Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASS,Gauss,Martin,etc old brochures.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2013 at 11:03pm
Yes, the original driver was the RCF L18-851-8 ohm
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2013 at 11:50pm
Hi Frank---If it is any help to you, I may have eight RCF L18P-300 coming in secondhand in the near future--I should imagine that they would work superb inside those cabinets--let me know if interested--Cheers--John.
a1olsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a1olsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2013 at 12:27am
Hey there,
the Martin Audio BSX was loaded with an OEM Celestion 4"VC with double spider 18" driver. Similar to CX18-1000?
A good modern low resonance ~30Hz Fs double spider driver should do the job. Celestion makes quite a good FTR model with double spider well useful and also price friendly value for money for this purpose.

Best regards
DocO aka a1greatdane
Former Martin Audio Employee  

a1olsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a1olsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2013 at 1:09am
Dear Sound4U,

Think Celestion FTR18-4080FD's would do a very good job in ya BSX's...

Best
'Doc'O
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2013 at 4:12pm
the Martin Audio BSX was loaded with an OEM Celestion 4"VC with double spider 18" driver. Similar to CX18-1000?

Hello, long time no see...

I'm going back before your time, to when the 4 ohm L18-851 went into the BX2 mini bandpass sub, and the 8 ohm version in the BSX.

The B18-1000 was originally developed for the VRS1000 and must have been the best 18" Celestion had made up to that point.  Did you really put them in BSX's? That would have made it a seriously powerful box!

jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2013 at 4:28pm
Yup,ditto that Boffin,those early BSX's deffinately had the RCF's in.
Be seeing you.
soundforyou View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundforyou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2013 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by a1olsen a1olsen wrote:

Dear Sound4U,

Think Celestion FTR18-4080FD's would do a very good job in ya BSX's...

Best
'Doc'O
10 seconds from Buying Fane 18XB's yes/no  yes/no ?? what ya think?? Help
Life is Now
a1olsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a1olsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2013 at 5:55am
Hey Sound4U,
Fane 15XB ok, even though efficiency for that driver is a bit low at 2.3%...
Would be better if this was at least above 3% if not 3.5%...
An Ol school JBL2240H is above 4% and would do a very good job sound wise in the BSX box...
The JBL's tend to be a tad bit fragile though... 

I never really liked the RCF's much (and still don't with all their use of silicone and other damping agents)... - resulting in a tendency to be somewhat over damped and a bit un-dynamic...

Best
'Doc'O
a1olsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a1olsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2013 at 8:46am
Dear madboffin and JBL_man,

I joined Martin Audio mid August 1990 and at the time there was no RCF transducers on the purchase roaster...

F2, CT2 and the umbiguous LE wedges, was the most produced items at the time and I think RCF had been 'left out for a while'. Reason for this is fairly to me unknown. 
The Company had moved to High Wycombe about a year earlier from Stanhope street and Dave had just sold to the Company to the TGI Group, but was still in charge as main Director. 
I will not refute that the BX2 was initially designed with the RCF L18-851, but I'm quite certain that it had been using the smaller 3" VC Celestion B18-600 for quite a while then. 
RS's and WRS's was still being produced in small batches at the time as well, but F2 was definitely'the name of the game'!
One of the jobs I did after a while there, was actually redesigning the BSX into same frontal format as the F2 system. This was done under the 'F2X' as working title. I likewise, in connection with the Production Director Bob Polley and Marketing Manager Dave Bearman, upgraded the F2 Top-Box 'frame' for a more production cost effective and friendliness product. Likewise was introduced the Barcode Serial Numbers with a new integrated Label and connector panel at the back of the Box.

With Best regards
'Doc'O
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2013 at 1:29pm
OK, here's a bit more info, some of which I should have remembered...

The L1842 (Celestion B18-1000) was designed to Dave Martin's specification (originally for the VRS1000) but became a standard Celestion catalogue item as Martin didn't have an exclusive deal on the product.

It was specified for the BSX, RS800, VRS800 and VRS1000 cabinets from late 1989, replacing the L1841 (RCF L18-851-8) and L1840 (RCF L18-851-4).
The horizontal format RS800 was still in the catalogue, but no longer in production so none of those were actualy fitted with the new Celestion.

Celestion also arranged to supply a lower power 18", and so they eventually replaced RCF who had been supplying all the 18" drivers for the company.

The BSX was replaced with the FSX in 1991, as Sven has mentioned. The BSX had been dimensioned for stacking with the RS1200, which meant that it didn't make a tidy stack with F2 cabinets.

Going back even further, the BX2 was originally designed for the Ciare M450-75, a rather cheap 3" voice coil 18" driver also used by Meyer in their extremely expensive subs. This was given the Martin part number L1830 and was quickly replaced by the RCF when it was found to be too easy to blow up by DJ's. The position of the internal baffle board in the BX2 was moved to retune the cabinet for the new driver, which meant that it wasn't a compatible direct replacement in early BX2's. Final production units were fitted with the L1831, a 3" voice coil Celestion.

I must scan all my old g'zinta notes and Service Bulletins...

Edited by madboffin - 21 October 2013 at 1:45pm
a1olsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a1olsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2013 at 3:46pm
Thanks Dave
To Old Now View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote To Old Now Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2013 at 4:25pm
Is that not the same driver that Celestion used for the 1x18 bandpass cab to use with the 2x8" cabs? 
It was a great driver just used to blow the dust caps off in 1x18" cabs!
You want it when?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>