Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HELP!!! DOUBLE HORN 18 DESIGNS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Xmax extreme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xmax extreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP!!! DOUBLE HORN 18 DESIGNS
    Posted: 12 September 2006 at 10:31pm
[QUOTE=tb_mike]

Increasing width will
Increase front chamber volume(good,lowers cutoff slightly)
Increase rear chamber volume(not good,if its too big,excursion increases below cutoff.)
Increase the horn area along its entire length will result in even the horn near throat being wrong.
Cutoff wont be lower because the length is the same.

It would probably well enough though.

thanks tb_mike, took me quite some time to reply, ive been out of town for weeks.

best regards,
xmax extreme

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xmax extreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2006 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by tb_mike tb_mike wrote:

Originally posted by Xmax extreme Xmax extreme wrote:

Hi Angus,

Wow, thanks for that very clear explainations, now i have the a better understanding with the plans and by using the exact driver.  
   Before I have the idea to increase the width when spilt in to two since I have compared it to the 186 plan which has a wider width. And as you have mentioned from the original plans, it has only 42 liters volume, so i pressumed  that increasing the volume would give me a lower frequency cut-off and I could use another driver.

Well, thanks again angus.

Best regards,

Xmax extreme
Increasing width will
Increase rear chamber volume(not good,if its too big,excursion increases below cutoff.)
Increase the horn area along its entire length will result in even the horn near throat being wrong.

tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2006 at 1:57am
Originally posted by Xmax extreme Xmax extreme wrote:

Hi Angus,

Wow, thanks for that very clear explainations, now i have the a better understanding with the plans and by using the exact driver.  
   Before I have the idea to increase the width when spilt in to two since I have compared it to the 186 plan which has a wider width. And as you have mentioned from the original plans, it has only 42 liters volume, so i pressumed  that increasing the volume would give me a lower frequency cut-off and I could use another driver.

Best regards,

Xmax extreme
Increasing width will

tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2006 at 1:54am
Originally posted by NeverWinter NeverWinter wrote:

Why is it that i can not view this link? both fire fox and internet explorer say that it does not exsist...

http://www.selenium.com.br/site2004/downloads/projetos/HB1 80 5C1_p.pdf
It works for me.Are you using some stupid AOL browser or similar?i always see people having problems with those.
gingerbiscuit69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gingerbiscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2006 at 6:22am
*small* mobile disco ..... ummm, these are huge mate, and require big tops and big amps, and make some serious bass! (ie: 1000people+ crowd)

if your volume mad build a G-Sub, that'll cover your needs easily and be easier to find drivers for.
bosbacs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bosbacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2006 at 8:57pm
Hi! I am planning to build this enclosure for my small disco mobile here in the Philippines, I have some questions to clarify.

1. I dont have access to high quality speaker, I only have P Audio, can I use P Audio as replacement for Selenium speaker?
2. Do I need to build 2 or more per side to achieve its performance or one per side is enough?
3.What would be the cut-off frequency for my Active cross-over using this HB1805C1 enclosure?

Hoping to hear you very soon.
Thank you very much,

Very sincerely,
Bosbacs

Edited by bosbacs - 27 August 2006 at 9:01pm
Thanksalot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xmax extreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2006 at 9:45pm

Hi Angus,

Best regards,

Xmax extreme
angus View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2006 at 5:40am
Hi Xmax extreme,

I have not read the forum in detail for some time now (a couple of months maybe) so I have only just seen your post. Sorry about that.

If you want good performance from this, and you want to split it up into two boxes, then you need to split the box exactly into two.

The internal width of each box would be 960 / 2 = 480mm and all other internal measurements would be the same.

If you increase the (external) width to 600mm, the internal width would be:

600 - (2*20) = 560mm

This is 80mm bigger than the plans. This would have the effect of increasing the volume of the box by:

80 / 480 * 100 = 16.66%

The volume in the plan is given as 42 litres, so this would increase to 56 litres I reckon. I can't comment on what exact effect this will have on the sound of the finsihed cabinet but I reckon if you want the best results use the specced driver and build the cabinet as close to the plans as possible.

Cheers,
Angus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xmax extreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2006 at 10:56pm
Hi angus, need help with the selenium cab designs.  you've said that it can be split into two in order to have one 18's in a single cab.
   What would be the effect if the width will be increased? from the original plans the width is 100 cm, if split in two, 50 cm or 19.6 inches. What would be the effect concerning the quality of sound if i will increase the width to let say 23.6 inches or 60cm while the rest of the measurements remains the same.
   thanks for your help.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xmax extreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2006 at 10:27am
Originally posted by angus angus wrote:

The other thing is, I'm sure you can split that Selenium cab up into two units - one driver in each - to make transportation alot easier. Stacking two together should give alomst identical output.

Hi angus, need help with the selenium cab designs.  you've said that it can be split into two in order to have one 18's in a single cab.
   What would be the effect if the width will be increased? from the original plans the width is 100 cm, if split in two, 50 cm or 19.6 inches. What would be the effect concerning the quality of sound if i will increase the width to let say 23.6 inches or 60cm while the rest of the measurements remains the same.
   thanks for your help.
MixMan X View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MixMan X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2005 at 3:57pm

Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

OK, so anyone here willing to give a quote to build a pair of these beasties ? (wire'd, wheel'd, trimite'd, handle'd and dual speakon'd, of course)..

I reckon you would be looking at well over £500 for a pair, not including drivers, built out of birch ply to a professional finish.

DJ Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2005 at 3:09pm

I will sell the drivers for 180 each.

I was going to use them for the next project, What ever that may be.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>