Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ciare 18SW ; Bass Maker or Heart Breaker?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Contentiously righteous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FUBARD303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ciare 18SW ; Bass Maker or Heart Breaker?
    Posted: 21 March 2009 at 6:02pm
Seems like everywhere I look someone is saying "or you could load em with THESE!" (enter link to Ciare 18SW)

They look like TONS of fun with the enormously high Xmax and BL factors but are they worth the extra money with the sad Freq curve and the somewhat low sencitivity? Are there any corresponding HR models up that my searches missed? I'm building 4x 186 horns and plan another 4x soon after. Would these be a viable copliment or eventual replacement to the 18sound 1400's ive got? I Definately like the fact they're avalible in 4ohm as this would allow my QSC RMX4050HD's (or any similar quality amp as I understand) to push TWICE as many cabs with similar levels but at an inflated cost of about 25% per driver.

Is the Ciare 18SW the new ground pounder, or an Italian twist on the Kilomax tit?
"Always look on the bright side of life" -Brian
MikeHunt79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeHunt79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2009 at 11:35pm
What price are they? No where seems to sell 'em...
I'm English, and as such I crave disappointment. I actively seek it out.
FUBARD303 View Drop Down

Contentiously righteous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FUBARD303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2009 at 2:33am
I'm doing all this on my phone and am unable to paste links but you can find em @ www.usspeaker.com seems like they're one of two or three suppliers of em in the states. Also another smaller supplier occasionally on ebay. Theyre quite expensive even for professional loudspeakers yet still less than the better JBL subs so I'd be willing to invest if it would be worth the added cost.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2009 at 5:57am

got some 15sw's here im about to have a play with

mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2009 at 8:01am
yes these are great drivers, shifts tonnes of air, infact more air than any other driver I know

downside is, low sensitivity, not very loud in a reflex cab, and I heard doubles

But like I have suggested many times before, I reckon this would be a good driver for the CV bin or something similar
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2009 at 8:58pm
the 18.00sw driver is ciare's answer to mccauley's 6174.  but if you can get hold of the ciare, itll cost you one fifth of the price of the mccauley.   been trying to source the 18.00sw in the uk for ages.  proaudioparts are half asleep.  hoped they might be able to add 4 units to their next order of 12.00sw's, but as usual, they never get back to you when they say they will.

Edited by rich_gale - 22 March 2009 at 8:58pm
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2009 at 9:01pm
also. the magnet is a hybrid ceramic/neo design.  with the pole piece being neo radial iirc.  this will explain the 36t/m bl.  id like to see a scaled up punisher style cab using this woofer...  maybe in two parts with a bolt on mouth section!
MikeHunt79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeHunt79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2009 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by rich_gale rich_gale wrote:

the 18.00sw driver is ciare's answer to mccauley's 6174.  but if you can get hold of the ciare, itll cost you one fifth of the price of the mccauley.   been trying to source the 18.00sw in the uk for ages.  proaudioparts are half asleep.  hoped they might be able to add 4 units to their next order of 12.00sw's, but as usual, they never get back to you when they say they will.
Let us if they ever get hold of them, I'd be interested to see how they perform...

I've tried modelling the ciares in hornresp and they seem to work well in larger tapped horns...
I'm English, and as such I crave disappointment. I actively seek it out.
FUBARD303 View Drop Down

Contentiously righteous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FUBARD303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2009 at 10:43pm
LOL look up the 'modular horn'. We decided that was a bad idea.   The two part horn that is... Maybe a single jigantic one for permanet instalations? Maybe something like the big EAW boxes. Ohhh... A design chalenge? Game on!    

Edited by FUBARD303 - 23 March 2009 at 8:42pm
josh20-11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josh20-11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2009 at 7:43pm
Hey Guys!
I want to build the 1850 horn with a Eminence Omega Pro 18 Speaker!
Do you think its a good choice?

pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2009 at 8:01pm
What the hell? Watch where you are writing your messages!
And the answer: No, it is not a good choice!
jonminns View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonminns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2009 at 10:12pm
As above

No, it isn't, the 1850 is a good choice, or any of the other drivers on the recommended list!!!

READDDDD

I don't understand all these people who look at the designs and then want to use different drivers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>