Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Plan Requests
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EAW BH760

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centauri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2011 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by Com4tee Com4tee wrote:

I checked the driver excursion @ 16 Volt and it reaches 9 mm max @ 30 hz ie. 130W @ 8 ohms per speaker seems to be the limit. Is there anything I can do to fix my design? Rear chamber manipulation helps a little but at the expense of SPL and group delay

The Xmax of the Delta is 4.8mm, so 9mm is way too much.  For any box, if you want to reach sub frequencies with decent power handling, then long excursion drivers are a must - no way around that.  Off-the-shelf drivers with the sort of parameters that Marjan mentioned before are around, but not very cheap - some of the Shenzhen Ande speakers from China look good for the money, but unsure of long term reliability, and it depends on whether you can get hold of them anyway.
Com4tee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Com4tee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2011 at 5:01am
Centauri, I thought I could push it to physical limit of 13 mm. http://eminence.com/pdf/delta-12lfa.pdf Probably distortion would be high since we are out of linearity window, but speaker shall survive. Right or wrong?
Com4tee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Com4tee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2011 at 5:14am

MarjanM I plan to make 2 boxes each 2 speakers. total 4 speakers. I believed that 2P in offset driver section in hornresp means two speakers connected in paralell side firing into the horn. Am I right? What parameter makes you say there are  4 boxes?

Centauri View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centauri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2011 at 5:15am
The emphasis should be on SOUND, not speaker survivability.....  operation outside the linear area will result in increased distortion, which is something that should always be avoided.

In any case, the predicted excursion outside Xmax will not be accurate due to the non-linearities - more and more voltage will be required to push the cone further due to less and less voice coil in the gap.
Centauri View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centauri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2011 at 5:19am

What parameter makes you say there are  4 boxes?

You are modelling in 1/8 space, which is equivalent to 4 boxes sitting on the floor.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2011 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by Centauri Centauri wrote:

What parameter makes you say there are  4 boxes?

You are modelling in 1/8 space, which is equivalent to 4 boxes sitting on the floor.

Exactly, you should model in 2pi not 0.5.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Com4tee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Com4tee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2011 at 1:22pm
Hmm I thought that I'm simply putting my sub into the corner of a theoretical room, where it is going to be used in fact, rather than modelling 4 boxes in open cosmos... I must be missing something... can you explain little further, or point me to knowledge source on that?
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2011 at 1:30pm
That is actually same. One box corner loaded have almost same performance as 4 boxes stacked in one pile on the floor.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Com4tee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Com4tee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2011 at 1:53am
I have edited my orginal post with summary of your remarks. Thanks for them. Taught me something. Ciare 12.00 SW seems to be great choice for the box (dug it somewhere in kf940 posts). Still not what EAW claims to achieve, but waaay better. I suggested enclosure changes to make it compatible with Ciare. I will try to swap my LFA's for Ciare in the future, unfortunately they are not that popular, so getting them cheap/used is rather impossible
Drift_Rob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drift_Rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2021 at 4:17am
Hello friends, someone here has already done or knows the details of EAW730, can you help me build one based on it ??
T-Bone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T-Bone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2021 at 12:20am
I think the new Faital 12RS1066 will work with this sub. Old design but can be revived with a new set of Italian 12" woofers.
BASS, how low can you go!
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2021 at 1:04am
I have been looking at the 12rs1066, I am tempted to design a sort of 'punisher v4' with it, not that I would call it that. 
https://www.facebook.com/voyager.system

@voyager_soundsystem
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>