Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

linux???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J Arthur Rank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: linux???
    Posted: 14 January 2009 at 9:13am
I have just got hold of another base station, and am looking into trying out linux ubuntu on the thing.
Does anyone else use linux, and what do they use it for mainly??
b3n View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b3n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2009 at 12:43pm
i use debian testing on my laptop
does pretty much everything i need day to day
web, email, office, graphics, ftp, msn etc etc
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2009 at 12:49pm
Ubuntu, used it a bit, still having wireless issues last time I looked, had to add DNS manually to NW settings. No big deal.
 Lev knows Linux I believe?
It's everything, not everythink!
LjudLahger View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2009 at 12:54pm
I have tried Ubuntu on my laptop and boot with an USB memory. I have to say that it did work amazing! Lightning fast if you compare too Vista and everything did work like bluetooth, network, graphic, card reader, speakers and the touch buttons! And I didn't have to install any drivers! But it is different and I still use Vista, not all my softwere works with linux...

It is nice to install Linux on older computers, thay will run just fine with it if the purpus is just to surf or maby do a home server Wink
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2009 at 8:52pm
i've used linux as my everyday OS for about 4 years now. what do you mean "base station"?
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2009 at 9:32pm
Think he means PC
It's everything, not everythink!
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2009 at 9:58pm
heh.. k... coulda been some fancy new eh gadget.. i dunno.. like a blackberry or a playstation or something.. i'm rubbish at knowing about new stuff in computers. old computers ftw.
J Arthur Rank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J Arthur Rank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2009 at 10:21am
Base Unit, Box with all the gubbins in, thing that sits by you feet...etc etc.

I have acquired 2 of these boxes from my wifes closing office.
Both hp, core 2 with xp which is locked and cause the IT blokes been made redundant, we can't unlock them. So i have wiped the hd's and put linux on them.

Only problem is i aint getting on with linux.

So i have downloaded the beta Windows 7 to try on one of them.

And it does work, quite well i must add.

I was just looking for some feedback on why i should bother with linux.?
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2009 at 6:27pm
Linux is the best option if you want a machine to sit in the corner and just do stuff all day/week/year.  Any kind of server type stuff and it's great.

For use on a desktop that depends what you want to do.  If you just want to browse the internet and basic office stuff you'll be fine.  It's a reasonable learning curve if you're not used to it because you'll have to find new applications for a lot of the stuff you want to do.

I keep meaning to change to Linux because Windows annoys me but it's quite a big step to use it on your desktop all the time.

cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2009 at 7:08pm
yeah.. if you can get your head around the concept of other software, and indeed.. other ways of things working, and if you enjoy the process of using computers.. it's interesting. tbh i think it's almost harder for a windows "power user" to move over.. you think you know a good bit about computers.. it can be hard to accept that you don't, and you've just learned your way around windows.

what's great is the amount of choice there is in ways of doing things, but even working out what all your options are can take time. how i run my computer wouldn't suit everyone, but i wouldn't want it to put anyone off either.

as is often said.. ubuntu is a good one to start with, or to look at. download and burn a live cd.. and you can boot it and play about in the enivronment without installing it / changing anything about your existing setup.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2009 at 7:08pm
If I didn't ever want to play games on my PC I would have switched ages ago. As it happens I just dual boot these days.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2009 at 7:15pm
yeah games stops a lot of people. i don't play any games. makes me slightly sad when people blame linux systems, when it's the game companies who make their stuff work on limited platforms. i dont' really know anything about game development though tbh.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>