Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Plan ! - D-20 (hz) Macro Sub ..tapped horn by moi.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plan ! - D-20 (hz) Macro Sub ..tapped horn by moi.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2009 at 4:33pm
I just want to get the input numbers "ok" - from my sketch - was my hornresp input window ok? - it needs to add up to the correct volume, etc  - - what happens at the bend of a one-fold TH/ITH?

- I'm not comfortable describing the things and don't see well - - - heres a mic on floor 2 foot away perspective of a 1mm xmax 10" Nirvana speaker (Qts ~0.42) in regular Karlson vs a Dayton 295070 in the inverted tapped horn - -I didn't get the area of the two rectangular openings in this graph but one was getting it down close to the x-section and other had about 1/2 of the woofer's diameter covered - you can see some tradeoff  -- - slotted section will come later

how much taller might it need to be to get 30Hz ~flat? - - is there an easy way to reduce the 138Hz suckout?

I will check/graph again and note mouth openings - maybe make a slotted plate today - the red trace below represents ~10" high by 16.25" wide opening and the difference at this mic perspective versus the tighter opening isn't drastic - we can see it needs to be a certain area to get LF extension

1/24 octave

factory spec (it looks llike an Eminence)

Dayton 295-070 105oz magnet, power = 250 watts, Voice Coil = 3 in., Spl=95.23dB, Re= 5.4ohm,
Fs = 26.4, Qms=8.25/Qes=0.300, Vas= 11.986 cu.ft., Qts=0.29, Le = 1.4mH, BL = 18.2, Xmax = 7.8mm, Sd = 132.7 sq.in.
weight ~20lb, no = 2.007%

Edited by freddi - 28 March 2009 at 5:06pm
nineleaves View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nineleaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2009 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by freddi freddi wrote:

I just want to get the input numbers "ok" - from my sketch - was my hornresp input window ok? - it needs to add up to the correct volume, etc  - - what happens at the bend of a one-fold TH/ITH?

how much taller might it need to be to get 30Hz ~flat? - - is there an easy way to reduce the 138Hz suckout?

just simmed the driver as on the prt scrn, it doesnt frankly seem to be suitable for this loading; to get it to do what it should.. will look into this more later, ive got a wedding to go sit around infront a mixing desk for...

the path seems long enough to get some useful response, at a guess that should at least run flat to 30 with the right driver. the length of the horn determines the low cutoff (how low it goes), this also determines at what freqency the first cancellation peak occurs at, which is unavodable, you can only move this comb filtering up by making the path of the horn shorter, which negates the point of it being a sub ;) ..so its a comprimise between where you have to cross over and how deep itll go, on this account, it seems a little more forgiving than the usual tapped horn per same low cutoff :)
i did however note that heavily wadding the rear chamber reduced the peak in these suckouts further up the range. unlikely itll magically make 138hz all better; can but try however :)

with the fold, imagine youve drawn the path out as one streight line and you have folded it round the bend, whilst folding it from a point in the middle of the volume (the bend has length, imagine a line being drawn down the middle of the air volume) this will give you the right tollerances for clearence to wall and the size of the taper as it continues upto the exit.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nineleaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2009 at 5:59pm
also, try what they like crusifying me for round here.. stick it in a corner and measure it ;) :)

freddi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2009 at 6:15pm
don't have a corner available right now Big smile  - tell me what "about" specs my pipe might like - there may be another woofer laying around that works better - not to say this isn't good performance  
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nineleaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2009 at 8:19pm
goto the beginning of the post and look up the hornresp for the v1000 driver; try drivers like that, high bl, fairly heavy cone, low res. Try entering other drivers figures into the sim & if you find something that simms similarly, then give it a try :)

freddi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2009 at 8:28pm
thanks -- here's that ITH with 295070 shoved into my thin drywall corner

Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nineleaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2009 at 10:03pm
well, that certainly seems to be loading effectively there :)
Theres just not the baffle area or horn mouth with tapped horns to make sure their low output finds its way into the room at modest levels.
Try playing around with differing room placements along walls & away from them.. & you may find particular sweet spots to your liking :)
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nineleaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2009 at 10:16pm
Theres just not the baffle area or horn mouth with tapped horns to make sure their low output finds its way into the room at modest levels.
Try playing around with differing room placements along walls & away from them.. & you may find particular sweet spots to your liking :)
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nineleaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2009 at 10:30pm
freddi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 2:39am
where its sitting - I'm not getting much difference between a 5x16.25" slot and ~60 or sq.in. invertered "T" slot - - should I open the T up a bit and it so "where"? - its about 10" tall overall

Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nineleaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 3:12am
interesting, it definately exhibits a similar dip artefact to the 12" version at 50hz.. shall have to ponder that one :o :)

i doubt changing that panel will do alot.. but fiddle never the less.
you could try running a really thin slot up a portion of the front of the horn in a manner not unlike the karlson horn. that may well reveal something interesting.. if not an improvement, it will be telling of a number of matters.
freddi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 3:37am
maybe in the corner they're bumping up giving illusion of dip?Wink  Karlson's tilted baffle kinda aim the driver's lobes up the pipe - more reverb and wave slicin'  --- a thin slot would be interesting - might get closer to firewood   --- how low is low enough for home music use? - - I've enjoyed bowed bass and cello on some speakers (Karlson) which don't go low better than some which do but sound pipe-like.   Linkwitz transform sealed boxes are about he only thing thats tiny.. I've re-tuned Karlson with Altec 416 per a company called exemplar and boosted at ~30Hz - pretty good tone with theatre organ.  An ITH sub with 12" to hit 20 might be a lot of fun and poke nicely in corners
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>