Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Letterbox X1 plan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imperialjunglistic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2010 at 1:06pm

Thanks DOM , i understand for the Both port braces go to the back of the box , it must be the number 1 and 2 on my pic .

The two braces on the front panel are number 3 and 4 .

But where do you place exactly " the brace on the back of the access panel an a 10cm wide brace that ties the two large side panels together " ?

I'm sorry but i'm french and my technical english is not very good .
I mean that if you can explain better it will be realy nice Wink

Pirlo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2010 at 2:22pm
Haha, Dom can't get a sleep with his design. LOL
(Had the same questions a few weeks ago)

The 10cm wide-brace mean that ja put a piece of ply between the "ground" and the "top" of the box, somewhere in the middle where you've got "big nothing". Tongue
Maybe drill a  few holes in it for air-flow.

On the back ya can mount a additional brace in the smaller of the two chambers (where the speaker-mouth blows in - the other side of the letter "1" in ya picture).

The third additional brace, directly on/around the back-panel, hmm, thats actual what I've to work out for myself.
I think about to build the whole "back" of two sheets of 18mm-bitch and cut the service-flap a few from the outer- a few cm bigger then inner-one to put the cuted part in as a lid. (reasonable!?)
That should give it more than enough stability, a little more weight freebie.

Hope this helps!

I'm exactly at the point you are, have cut all parts and one step to put it all together so if something wrong with my description please let me/us know, thanks!

Edited by Pirlo - 10 August 2010 at 2:32pm
imperialjunglistic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imperialjunglistic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2010 at 4:47pm

Is it what you was thinking about Pirlo ?

What do you think about oranges parts ?

So the red brace is " The 10cm wide-brace mean that ja put a piece of ply between the "ground" and the "top" of the box " .
Will you put this brace in your letterbox ? And what could be the better position to this brace ?
Pirlo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2010 at 7:04pm
If I understand ya pictures right then yes to the 10cm-ply in the middle. (x1plan01)
That would be my prefered place to, but maybe dom can give a shout about.
I build two of them and prefer to load with 1851 so I think its necessary.
Maybe one with and one without, problem will be if it's better with to bring it in the other one as tight as the first. Angry LOL

The other thing I mean is to build the whole back of 2x 18mm ply - glue/screw together (so 36mm in total) with a cut for the service a few cm bigger in the "outer" then the "inner so that ya can moint the removable-pannel on the "inner" one.
Otherwise maybe only the part from the speaker-brace down to the end and give the upper part a brace inside like x1plan01

Difficult to describe, will try a paint tomorrow.
Pirlo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2010 at 10:30pm
Okay, here we go (sorry for the paint, got other skills Tongue)

I think we can do it on two ways.

First: Use "1" as the inner back, "2" for the outher.
Then Put a additional brace at "3"

Second: Build "1" as long as "2" and use it for the whole back but then ya got a bigger chamber "4"

Don't shure wich way to go, will start to build this weekend with the hd15 and think about this "problem"

Again, any suggestions more then welcome!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imperialjunglistic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2010 at 11:00am

I think i'll chose the first way , actually i did it with my HD15 and it's easy to do and work very well . On my HD15 my part 1 doesn't cover the total lenght of the inner chamber but it's the same idea .

Then i'll put a brace at 3 and in the inner front ( yellow and orange part in my first pic >> W1PLAN02 )

I think your second way will be much more complicated to do especially  if you want to keap the same volume in the chamber 4 ..
Pirlo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2010 at 1:03pm
Got a question as well, round the brace-edges and the speaker-brace with a milling machine "U" or leave it "L"!?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imperialjunglistic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2010 at 8:33pm

I'm not shure , but round the brace could be a good choice ..?

But the first question is , does this lettre box version is as good as the original ? And this plan is he correct and optimal ?

Is there someone who know the answer ? or who heard the letterbox one time ?
Pirlo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2010 at 10:07pm
Dom said the letterbox is an 1:1 to the original, going even a few hz lower 'cause the bigger/propper ground-contact when put it with it wide-side on the floor.
Ya can check the plans if you calculate the volume of the original-plan and compare it with the letterbox one.

I'll build mine this weekend so if is anything wrong with the showing plans please tell me asap, thanks! Smile

Edited by Pirlo - 13 August 2010 at 10:16pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imperialjunglistic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2010 at 9:24am

So what's up Pirlo with your letterbox , have you any pics ?

I hope finish my four HD15 before the next month , and then i will start the letterbox , so it could be very nice to have some pics and impressions on yours .
Pirlo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2010 at 4:57pm
Sorry, no pics yet.
I worked out everything and want to start these days but the guy in wich carpentry I want build my hds/x1s tell me today a price for ground-cut the ply that I don't accept!
Damn asshole, last week he told me that I can use his tablesaw for cheap, today 100%-additional on the ply-price for cutting.

So I'll have to search another place/tablesaw at the moment...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imperialjunglistic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 3:27pm
Arrmph , bad news Pirlo ...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>