Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bass Bin Cabinets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassjunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bass Bin Cabinets
    Posted: 06 July 2005 at 6:54pm

Hi ppl

I have been reading this forum recently, its a wicked forum. Took me ages to find I though.

I wanted some help regarding some bass bins. At the moment we require 4/6 bass bins for our rig. We have seen quiet a few riggers using the following:

Reverse loaded bass bins (built similar spec to T18 EV Bass Bins)

Loaded with EV EVX 180A/B DRIVERS.

I found the company that sells them but they want £1500+, JUST FOR TWO BASS BINS (Way to much for the two bins). But I dont want the them loaded with EV drivers. I have currenty decided to use/stick with B and C drivers 18inch TBX series. Due to thier pricing & power output which I have experienced for myself. Does anyone know if the X1 plan on speaker plans is similar to the cab design of the EV T18 Bass Bin. I have got a basic spec sheet for the EV T18 Bass bins, is there any company or person out there who constructs cabinets similar to this?

All advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by bassjunkie
Bass Junkie
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2005 at 7:40pm
Have you considered just buying some Looney Bins.  They're actually really good value for money by the time you've factored in wood, driver, hardware, time, etc
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2005 at 9:03am

I agree, the Looney bin looks like a real deal for the guys in UK.

Get two per side, they will kill four T-18 per side, and need less than half the power.

DIY is great if you have the time, tools, and skill. If you subtract the BOM for a Looney it only works out to 20 hours of overtime (net) for me. I'm not sure I could completly finish out one in 20 hours, and I have experience in speaker building.

djk
whitehousejamie View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitehousejamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2005 at 10:58am
Would 2 looneys per side work well though? I thought it was a minimum of 4.

Edited by whitehousejamie
bassjunkie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassjunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2005 at 12:36pm

Thanks for that folks. But the looney bins are quiet expensive for me as I am working with a really tight budget  . What drivers does the looney bins use? Can you just buy the cabs alone and load them with your own drivers. Does anyone know any companies in the UK that will build Bass Bin cabinets to a spec of T18 EV Bass Bin or similar.

Bass Junkie

Bass Junkie
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2005 at 6:34pm

The Looneys use the Void 1000 driver (under £200 each) and were specially modified from the 1850 design for them.  The problem with substitiuting another driver is there are only a few out there that are suitable for that kind of output in that kind of cab, the Void and the PD being 2 of them.

How about telling us your budget and we can give you some suggestions of what you might get for it and how loud/low you might expect.

Have you considered the Punisher horn?  Cheap driver (£99) but looks fairly complicated to build

Edited by norty303

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassjunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2005 at 10:02am

My budget is about £1000-£1500 (For about 4) Bass-Bins. Preferably B and C loaded, just needed cabs as I can pick B and C drivers quiet cheap!  . Why do you think that company charges so much for its bass-bins come off it people £1500 for second cabs loaded with EV drivers aint exactly cheap. Take a look at thier site:

www.langley-uk.com

Bass Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassjunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2005 at 10:06am
How about getting cabs made to the design/spec of the X1 Cabs (making them slightly bigger) and loading them with B and C drivers. Anyone know anyone who can build these cabs or similar cabs to it?
Bass Junkie
whitehousejamie View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitehousejamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2005 at 10:13am

Right, what type of music will they be used for?

Indoor or outdoor?

How many people?

What Mid/Tops and amps will you be using?

norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2005 at 10:16am
Yeah, you're talking about very different designs and purposes between the Looney and X1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassjunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2005 at 10:32am

we currently use 6x EV T251 Tops and have Crown MA 3600vz for tops. And have Crown MA5200VZ for about 4/6 bins. Venues range from 100-1,500+. Music played ranges from hip-hop to drum and bass. Indoor use only.

Bass Junkie
Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2005 at 8:14pm

Pro Audio Parts has some loaded ready made folded horns and X1's they're selling cheap.

http://www.proaudioparts.co.uk/usedanddemo.asp

£400 each Folded horn with 15 inch PD158 made from 18mm ply with castors or

£400 each X1 bandpass with 18 inch Void V18-1000 made of 18mm ply with castors.

So 4x bins will work out at £1600. Just 100 quid over your budget limit but surelly u can afford that.

Edited by ToXiC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>