Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Complicated

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Complicated
    Posted: 20 January 2009 at 12:59am

This is really not the place for this but I'm on here and we have some, "Graduates". LOL

I'm going to format anyhow but has anyone seen this:
PC Cannot connect to any AV sites. It is TOTALLY free of bugs. If I INSTALL Kaspersky (from external source) the problem disapears, PC can connect to any AV site. Kaspersky finds no bugs. If I remove Kaspersky then back to square one. Hosts file folder \system32\Drivers\etc is empty?? No proxy issues, flushed DNS, fixed winsock. Had major hassle getting rid of CA AV but gone. It's like Kaspersky allows the blocked ports to work if it's installed......if it is blocked ports though, as it's only AV sites, so some sort of modified setting that Kaspersky's engine doesn't use.. I'm rambling, tired.
 Seriously, very, very weird.
It's everything, not everythink!
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2009 at 1:39am
Blow the current partition out the airlock, and re-install OS dude.

If you have clearance to re-install, life is too short, to try figuring it out.

But not being able to access any AV site, sounds like a virus/worm to me.
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2009 at 9:38am
Having given up in at the customers premises that was my plan, so brought it back to base. Just thought I'd have a fiddle first. Somehow Kaspersky takes over hosts files job I presume. You are correct, life is too short but she was watching soaps and I really hate being beaten!
It's everything, not everythink!
JaKe View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaKe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2009 at 9:47am
It  seems as though Kaspersky is nobbling something, maybe give them a call, it is usually easy to get through to someone who knows what they are talking about there.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2009 at 10:01am
What error does the browser give? I don't just mean the IE 'can't connect' one, but the proper error.

Can you telnet to the site on port 80? If you can, what happens when you request the index page manually?
 Post Reply Post Reply