Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Serato + Virtual DJ = ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tweeter box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Serato + Virtual DJ = ??
    Posted: 01 February 2009 at 9:30am

Does anybody use Virtual DJ with the Serato box?

Does it freeze often or have temperamental pauses, was thinking about using them together but was warned against it!!

Feedback please gents

Edited by tweeter box - 01 February 2009 at 9:33am
Dj Maca Roots View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dj Maca Roots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2009 at 6:58pm
I wont use Serato!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Angry
I will use V DJ no probs ever easy to find warzed just try it outWink

I use Ableton Live to play my dub waves. mp3 sound like crap imo

Look at the serato box it won't ever sound any better than a cheep non pro dj mixer
plus you look like a confused btb with the laptop and turntables WTF FIYAh! LOL
Just get a rack mounted Denon 4500 player or use Live

Raspect
Can't Stop Jah Music
Ben_Lawrance View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben_Lawrance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2009 at 8:01pm
If Serato is good enough for Fatboy Slim, Jazzy Jeff, Paul Oakenfold and Tiesto, it's good enough for me.
djcrude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djcrude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2009 at 8:32pm
Ive used both  programs Serato And V Dj, and came to the conclution that VDj is for the amature and lazy dj'z out there who like to sit on there ass and to mix by pressin 1 button which beat matches it for you,( you dount need to be a genius to be able to do that any 2 yr old can press the button),  and with serato you dount nesseserly need turntables u can use cdj'z, prefrebly the CDJ 400s which are made for serato,

Overall i would just still to serato and get rid of Vdj as its much more robust and reliable and just a better program overall
deja-ibiza View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deja-ibiza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2009 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by Dj Maca Roots Dj Maca Roots wrote:

I wont use Serato!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Angry

Damn right!

Me neither.

If anyone turns up at my club with Serato, they get politely told that it's not gonna happen.

Serato only works with Analogue in/ouputs, so it needs to have 4 D/A convertors inside the box. (2 for each deck - One to convert the PC output from digital to analogue, one to convert the Analogue timecode to digital) 
Because of the cost of the Serato package (peanuts) the D/A interface really isn't good.

My DJ Box has the CDJs connected digitally into the Mixer, which is then Digitally connected to a Soundweb. It is very awkward to rip all that apart to go Analogue for Serato. As soon as you have to change it back to Analogue with Serato, the quality goes out of the window. Partly due the the poor quality of Serato, partly due to the use of MP3. Why anyone would consider playing MP3s is beyond me - You are short-changing the people you play to.

With something that embraces full audio (WAV) such as Ableton, it's a different story, however I still feel a DJ flicking through his CD wallet (Or Record Box) and loading the tune, is a lot more involving than watching a DJ bent over, squinting at his laptop, trying to work out what to play next.

Sure, there are mountains of people that are using Serato, and beg to differ, but where I come from, Serato and other mediums are very much frowned upon.

It certainly has a place within facets of the industry, (A wedding DJ for example) but the more we embrace MP3 technology, the more we are going backwards in terms of quality, rather than striving forwards to provide audiences with the best audio experience (and ensuing atmosphere) they deserve.
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2009 at 9:14pm
Which club in Ibiza? Did a bit resident stuff at Summon and Star a long time ago?
 Peter Hankinson was around then, also Minni? Mean anything to you, or am I too old?Cry
It's everything, not everythink!
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deja-ibiza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2009 at 10:28pm
Ha! Never too old.

Hankinson is still around - On the door of Es Paradis for Pepe, looking after the Tour Ops.

Summun has fallen on hard times - Barty has resorted to trying to rent it out.
Last time I had anything to do with Summum was United Dance and Charly's Angelz (2002) After the days of Rob Seaman.  A lot has changed in the past few years! Did you work alongside Raffa?

Star Club in now Eden, owned by Salvador. (Play 2, Koppas)

My place is Hush, the ex-Rumours (ex-ex- 'Chicas')
For a laugh, my DJ box is here:

http://forums.pioneerdj.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9291012904/m/7901087014

That's old now, Allen & Heath has gone, replaced by 2 DJM800s, the CDJs are all MK3 on sliding rails, backed up by EFX1000s - Dunno where I am, probably working out where I put my Vodka bottle at the bar.....

Minni? As in Mini Xavi @ Savannah? or Not?

Star (Eden) looks like you wouldn't believe - Were you there in the Ray Davis era??

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2009 at 10:38pm
Hankinson must be very old! Pepe., yes, did  Star for him, I was only there a month, lost the plot, came home, rehab of the brain needed. This was all 18 years ago. Mini (as I knew him) was doorman, little but lethal chap, saw him at Es P about 12 years ago. We had Sasha at Summum, with a PA, "Hardcore Uproar" ?? Seem to remember one of the PA dying on a moped. Did about half season there, good fun. Also did other bars for Peter, Sgt Peppers etc.  Did you know Stuart B?  Definatly getting my arse over this year, just to wander about, 48 now :(
 John Ulysees stilll there? He pretended to be the Mad Stuntman from Real to Reel as they wouldn't let him in the country, this was in the Star, on my honeymoon, I introduced him, nobody noticed, wife was on the lights. Start B was resident then.

Edited by nickyburnell - 01 February 2009 at 10:42pm
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deja-ibiza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2009 at 11:03pm
Yep, Hanky is not exactly 'Fresh' but he's still on the scene. His wife has the T-shirt shop next to Summum still.
Don't remember Mini on the door.. I still just say 'Que Pasa, Hombre'  to them all, no idea who they are!
You in Sgt. Peppers for Ryan? Old Skool!

Yes, Stu B is still around, was away for a while after doing some naughty stuff (A very prominent London Airport robbery)  but he's been back this year. Many years back we did a track in his studio, a bootleg of a Jon Ulysees track. Jon Ulysees is still here - Resident of Space no less. I started in Simples after Jon left.
Stu B has been out the last 2 years, and now has a sucessful company looking after VIPs on the Island, driving them about, getting them in places, keeping people off their backs, if you know what I mean..... I've got his number - PM me if you want to give him a shout.

Edit:.... Sorry, gone waaaay off-topic.... oops.

Edited by deja-ibiza - 02 February 2009 at 8:57am
Dj Maca Roots View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dj Maca Roots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2009 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by Ben_Lawrance Ben_Lawrance wrote:

If Serato is good enough for Fatboy Slim, Jazzy Jeff, Paul Oakenfold and Tiesto, it's good enough for me.

Dead Dead Dead Dead

One for each of them, it must be good then...Confused
Can't Stop Jah Music
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2009 at 11:11pm
I recon the conclusion here is that they both have the features, just don't expect club owners/promotors to let you use inferior products on their very expensive systems.
 I would be the same, CD's and Vinal are still the industry standard.
Sounds_d_b View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sounds_d_b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2009 at 9:56am
I'll stick with Traktor.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>