Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DMX controller recommendations.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minaximal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2009 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by tvi675 tvi675 wrote:

Originally posted by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 mk2_ginger_biscuit69 wrote:

nothing a downloadable crack wont fix Wink.

Although something that we would take a very dim and very strong legal view against!

It is possible to use your computer's sound card for sound to light functionality, however you do need a piece of our hardware connected over USB to activate this function. Why? Well, we give you 18 universes of DMX, media and LED control with impressive functionality for nothing so it's only fair to shell out a few hundred to get an Audio Interface that will do the job properly and pay our wages!

Regards,

Matt Lemon
ChamSys Ltd

busted!LOL

but nice to see you hear mr chamsys!

Subs + Barges = :)

www.metaacoustics.com

tvi675 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tvi675 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2009 at 4:54pm
I'll have to keep an eye on here now, we don't tend to get talked about much on sound forums but a search throws up a few mentions!

Plus we need to make sure that you're not starting up a cracking sideline to speaker building Wink

Edited by tvi675 - 15 January 2009 at 4:54pm
Matt Lemon - matt@chamsys.co.uk
ChamSys Ltd - www.chamsys.co.uk
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2009 at 5:22pm
Hi Matt

You'll find there's quite a few of us sound guys into lights too, and there's some familiar faces from Blue Room over here too  Wink

I think you'll find most of the Chamsys fans over here own some of your hardware so I wouldn't be too concerned by the comments of Mr biscuit...
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2009 at 5:41pm
And some of us are lighting guys in the first place...

regarding the origional question, depending on the dmx options in the unit and how much control you want, you may get away with a simple 6 channel desk with master control. (all cans using the same address)

a common dmx layout for led pars is

ch 1 red
ch2 green
ch3 blue
ch4 macros
ch5 strobe (including individualy random trigger)
ch6 various pre programmed chases (including individualy triggered sound to light)

obviously its limited but if your prepared to practice with it you can certainly give you self more control than just crazy speed sound to light. plus its dead simple and cheap.

Edited by imageoven - 15 January 2009 at 5:52pm
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2009 at 6:15pm
didnt say i had a crack, hence the 'Wink', was just a passing thought if you were really that bothered... its way too small/specilist a product to attract the crackers.

sorry if i alarmed any of you chamsys lot, nice to see how many manufactorers browse these forums.

rest assured you can keep your energy focused on more important things like making lovely new products Smile
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2009 at 8:47am

Slightly off topic I know, but as a mobile DJ, a laptop based DMX package would be cool for me!

However, I'm also a Mac freak (once you go Mac, you don't go back) - does the Chamsys system work on OSX?

Also, could somebody point me in the direction of the interface between the laptop and the light (I presume a USB/firewire to XLR box of some kind).

Edited by djgorey - 16 January 2009 at 8:50am
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2009 at 9:02am
I've not tried it (PC only but would love a Mac) but the website has a Mac version for download. As for a usb to dmx convertor, Maplin do one, i got one of these originally but couldn't get it to work (its a kit so i may have spazed it) but i now use the enttec open dongle which has been fine. Also, don't forget Chamsys do an amazing range of bits from basic convertors through to large scale festival desks and as mentioned earlier, you get the full functions of the software but even with other systems like the enttec you're not missing much. Like it so much i think I'll be getting a desk soon enough.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=46502&doy=16m1&C=SO&U=strat15

http://www.chamsys.co.uk/default.asp?p=start.asp

http://www.enttec.com/index.php?main_menu=Products&pn=70303&show=description

norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2009 at 9:04am
Worth noting that Chamsys only reccommend using the Pro box from Enttec
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2009 at 9:04am
Cheers!  I can see a spend coming on (but only a small one, thanks to software price!!)

I've always fancied getting the lighting sorted and with a nice computer based system like this (not expensive at all really - even the Enntec one is roughly the same price as Maplins), it allows me to play around with it at home.

I thought I'd stopped spending money on lighting!

Edited by djgorey - 16 January 2009 at 9:10am
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2009 at 11:33am
What is this about usb/dmx interfaces and fried laptops
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2009 at 12:39pm
I suspect thats to do with the design of some interfaces not using isolated DMX I/O.

This means that any power that finds its way onto a DMX line can get passed back to the laptop/lighting desk with obvious results.  Something to check when buying an interface as few quid more at the start could save you a lot of quids later on.
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2009 at 1:20pm
So any recommendations of which units to avoid and which to use.
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>