Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DMX to IDLA interfaces

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveAATW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DMX to IDLA interfaces
    Posted: 01 February 2009 at 12:39am
Anyone know where you can get these from in the UK?

http://www.dpss.ro/lasers/systems/dmxildalasercontroller.htm
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2009 at 2:42pm
Order them direct from Pangolin like I did.

The product you're seeing there is actually the Pangolin FB3 card which they've put into their own housing, with some other bits and pieces.

I bought a bare board which I housed myself, but you can now buy one ready housed.
You probably want the Evaluation kit, and ask for the differential board too as they don't supply as standard.  Also comes with a reasonably good software suite too.

This is not 'just' a DMX to ILDA adaptor, its actually a fully fledged ILDA interface (see the USB port in the pic you linked) that just happens to let you control frames stored on the media card by DMX.

Its about $550 for the kit, which makes me happy I got mine last year....   Still one of the cheapest on the market for the functionality and quality you get though.

edit: actually I'm not sure that may be an FB3 in that pic, unless they've added a few more customized I/O options of their own.  Suppose you really need to find out what software comes with it to modify the stored frames and interact with the box/media card, then make your choice.  In the laser game, software and processing is all.

I tried a couple of other cheap boxes before getting my Pangolin and there really is no comparison.

Edited by norty303 - 02 February 2009 at 2:49pm
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
SteveAATW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveAATW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2009 at 4:39pm
That price makes me a sad panda Dead

I've got a GTech HighLase 100G MKII, all I want to do is get it to hold a position on a mirror ball rather than panning up and down in the preset DMX pattern but buggered if I can get it to do it.

How much are the computer based ILDA adapters? Thinking it might be cheaper doing that and getting a very big DB25 lead...
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2009 at 5:10pm
Quote How much are the computer based ILDA adapters? Thinking it might be cheaper doing that and getting a very big DB25 lead...

Do you mean ILDA interfaces?  Thats what the FB3 is, so the price is what i said above.  Its just you can also control the loaded frames by DMX as well.

Unfortunately nothing laser control related is cheap cheap, but if you have £300+ to spend there are quite few options, from Pangolin FB3 (which includes LiveQuick, and the Showrider suite), Mamba Black http://www.medialas.de/software-de.html (support Medialas and a few other interfaces), Moncha... http://www.showtacle.com/Moncha.php Most use proprietary hardware for the software to tie you to the product line.  Its a bit different to the USB DMX thing going on right now.

If you want to do things like beam targetting then you really need to be going full ilda control rather than DMX.  You could botch it up by creating a target frame using ILDA then uploading that for DMX control but if the projector gets moved or if its a mobile unit then its a pain.  You'd need to make sure the X and Y pan/tilt were reset too each time or it'd just move it round the room.  Bottom line, DMX is a poor way to do laser control.

Edited by norty303 - 02 February 2009 at 5:22pm
Heathrow_B_line View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heathrow_B_line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2009 at 5:43pm
steve

i think i have a ilda laptop control plus software somewhere... i bought it from germany, sounds like it will do the job

pm me if you wanr it
Produce a killer sound. Take no prisoners.
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2009 at 6:13pm
Is that the laserworld software?
 Post Reply Post Reply