Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best or Worst ISP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best or Worst ISP
    Posted: 05 January 2009 at 7:55pm
I've got pages on this, name and shame time!
There is an honest ISP out there, one that you pay for a specific GB of download per month, one that only has a three month contract, one that does not throttle, goes faster in the evenings and answers the phone in one ring speaking ENGLISH.
I've transferred custmers fom othe ISP's with countryside long line or DAX issues and they have sorted them all 100%. I get 750 plus downloading Linux distros any evening.
 To put their name here would be advertising, PM's welcome. They are not cheap.

It's everything, not everythink!
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2009 at 8:11pm
so who is the worst..?
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
b3n View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b3n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2009 at 8:55pm
I use the only isp that gives you truly unlimited adsl2+ connection (as in up to 24mb/s depending on how far you are from the exchange) and no download limits for £22 a month. Never had any complaints, fast tech savey customer service people and excelent user community.
Im sure you can find out who they are.

[rant]
also the one owned by richard branson are a pile of sh*t, smarmy two faced liars.
[/rant]
Tip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2009 at 10:03pm
Me and my friends have between us used lots of isp's.

Overall virgin's blueyonder cable service trounces all the rest.

But if you are not in a cable area then be broadband are about the best of the rest.
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2009 at 10:04pm
Richard Branson sold that long ago. Nice to have 24mb available, that'll be a long time here.
 Worst? Well based on customer support, that's me talking on behalf of customer the worst in order: Orange, AOL, Talk Talk (same thing now) Tiscali. Orange and AOL will refuse to call BT for a fault even when you bypass house wiring, change PC and Router. AOL and TT have two tier support, I'm good at Asian accents so that doesn't bother me but they are incapable of picking a fault up on the next call without starting again. AOL download speeds can be OK, just dont use the softwarePig
 For me though Tiscali's contention ratios have to be the biggest joke. My next door neighbor but one was on Tiscali, 8mb bollox, he is a very savvy network admin, we did same file at same time here and at his, I got 700 plus kbps, he got 44. Unlimited for sure, just half meg speedLOL
BP Sound can tell you of some nice NTL cable issues, like the whole street down for weeks, petitions the lot!
 b3n... what kb/s are you seeing from the Oxford Uni Mirror here http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/download
I'd be very obliged if you would let me know.
 Thanks
 BT call centre: Phone very early, get Ireland so I'm told.
tweeter box View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tweeter box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2009 at 2:51pm
worst - AOL

best - hhhmmm still undecided
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2009 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by nickyburnell nickyburnell wrote:

I've got pages on this, name and shame time!
There is an honest ISP out there, one that you pay for a specific GB of download per month, one that only has a three month contract, one that does not throttle, goes faster in the evenings and answers the phone in one ring speaking ENGLISH.
I've transferred custmers fom othe ISP's with countryside long line or DAX issues and they have sorted them all 100%. I get 750 plus downloading Linux distros any evening.
 To put their name here would be advertising, PM's welcome. They are not cheap.

From your description, I have a feeling I may work for them. Or at least someone like them (just spotted the 'three month contract', we're only one month)

Edited by toastyghost - 06 January 2009 at 2:56pm
Wrighty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2009 at 3:06pm
Is it Zen by any chance? I've only ever heard good things about them, but they're not cheap.

We're with Eclipse and very happy with the service and support, as are many other friends and colleagues.
ALL YOUR BASS ARE BELONG TO US.
cnics View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2009 at 3:17pm
I've been with tiscali for 2 and a half years.  It does me for what i want as a rule but it's not GOOD by any stretch.   I went through a very bad phase whereby i lost connection frequently and it was very slow. However it seems to have cleared up now. It's not mega fast but it's fast enough for me, the exchange is only on the next but 1 street though. 
Rob Beech - Technical Director - Cnics Audio
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2009 at 3:20pm
Just checked out Zen, and whilst I approve of them being upfront about data limits they don't seem to offer anything amazingly special for the home user considering the price. Maybe you're paying for good tech support.

I've been with BT for a while, I hate their terrible tech support but I do like the fact that if you have a line problem it probably will get fixed. Something they've done recently has knocked the line speed up to about 3.5Mb so that works for me.

However I am now out of contract with them so I would consider changing to another smaller and better ISP for £30 a month or so. I just want generous download limits. Don't want to spend my days watching the amount of data sent (which isn't reliable anyway).
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2009 at 7:05pm

[/QUOTE]

From your description, I have a feeling I may work for them. Or at least someone like them (just spotted the 'three month contract', we're only one month)
[/QUOTE]
Actually it could be a month. Are they, "Fast" ;
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2009 at 7:08pm
Not Zen, Eclipse seem fine when I've dealt with them, silly email setup if I remember, something about taking a day to register???
 As I DONT work for them I might as well say.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>