Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

QSC EX4000?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2009 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

Local QSC expert, excellent.

I did all repairs for the BeNeLux importer for like 15 years, that's how I know these things first hand and have service manuals, factory internal info, part number lists and stuff like that.

Few things, I always wanted to know.
Does Mx3000a/EX4000 have dual Transformers & dual PSUs?

Yes they do have dual transformers and true seperate PSUs.
There's only one NTC ( soft start ) and one powerswitch, but apart from that, each channel works independant from the other. Seperate transformers, fuses and rectifiers. The electrolytic caps for each channel are on the main amp boards.
The only true independant amps QSC ever had, seperate power cords, switches and all, were the 3800's.

How does the 4050HD compare with the EX4000 on the bench?

The difference is marginal in terms of being measurable, let alone you could hear it in terms of dB's produced with speakers on it. I have all types in use on a variety of speaker systems ranging from 16 ohm to 2 Ohm and the only thing I can notice different, is that the RMX series tends to keep things a bit cooler, not by much though.

Do you have any internal pics of EX4000?

I don't have them, but can make some pictures the first time I have one for repair again.
The last time I had one, was a few months ago, so don't expect a picture right away Wink

Edited by Peter Jan - 21 January 2009 at 3:55pm
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2009 at 6:37pm

Originally posted by Peter Jan Peter Jan wrote:

The only difference over the years is that the first EX-4000 circuit boards had the step-up stages and temperature management build out of discrete components and they started using small smd boards to replace those sections.
Local QSC expert, excellent.Few things, I always wanted to know.Does Mx3000a/EX4000 have dual Transformers & dual PSUs?How does the 4050HD compare with the EX4000 on the bench?Do you have any internal pics of EX4000?Cheers.

Bare in mind that the EX 4000 is 22 year-old design. The MX 3000a offers the same power as the EX 4000. That was my choice (EX 4000) for low-mids many years ago before upgrading to the PL 6.0

The EX 4000 also weighs around 34.09 kgs and, has a very strong turn on surge.

Here is a photo I took close to 10 years ago.

">

I would say the RMX 4050 would be similiar to the EX 4000/MX 3000a in terms of performance.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2009 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

Here is a photo I took close to 10 years ago.

">

Well, here you see one channel, the other is upside down under it.
You can turn both amp sections mounted on the heatsink, upside down. That mirror mounting thing is very convenient for repairs as almost everything can be measured like it is in the picture.

ychole audio View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ychole audio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2009 at 4:17pm
   Can anyone provide the internal pics of the mx3000a so we can lay it side-by-side with the ex4000?Are the same on the layout on the inside? 
I am ZERIEL'S dad!!!
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2009 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by ychole audio ychole audio wrote:

Can anyone provide the internal pics of the mx3000a so we can lay it side-by-side with the ex4000 ? Are the same on the layout on the inside? 

I said it before a few times :
"the amps themselves are really entirely identical. There's not one single component different between them. All differences are situated in the add-ons. XLR connections or TRS jacks, rotary pots with steps or stepless, Speacon or binding post only, a few more indicator LED's on the front and an extra piece of metal in the front making the "pro" models a tiny bit stronger for heavy duty road use, but that's about it. I have service manuals of all QSC's and have layed the schematics side by side, I have repaired hundreds of QSC amps and JBL amps and have seen with my own eyes they are a true match. The only difference over the years is that the first EX-4000 circuit boards had the step-up stages and temperature management build out of discrete components and they started using small smd boards to replace those sections after a few years."

Edited by Peter Jan - 26 February 2009 at 4:56pm
la malta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote la malta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2009 at 11:20pm
I have a question for you guys.

The specs for the 4050hd say it's damping factor is >250 at 8 ohms impedance. Does anyone know what its damping factor is at 4 and 2 ohm loads per channel?
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2009 at 9:05am
Originally posted by la malta la malta wrote:

I have a question for you guys.

The specs for the 4050hd say it's damping factor is >250 at 8 ohms impedance. Does anyone know what its damping factor is at 4 and 2 ohm loads per channel?

>125 @ 4 Ohm and half of that @ 2 Ohm

Bob Lee (QSC) View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Lee (QSC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2009 at 11:18pm
The MX3000a and later version of the EX4000 are the same except for the display and input modules.

The EX4000 got an upgrade (slight boost in power rating, deleted HF/high-power limiting) when the MX3000a was developed.

Bob Lee
Apps Engnr, QSC Audio
Secretary, Audio Engineering Soc.
ryanbairan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanbairan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2009 at 3:49am
EX4000 was one of the best amplifier in soubd industryBig smile
 but try to check the capacitor some times it blows or embows,Confused

Sabbelbacke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabbelbacke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2010 at 7:30am
Hi there,

searching the web brought me here ..

I have a QSC EX4000 here with a blown transformer (and maybe other parts are fried as well). Does anyone happen to have a spare transformer or a partly broken amp to use as a replacement? I tried QSC Germany, but they are out of transformers and the shops I know who are able to build new ones don´t have the suitable core for this kind of transformer shape.

Thank you for any assistance.
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2010 at 5:24pm
Try QSC Belgium ( AED BVBA ). Last time I checked, they had them in stock.
Part n° is XF-000003-00 or XF-004000-00 and specify it's for either MX-3000a, EX-4000 or JBL MPX1200 or MPA1100. They are all identical.

Sabbelbacke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabbelbacke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2010 at 11:51am
Hello Peter,

thank you for this, I will contact them :) Hope they still have some and shipping isn´t too much to Germany.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>