Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WANTED: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WANTED: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
    Posted: 20 January 2009 at 11:49am
WANTED: INTEL Core 2 Duo CPU

E4300, E6300, E6600

With orig packaging & heatsink/fan unit (preferably intel stock item),

Looking to pay approx £45-£65, depending on age,model, condition, location.

Was about to scoop unit off ebay for £50, but sellers feedback was concerning.

Cheers.

Edited by levyte357 - 20 January 2009 at 11:49am
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
JaKe View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaKe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2009 at 12:19pm
Not looking to overclock by any chance?
Here is one I was watching on fleabay for my sons PC but as car went kaput yesterday I need the cash.

Item number: 160309793372    this one I think is Conroe core with 2Mb cash disabled.

PS I use the Gigabyte DS3965p E6300 Allendale and corsair RAM @3150MHz rock solid and standard voltages (2.1V for mem which is within corsairs warranty conditions)

Edit should have  read post properly- after the retail version.
Jake

Edited by JaKe - 20 January 2009 at 12:23pm
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2009 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by JaKe JaKe wrote:

Not looking to overclock by any chance?

Overclocking, have no idea what you are referring to. Wink

Thanks for that ebay item mate, would prefer stock item with packaging/intel hsf, but would also take non retail if it all looks straight, and not "sun tanned".Wink

Edited by levyte357 - 20 January 2009 at 5:42pm
djcrude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djcrude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2009 at 11:00pm
Overclocking is the basicly forcing a computer component to run at a higher clock rate (more clock cycles per second) than it was designed for .....eg......runnin a speaker higher than its rms...it will damage it but will keep on going untill kaput same thing......ur basicly pushing the pc beyond its recomendation
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2009 at 12:26am
Originally posted by djcrude djcrude wrote:

Overclocking is the basicly forcing a computer component to run at a higher clock rate (more clock cycles per second) than it was designed for .....eg......runnin a speaker higher than its rms...it will damage it but will keep on going untill kaput same thing......ur basicly pushing the pc beyond its recomendation

I know, I was being sarcastic. LOL

I was overclocking 386DX25 to 40hz years ago mate. Now thats what you call overclocking.. LOL
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2009 at 1:01am
i have an old amstrad pcw here.. has a z80, 4mhz chip which is actually downclocked to 3.5 for some reason.
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2009 at 1:16am
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

i have an old amstrad pcw here.. has a z80, 4mhz chip which is actually downclocked to 3.5 for some reason.

Dont get me started on the Zilog Z80, that was the first chip I learnt assembly language on.

Did you know in Terminator 1, lots of the code displayed on the screen was 6502 commented assembly code?

Anyway, Core 2 Cpu please chappies..
SteveAATW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveAATW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2009 at 2:26am
Originally posted by djcrude djcrude wrote:

It's a bit of a myth that overclocking CPUs fries them. It may have changed with Core architecture but I think it's still the way that all chips from the same core step are fabbed in the same way. Wafer testing then reveals what speed each CPU can run at within stable limits on the factory spec heatsinks and then several links/diodes/whatever are blown on the silicon to create the clock multiplier factor and the chip is cased and stamped at the tested speed. Thus if you increase the cooling efficiency you can safely increase the clock speed without any harm coming to the chip.
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2009 at 11:00pm
RAM AGP/PCIE Ratio ususally the limiting factor! Had thhis Dual 3.4 up to 3.8, made no real world difference except the fan got louder. Now back to stock.

Assembly code:

Mad American!
It's everything, not everythink!
JaKe View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaKe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2009 at 11:25pm
Carefull selection of board Ram and CPU,  1.86GHZ e6300 - 3.15GHz e6300. Memory @ 900MHz on stock timings and within manufacturers recommended Volts, PCIe at 100MHz, chipset slightly over but stable at stock voltage.
When I overclocked it it outperformed Intels fastest non clocked CPU available.
Did the same with the Celeron 300a and 1.6 GHZ Northwood.
Every so often a combination comes up that makes it worthwhile.
 Post Reply Post Reply