Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best way to fold a horn??...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James.L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best way to fold a horn??...
    Posted: 26 February 2009 at 4:35pm
I've simulated a horn expansion in hornresp, and I'm now trying to draw the horn in Google Sketchup. I have a problem where
the horn bends, it is adding extra length to my horn, length that would be destructive to the final frequency response in relation
to my simulation.

So I guess my question is, what is the most accurate way to fold a horn?

Here's an image of my design..

As you can see from the print screen, the first fold has added 18.1cm to my horn. This is because i rotated the horn by
90degrees from the inside edge of the horn.

Google Sketchup tips and tricks would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jim.

Edited by James.L - 26 February 2009 at 4:43pm
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2009 at 4:44pm
You need to fold around the mid point of the horn's cross section. I don't know how to do it with sketchup, but here's a good explaination of how to do it with autocad, and the principles involved.

http://www.centauriaudio.com.au/diy/hornfold.html

Kieran

Blahblahblah
gwarntek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwarntek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2009 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by James.L James.L wrote:

Into quarters

haha
sorry thats not very helpful

i dont quite understand your question? the path of folding is inevitable, and i don't see a problem with going round 90 degrees.
So if this i gonna happen you just need to reduce the horn length by the deisred amount? maybe make the cab a bit smaller (on your prntscreen from top to bottom) so depth in real life?

just an idea though, im no expert...
peace
James.L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James.L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2009 at 4:48pm
Yeah i probably should've mentioned that I read that several times, and also the stuff on this forum about calculating the area before and after the bend (in the guide to hornresp and winisd topic), but I'm really aiming for sketchup level kinda stuff. I dont know autocad and im time restricted so learning it isnt feasable at the moment.
James.L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James.L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2009 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by gwarntek gwarntek wrote:

i dont quite understand your question? the path of folding is inevitable, and i don't see a problem with going round 90 degrees.
So if this i gonna happen you just need to reduce the horn length by the deisred amount? maybe make the cab a bit smaller (on your prntscreen from top to bottom) so depth in real life?

just an idea though, im no expert...
peace

Hmm, by reducing the length from the throat end I would have to recalculate the horn expansion because the area of the throat and mouth obviously needs to be the same. Also by following this method that I have done each corner is going to be a section of straight horn with no expansion ie. the corner (horn fold 1) is going to have 18.1cm of straight horn. Its kinda hard to explain but im trying my best lol.
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2009 at 5:04pm
'it is adding extra length to my horn, length that would be destructive to the final frequency response in relation 
to my simulation.'

In what way?

PS

See Mykey's scoops' for an example of how to go round corners.
Away on extended leave.
James.L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James.L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2009 at 5:13pm
I just presumed it would, especially at the thinner end. I'll remodel it in hornresp and see what happens.

Could you provide a link to Mykey's scoops please Deadbeat?

Thanks for the responses so far, I really appreciate it.
Jim.
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2009 at 6:17pm
Folding a horn will increase LF response slightly at the cost of HF response.

No program I know (maybe FEA a bit) can really accurately model the effects of folds.

However for a bass horn there is really no point in remodeling as the effects of a tiny bit longer horn will be negligible.

Mykey's scoops are the 'BULL', 'BULL-X', 'COW', and 'RHINO' in the 'scoop' section of this forum.

When you fold, just try to keep the area expanding.
Away on extended leave.
Dave Slater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Slater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2009 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by doober doober wrote:

You need to fold around the mid point of the horn's cross section. I don't know how to do it with sketchup, but here's a good explaination of how to do it with autocad, and the principles involved.

http://www.centauriaudio.com.au/diy/hornfold.html

Kieran

If you can snag yourself a copy of AutoCAD this really is the proper job
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2009 at 9:23am
I didnt have autocad and refused to 'obtain it'. So i used qcad 1.5 and just did multiple iterations and learned how long to make each section just by doing it and learning how much path could fit and how it compared to the model.

I wouldnt worry about small 5% errors etc.

According to Tom Danley the path length is actually not quite in the middle as the air mass affects it. But he mentions that approximating your exponential horn as a few conical steps makes no difference in the bass region-which makes things ALOT easier.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread/t-80068.html

Nice horns!Big smileBig smileBig smileBig smile

Edited by tb_mike - 27 February 2009 at 9:24am
Centauri View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centauri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2009 at 1:56pm

This is because i rotated the horn by 90degrees from the inside edge of the horn.

As doober pointed out above, and outlined in my article he linked to, don't rotate from the inside edge - rotate about the centre line of the horn path.
James.L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James.L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2009 at 3:27pm
Hi all,

I'm now folding from the center path of my horn expansion, but I have a question, in sketchup how do i create a non-perfect curve. Like if I use the curve tool and drag it out it eventually creates a perfect circle, but i want the curve to be oddly shaped so that it matches my horn expansion if that makes sense. Here's a couple of print screens of the fold i've created.

Before the fold from the center path:

After I've created the fold:

Heres a quick edit in photoshop to illustrate what i mean. The blue getting darker represents an increase in horn width from the inside edge, the further toward the horn mouth you get (or corner, since this is a fold):

Edited by James.L - 03 March 2009 at 3:37pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>