Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Robe Moving Heads - Not bright enough

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yodominic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Robe Moving Heads - Not bright enough
    Posted: 09 March 2009 at 10:55am
Guys, I recently bought 2 Robe 575 xt washes and 2 * 575 xt spots. These were from an install so I have cleaned them and greased them and they look very decent with minimal noise. They came with correct used Philips lamps but the brightness is not what I expected from something that's 575 range. I have a pair of Acme Spot queens and these are only 150 and they are brighter than these. I don't want to spend any more money without isolating the issue

Has anyone got any ideas?
Wrighty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2009 at 11:28am
Lamp is probably tired. Unless the optics are filthy beyond belief... but you say you've cleaned them, so that shouldn't be a problem... Or is there a mechanical dimmer in them? I don't know a lot about these - just guessing based on what I've seen in some iMoves which I had to take apart a while back.
ALL YOUR BASS ARE BELONG TO US.
yodominic View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yodominic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2009 at 11:31am

I have cleaned them and the glass looks clear. Does the fixture gives out correct lamp usage hours? i.e can they be reset?

imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2009 at 12:16pm
Have you aligned the lamp? i.e. adjusted its position to give the best output. obviously it needs to be centered on the same axis as the lenses, but its position forward and back is important too.

Also check the optical path is clear, (I don't mean clean) if something isn't adjusted properly or a frost filter is selected without you realising (easy to do if your unfamiliar with the product) it will reduce output.

other than that I would be thinking lamp life / quality, especcialy if you have two the same.

lamp counters can usually be reset (for when you change the lamp).
djdarren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djdarren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2009 at 1:33pm
I'd check the lamps, remember a 575 normal life span is 1000 hours which is not that much. After this time there brightness quickly goes down hill. Also every time you strike a lamp you lose an hour of life from it.
Wrighty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2009 at 1:34pm
If the light is decidedly yellow instead of nice metal halide bluey-white, that's another indication that the lamp is on its way out.
ALL YOUR BASS ARE BELONG TO US.
yodominic View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yodominic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2009 at 1:39pm

Thanks guys, i'll get a new lamp and compare the difference before buying for the rest of them as i have 2 spots and 2 washes. I have seen them on ebay for £88 inc postage i guess you can't get them any lower. The lamps are Philips MSR 575/2

norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2009 at 2:07pm
Thoman was always a fairly good source for cheap lamps, but that was few months a go now
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
yodominic View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yodominic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2009 at 2:17pm

Yes you're right they used to be , since the pound collapse it's all changed (£105 now)

Edited by yodominic - 09 March 2009 at 2:18pm
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2009 at 6:48pm
Msr575 lamps are one of the worst discharge lamps out there - poor colour temperature consistancy is the main problem

the nominal lamp life is 750 hours, and will start to lose considerable intensity after approx 500 hours.
the most likely culprit is an aged lamp, with poor centering in the reflector. If the arc tube of the lamp is opaque white, light grey or pale yellow, then it is definately time for a new lamp

If the beam has a dark spot in the middle, or a bright spot to one side, then it is highly likely that the lamp is off centre which will reduce efficiency considerably

feel free to post a picure of the lamps, i service a lot of moving lights and am pretty good at judging the state of lamps
Preacher View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2009 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

i service a lot of moving lights

All those VL2C's keeping you working LOL
Stone Lion Sound System, The Garden City Rockers. It's all about the music & the vibe.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2009 at 9:14pm
yep, going to have a rummage around prg shortly, lots of vl2c's and vl4's for spares...

also working my way through about 40 macs at ther moment, most of which seem to have swallowed the contents of a df50's tank....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>