Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

sorting out my internet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sKs01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sorting out my internet
    Posted: 30 December 2008 at 12:16am
for a few years my internet hasnt been runing quite right neither torrents or any p2p protocols are actualy able to download anything,

i have been told its an issue with the ip adress of the router and the data packets not knowing where to go but being rather ham fisted with a pc i just let things be and actualy payed for software... mostly.

now however im looking to get cubase and im not shelling out that much frankly, anyone care to explain what i need to do or whats going wrong? 
You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2008 at 12:36am
Make sure you have the correct ports forwarded from the router to your pc for the apps you want to run. There's a sheadload of guides for this on the net.
elretardo87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elretardo87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2008 at 1:00am
This site has guides fore most routers and programes.

http://portforward.com/
sKs01 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sKs01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2008 at 1:48am
much obliged gents

You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself.
bitcore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitcore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2008 at 8:14pm
If you have an old linksys router, WRT54G, you need something different. Those boxes can only handle a limited amount of connections in it's state table (on the order of a thousand, and once you open one, it's open for at least 60 minutes, sometimes wither or not the connection gets closed or not. Bittorrent opens and closes hundreds of connections, constantly, so you can see how the little router will simply clog up after a few minutes of use, before the torrent has any time to gain any speed.)
The hardware in those little boxes is simply too limp-wristed to handle the mass of TCP connections that bittorrent throws at it.
You can flash custom firmware on it (DD-WRT, Tomato, etc) and raise the connection limit according to how much memory the device has, but in most cases you can't because they neutered it with 8mb of ram... And it's sort of an involved process that can turn your router into a brick if you do it wrong.

Edited by bitcore - 30 December 2008 at 8:17pm
sKs01 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sKs01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2008 at 8:39pm
its a new ish belkin chap, went through all the things to do on portforward.com but for some reason my router keeps on refusing me to open a port so azerus (the bit torrent client that i was using years ago don't know if theirs anything better about theese days) still says its firewalled Confused
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2008 at 1:35pm
Also don't forget XP has a limit of 10 concurrent TCP/IP connections.

Al patches and registry edits at your own risk. Risk of drowning and sexual disease if not handled properly. Linux uses do not need to apply this patch as they have big beards. Blah!
It's everything, not everythink!
COWFOOT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COWFOOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2008 at 1:39pm
Whatcha all think of Windows Vista?
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2008 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by bitcore bitcore wrote:

If you have an old linksys router, WRT54G, you need something different. Those boxes can only handle a limited amount of connections in it's state table (on the order of a thousand, and once you open one, it's open for at least 60 minutes, sometimes wither or not the connection gets closed or not. Bittorrent opens and closes hundreds of connections, constantly, so you can see how the little router will simply clog up after a few minutes of use, before the torrent has any time to gain any speed.)
The hardware in those little boxes is simply too limp-wristed to handle the mass of TCP connections that bittorrent throws at it.
You can flash custom firmware on it (DD-WRT, Tomato, etc) and raise the connection limit according to how much memory the device has, but in most cases you can't because they neutered it with 8mb of ram... And it's sort of an involved process that can turn your router into a brick if you do it wrong.

Sticking Tomato on my WRT54G took about twenty minutes, was dead easy and I've never had any issues with heavy usage once I setup decent L7 QoS. Thing is, almost all 'consumer grade' routers are incredibly light on memory and it's not uncommon to get a max of 4MB spare after loading the OS on most routers on the shelves today.

The TCP limitation on XP is not what people think, and any results from increasing it are just a placebo effect. It will not really impact torrent usage, let alone normal browsing and emails.

sKs: On the Belkins you have to 'save all' or whatever they call it on the settings, then restart the router. I think it's under a 'tools' page somewhere in the interface. If you don't do this it won't apply the settings and will lose them on a reboot of the router.

I'd recommend µTorrent over Azureus as well.

Edited by toastyghost - 31 December 2008 at 1:55pm
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2008 at 2:15pm
Quote Whatcha all think of Windows Vista?

I just bought a new Acer base unit with Vista Home Premium pre-intalled which I intended to remove and install XP Pro.  However, Acer use a system where the boot disk data is held on a hidden partition on the HD and to cut a long story short, spent 4 days mucking about, only to just about end up back with Vista again - so i thought I'd try it....    next is probably a dual boot but for some reason the HD really doesn't like you messing with the 2 existing partitions in any way, which is a shame coz there's so much wasted space on the Vista one.

Its not so bad, apart from I have a home network with all the other machines on XP and getting the 2 to talk effectively to each other IS A F**KIN NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!!!!  I still have problems with folder permissions due to either owner, creator or some other pissy violation that XP just handled.  It's handling of basic error/system messages is also fairly hilarious.
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2008 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by COWFOOT COWFOOT wrote:

Whatcha all think of Windows Vista?

Soon, I'll upgrade my CPU, and double my 2gb DDR2 mem, and get a separate Windows HD, so I can run Vista at the same speed I run XP now, without an upgrade.Wink
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2008 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by norty303 norty303 wrote:

Its not so bad, apart from I have a home network with all the other machines on XP and getting the 2 to talk effectively to each other IS A F**KIN NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!!!!  I still have problems with folder permissions due to either owner, creator or some other pissy violation that XP just handled.  It's handling of basic error/system messages is also fairly hilarious.

That'll be because they took it upon themselves to assume you'd be using it on an Active Directory network. It makes it near impossible to use any non-Windows secured Samba shares because it prepends your domain onto your typed in username without warning, breaking authentication Angry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>