Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PC SPEED

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2009 at 4:00am
Regarding graphics cards, if you are never going to play games or do any sort of intensive 3D work then a stock card will do the job more than adequately.

ATI have always historically been better than nVidia in this department (not sure about the most recent ones).  Video editing and 2D graphics work like photoshop rely more on disk and RAM than they do a fancy graphics card.
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
Bespoke View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bespoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2009 at 6:57pm
I have norton 360 but it just ran out and i keep getting f***King pop ups ...... can i get rid of this and use a free prog ?
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2009 at 7:09pm
Use the Norton removal tool and then install one of the free options.  I use AVG free, but others will have their favourites such Kaspersky.

My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
Bespoke View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bespoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2009 at 7:39pm
Thank you very much
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2009 at 9:18pm
I don't use any AV software as I havent found one that doesn't slow my PC down appreciably. CCleaner, spybot, etc seem to do a good enough job.

The essential is the noscript extension for firefox, stops any scripts executing on a page unless you whitelist it. Haven't had a nasty in years and haven't had to reformat for about 5 years. PC still runs fine.

Oh and uninstall everything using revo uninstaller to get all the registry keys etc removed that the usual uninstallers always leave.

Prevention is better than cure with crap on your PC imo.
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2009 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by nickyburnell nickyburnell wrote:

Best way to make a pc run faster: Maintain it properly. Defrag lots, NEVER take any notice of the, "You don't need to defrag" nonsence in XP or Vista, just force it. Download CCleaner and run it weekly. Download Malwarebytes and run it weekly. Run chkdsk /r monthly (not if raid 5) and get lots of memory (RAM). 2gb on XP 3+ on Vista. Never have Norton or McAffee or similar. IMHO NOD32 or Kaspersky are best. For a free one then Avast.
 Overclocking, don't bother Tim, you'll never notice the difference for emai & web.
 If it's still crap, format & start again, some are never gonna be good though.
 PC's are just like any other subject, ask Google ;) I'm a Windows/Network/Domain person. Lev can help with Linux I believe (this may be the future, Microsoft shedding lots of jobs). Norty obviously has lots of experience...maybe a section where we can help members, mods?

Nick, can you slow down with all the free advice gained from experience...

Some of us still trying to make a living from ill gotten gains. LOL

http://www.oldetimecooking.com/Images/tv/bonanza3.jpg

Edited by levyte357 - 04 January 2009 at 10:25pm
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
COWFOOT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COWFOOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2009 at 1:44am
I'm considering taking a nightschool course on pc basics.Like starting at the kindergarten level.
wafflesomd View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wafflesomd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2009 at 2:02am
How to make a pc fast:

Get rid of all the bloatware crap that is most likely on it.  Ditch the Anti-Virus.
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2009 at 3:41am
Originally posted by wafflesomd wafflesomd wrote:

How to make a pc fast:

Get rid of all the bloatware crap that is most likely on it.  Ditch the Anti-Virus.

Keep Kaspersky Internet Security though, or you'll be ditching the PC as well.

Couple of times now, Kaspersky has picked up viruses in downloaded mp3 files.Wink

Edited by levyte357 - 05 January 2009 at 3:50am
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2009 at 7:44am
Phwat, how can you have executable code in a data file levyte?

levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2009 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

Phwat, how can you have executable code in a data file levyte?

Originally posted by http://www.kaspersky.com/news?id=207575664 http://www.kaspersky.com/news?id=207575664 wrote:

Kaspersky Lab, a leading developer of secure content management systems, reports the detection of a malicious program that infects WMA audio files. The objective of the infection is to install a Trojan that gives a cybercriminal control of the user’s computer.

The worm, which was named Worm.Win32.GetCodec.a, converts mp3 files to the Windows Media Audio (WMA) format (without changing the .mp3 extension) and adds a marker with a link to an infected web page to the converted files. The marker is activated automatically during file playback. It opens an infected page in Internet Explorer where the user is asked to download and install a file which, according to the website, is a codec. If the user agrees to install the file, a Trojan known as Trojan-Proxy.Win32.Agent.arp is downloaded to the computer, giving cybercriminals control of the victim PC.

Unlike earlier Trojans, which used the WMA format only to mask their presence on the system (i.e., the infected objects were not music files), this worm infects audio files. According to Kaspersky Lab virus analysts, this is the first such case. The likelihood of a successful attack is increased because most users trust their audio files and do not associate them with possible infections. It should be noted that the file on the counterfeit web page is digitally signed by Inter Technologies and is identified by www.usertrust.com, the resource that issued the digital signature, as trusted.

Immediately after Worm.Win32.GetCodec.a was detected, its signatures were added to Kaspersky Lab’s antivirus databases.

Kaspersky detects infectious music files, immediately after download completion.Wink

Edited by levyte357 - 05 January 2009 at 12:51pm
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2009 at 3:06pm
Pffft wma. If any of those got downloaded they would be deleted out of hand anyway :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>