Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

linux???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2009 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

yeah games stops a lot of people. i don't play any games. makes me slightly sad when people blame linux systems, when it's the game companies who make their stuff work on limited platforms. i dont' really know anything about game development though tbh.

Its all about financial viability.

Unix/Linux folk tend to want software they either download and run, or download and compile.  Its usually only Corp setups that will spend thousands on maintenance contracts, and licensing fees.

So it is with games. Not many Unix folk will pay top dollar for games, unlike PC/PlayBox users.

So Unix/Linux only ends up with few ports by someof the really strong players.

However, 10 years ago it was unbelievable, playing network quake on a Sparcstation under X, and finding out, all the levels of the PC full game CD worked on the Sun box, just by copying them off. Big smile

Edited by levyte357 - 15 January 2009 at 7:47pm
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2009 at 7:52pm
i have a sparcstation here... heh.. it's not up to much though heh.
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2009 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

yeah games stops a lot of people. i don't play any games. makes me slightly sad when people blame linux systems, when it's the game companies who make their stuff work on limited platforms. i dont' really know anything about game development though tbh.

Its all about financial viability.

Unix/Linux folk tend to want software they either download and run, or download and compile.  Its usually only Corp setups that will spend thousands on maintenance contracts, and licensing fees.

So it is with games. Not many Unix folk will pay top dollar for games, unlike PC/PlayBox users.

So Unix/Linux only ends up with few ports by someof the really strong players.

However, 10 years ago it was unbelievable, playing network quake on a Sparcstation under X, and finding out, all the levels of the PC full game CD worked on the Sun box, just by copying them off. Big smile

0ooh, you've been aroundLOL
It's everything, not everythink!
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2009 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by nickyburnell nickyburnell wrote:

0ooh, you've been aroundLOL

You better believe it mate, my final year at uni, had me writing assemblers, and extending  signal handling in MINIX kernel for coursework.

No, I wont explain what that all means. Wink
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2009 at 3:14pm

i have a sparcstation here... heh.. it's not up to much though heh.

That was back when Investment Banks still had enough money to put a Sparcstation and a PC on each Senior UNIX developer's desk. LOL
El Cheapo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El Cheapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2009 at 4:40pm
Lev, what did you do at uni? Surely assembler/machine code or whatever is not tought now? Was it AI by any chance? You lost me on the signal handling/MINIX, but I'll stay lostEmbarrassed
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2009 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by El Cheapo El Cheapo wrote:

Lev, what did you do at uni? Surely assembler/machine code or whatever is not tought now? Was it AI by any chance? You lost me on the signal handling/MINIX, but I'll stay lostEmbarrassed

Think the question should be what didnt I do at Uni.. LOL

It was a Computer Systems Technology Degree, which basically means Computer Science, but with bias towards Operating System theory & Systems Programming/hardware, instead of application programming.

Was lovley coming out of UNI, with 4 years SunOS/Solaris Experience. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12