Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best or Worst ISP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2009 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by nickyburnell nickyburnell wrote:

I'm sure they have done the math, it'll be presuming that no one goes near that limit as if they all did the math wouldn't work out. So IMHO an advertising gimmick.
 As for the static IP, that's what caught my eye, there was no option just static, and as most providers charge extra I'm even more warey.
 Regards
Nick

It doesn't cost any money to assign static IPs and is generally much easier to maintain your network when assigning only statics - at the initial point of order we offer up to 8 (5 usable after router and broadcast assignment) for free. After that we only charge a nominal admin fee for editing the RADIUS template for your user if you need to regrade to a different number of fixed IPs.

We do need justification for more than 8 simply to pass onto RIPE though.

Oh, and all ISPs trade on the basis that 99% of users will never go near the limits. We do truly unlimited connections at a sensible price for it; £79+VAT and on that it's sold more on the peace of mind factor of not having to worry about limits, rather than targeting those that are going to use it excessively. That said, we do have several users pulling in over a terabyte a month but because we advertise it as unlimited we honour it.

Doesn't take much to be honest after all. Sadly, there's almost no money in DSL and most providers will offset it somehow, whether that is selling additional and more profitable services such as telephony, TV etc or selling your advertising details to the highest bidder.
keilamym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keilamym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2009 at 6:32pm
aol has got to the be the worst for people that knows computers...

i've had comcast dsl, adelphia cable, time warner cable and verizon dsl... i have verizon FIOS now and damn its fast... i've lovin it.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2009 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Doesn't take much to be honest after all. Sadly, there's almost no money in DSL and most providers will offset it somehow, whether that is selling additional and more profitable services such as telephony, TV etc or selling your advertising details to the highest bidder.

They do seem to offer a lot of extra gaming related services such as Ventrilo and dedicate servers so thats probably helping.

I do like my PC gaming every now and again so I am seriously giving these guys a tryout. Will report back if I go for it.

I'm sure I wont get anywhere near even 100Gb a month but 50Gb is just perhaps a little too low. A housemate who likes watching a fair bit of iplayer and dancetripping videos doesn't take long to get through a Gb or two.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2009 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

I'm sure I wont get anywhere near even 100Gb a month but 50Gb is just perhaps a little too low.

Not too low unless you enjoy throwing money away Ouch
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2009 at 7:55pm
Nice to know the statics cost you nothing to implement, must have a word with my lot about the charge they are charging my customers. Also nice to know their is an unlimited service available which actually means it, £79 is reasonable IMO.
 I notice that BT are in the news for not wanting the next stage (the shareholders that is) of BB. Is this the proposed fibre to roadside box rollout?
It's everything, not everythink!
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2009 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

I'm sure I wont get anywhere near even 100Gb a month but 50Gb is just perhaps a little too low.

Not too low unless you enjoy throwing money away Ouch

It's more for my peace of mind so that I do not have to watch the bandwidth lest I get billed for every extra Gb which would really piss me off.

Sucks that the networks aren't more open though and every other operator has to piggy back on BT.
b3n View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b3n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2009 at 8:49pm
i think its stupid that isps are allowed to advertise unlimited broadband and then have caps. seems like a simple advertising standards breach to me. they should either recalculate the speed of there services to be profitable or be forced to clearly show the cap next to the speed. the only isp i have been happy with is bethere
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2009 at 9:46pm
Trading standards should get on the case with, "Mobile Broadband". No it's not, it's like dial up only more variable.
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2009 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by nickyburnell nickyburnell wrote:

I notice that BT are in the news for not wanting the next stage (the shareholders that is) of BB. Is this the proposed fibre to roadside box rollout?

The opposition is that they want OFCOM to back off and not make them open up the proposed fibre network to competitors. The costs of laying fibre to every green cab is astronomical, even at a conservative estimate and not having to pay all that cash just to let your competitors use it is an understandable qualm, albeit not a particularly good one for the general public.

As for 'unlimited' advertising, it's been taken to ASA twice and both times it was deemed that the fair use policy documents are easily accessible enough, even when they're incredibly vague, for the advertising not to be misleading - something I personally strongly disagree with.

I think it's better to have a clear limit and easy to monitor usage graphing tools then a hidden one. When you hit the limit though, it should then warn you and ask you if you want to pay any more for extra usage rather than just billing you automatically - this is something we do although it could be a bit more graceful. Unfortunately I don't have the power to completely change our customer facing account admin tools, and have to raise my own gripes with evidence on a case by case basis; although I do totally understand the reasons for that being in place.

I don't have any qualms about showing my download usage and am open to suggestions whether people are customers or not, so here's a screenshot of our current customer tool for viewing daily usage:

I care a lot about the company I work for, because despite the occasional disagreement I have with the way things are done it is possible to get changes made if there is a good reason to do so, and we're actively encouraged to absorb opinions and suggestions so that we can continually improve how we do things.

Edited by toastyghost - 12 January 2009 at 10:10pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2009 at 11:50pm
I wasn't aware of Zen really, it's nice to know I have an alternative now if need be.
Fast, my ISP have helped with some horrible faults in this area. On five occasions I have had customers getting DNS resolved at router but no Internet. Pings worked with IP addresses but not names. This of course looked like classic browser or winsock issues. Even when changing the router and PC in the customers premises the ISP's did not believe. Tiscali and AOL actually said leave then! Upon migrating these people to Fast and subsiquently them having the same fault (I had already warned Fast) they then kept on and on, forcing BT visits, getting billed for them as the NUMPTY Open Reach engineers couldn't work it out, and finally they lift and shift the kit in the Exchange, voila, all was well. This is on five occasions don't forget, and still BT cannot cross reference the faults to see that they indeed did/do have faulty equipment that gives the impression of faulty software. So I am glad there is another ISP (Zen) that is as savvy. Must be nice working for a company that listens.Thumbs Up
 Two recomendations then people, Zen & Fast.Ying Yang
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2009 at 12:37am
Nicky: That'll be a transit issue - it's bloody hard to make them realise and prove it especially with the current climate of engineers trained in the bare minimum to get in a van, but it is a BT recognised fault type and there are testing tools for it.

Thing is, BT can't cross reference faults themselves as legislation kind of prevents it. They certainly can't mention any details to another ISP if there are customers of their competitors having the same fault. They can work on it on their end if pushed but they can't ever really admit it externally til it's finished, by which point nobody cares.

Essentially, the top guys in BT have had all their power and ability to take credit for good work taken away in the name of meeting targets set out by a governing body, so when you do get somebody good it's a miracle and you keep their details for future reference to try and avoid having to explain something supposedly complex like cross-jumpering to the swathes of foreign by-the-numbers call centre staff. And you thought doing sound was a thankless job!
Matute View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2009 at 5:16am
"Hmm... difficult to see... always in motion is the future..."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>