Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Portable sound system!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2009 at 6:59pm
15w into a beta 8? Won't you need more than that to get one moving?
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2009 at 7:04pm
the 15w amps wont require a capacitor man.  you wont be drawing much current:)
subbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2009 at 7:50pm
Oops, didnt mean to leave that in - my bad :)

SamV - MikeHunt79 reckoned earlier in this thread that they would be up to it? It is a pretty sensitive after all @ 97db 1w1m
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2009 at 12:24pm
i just started working on the wheel system for my bigger 12v system (the one in the video with 18" bass)

i have used some pnuematic tyres. the ones that come on sack trucks.  i have also ripped apart my budget sack truck and used the handle and mounted it directly onto the cabinet.  its getting very heavy so i hope it wont be too hard to move around.  i wanted a one box system because previously i have had to transport battery, amplifier, cabinet etc separately.  previously the cabinet with the battery mounted within was too heavy for the sack truck i had.  now i have removed the weak points the scak truck exhibited i think it will be rigid and resilient.  also, with the battery and amps permenantly mounted and wired inside the cabinet i wont have to worry about damage to things like connections.  will post picks once thigs come together more coherently
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2009 at 12:50pm
subbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2009 at 1:25pm
MikeHunt79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeHunt79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2009 at 4:11pm
15W doesn't sound like much, but give it a try, you'll be surprised. It won't be much use for sub, but for anything over 100Hz I find it gives quite a bit of volume if you don't need megasplease...
I'm English, and as such I crave disappointment. I actively seek it out.
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2009 at 1:02am

no way this will do 2x 75w, but even if it does 2x 10w rms itll be great because it looks like it has a high and low pass filter.  wonder if it is bridgable...  if so, one bridged low pass on a 8", and another stereo high passed on some mid+piezos:) 
phattomherby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phattomherby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2009 at 10:33am

Sorry to hijack...

Come summer i'm going to be building a single 12v powered cab using bits i have at home and stuff off ebay.
I have 2 Delta 15-LF and 2 1" comps currently.
In WinISD i did some fiddling and will likely use a 125l box tuned to 42hz to accomodate a single delta 15lf.
For the mid i reckon i'll use a sealed back driver (or two) like the Alpha8MR and then the 1" for top, adjusting the size of the cab for the amount of space the mid, top and batteries will consume.

I'd prefer to run it active with settings as follows:
50-60hz hi pass filter and ~500hz low pass on the bass
~500hz hi pass on the mids and configure the low pass crossover in accordance with the 1".

I'm thinking that a 1" with a single 15 and two 8" might be a little too much, but if it's run active it'll be an easy problem to solve.

Build will be using the lightest but strongest wood, so 12mm ply or mdf i imagine with loads of bracing. Really want to keep it as light as possible.

Then an amp to suit. Hopefully something with 4 channels, so 2 bridged for bass then another each for mid and tops.

Will also have to look into batteries, don't want over kill so something that can be used for like 8 hours at max. with a more likely run time of about 4-6 hours.

i'm yet to figure it out, but with the bigger batteries (i.e. bigger than rc ni-cad batteries) how do you charge them up? would something like a car battery charger work? mainly cos i have one of those to hand and would prefer to not buy a new charger.

I'll be using for similar reasons to everyone else, small gatherings with friends in woods, at beach. but also to hopefully be able to go into the city set up on some grassland and blast out some tunes and ting.

I'll post pics up over time. And give details of the build with any problems i had.
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2009 at 1:10pm
just put the wheel system in place on my main cabinet.  i was very worried the weight would be too much.  it certainly weighs too much to carry, but once put on its corner and rolled, it is easypeasie.  i have also included a pic of the bass driver for scale (18").  you can see the water proof coating i have applied to the cone to allow easy use in mild drizzle conditions.  should come in at around 75-90kg if my calculations are correct...

rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2009 at 10:06pm
for those looking for batteries...

65ah for £30 delivered cant be bad.  gonna need a 1 farad power cap due to limited current draw capabilities, but a 300w car amp will run well off this...
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2009 at 1:00am
You sure about the cap rich? It made no discernible difference to my various systems.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>