Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1850horn rear chamber size?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sencesync Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1850horn rear chamber size?
    Posted: 20 August 2005 at 8:26pm
anyone know how much volume the rear chamber is for the 1850horn?
rastaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rastaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2005 at 8:30pm
1 litre = 1,000,000 millimetres cubed
Sencesync View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sencesync Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2005 at 8:39pm
Rastaman, thats NOT what im looking for. im looking for the rear chamber volume size. not the convertion for millimeters to litres...
Sencesync View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sencesync Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2005 at 11:51pm
see this is why im trying to get the info from others. because i keep comming up with 69.74 litres no matter how many times i check it. and i HIGHLY doubt that thier is nearly 2.5cuf (70.8 litres) of rearchamber space in the 1850horn. so please tell me other-wise because i dont believe that there is that much room, it would seem like there should be less room.

Edited by Sencesync
rastaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rastaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2005 at 10:12am
Ballpark it, it looks not bad to me.

Take the 3 largest measurements of the rear chamber as if it were a cube, you get about 87l, take the 3 smallest you get about 56l.

Somewhere Rog talks about designing short horns as a sealed box unit first, which for the 1850 recommended enclosures are 90-220.

Course I could be making the exact same mistakes as you, but oh well.
Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2005 at 3:53pm
Subtract the volume occupied by the driver.  Other than that, high scool geometry will get you to the answer fairly quickly.
rastaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rastaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2005 at 4:24pm
Yeah Rog says in the FAQ a standard 18" will occupy about 7litres if memory serves. Seeing as he specs the 1850 for just about everything, thats probably his standard 
Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2005 at 5:02pm
I'd expect that spec from PD, though to be truly exact one would have to look at a little more detail (like thickness of the wood its being mounted in)
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2005 at 2:57am

Originally posted by Timber_MG Timber_MG wrote:

I'd expect that spec from PD, though to be truly exact one would have to look at a little more detail (like thickness of the wood its being mounted in)

if you were one who must split inaudible hairs that is

loophole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loophole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2005 at 9:01am
not that inaudible mike.
an 18" hole in a double-thickness baffle (ie 36mm) is over 5 litres. certainly not incondsiderable

i measure the rear chamber to be about 68 litres too. that seems about right, but im almost certain the pd1850 must be more than 7 litres... i would say about 15-20 is more along the right lines. and even that seems small compared to how much space it visibly takes up in the chamber
minaximal View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minaximal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2005 at 7:36am

i contacted mark from pd a while ago, and he said they work on a volume of approximately 6 litres of displacement from the 1850, i worked out the concave cone area to add up to around 3 litres to the throat area.

looking back at my old spreadsheets: if the baffle hole for an 18" is 43cm dia, and 1.8cm deep, thats 2.6l on top of 3 litres, before counting the actual throat area.

although dont forget the pistonic motion of a driver increases and decreases the area with each stoke...

haha nothing is that simple, and these are things which can easily get forgotten.

Post Reply Post Reply