Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Punisher and X-tro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Xtro build-Finished-For SaleĀ£1200

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
Author

Rogers Archive Posts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2009 at 6:23am
Originally posted by darkmatter darkmatter wrote:

Aargh you're scaring me now, what did people think sounded bad? i.e. what was the weak link in the chain? I'd like to know before pursuing this path, its not a cheap mistake lol.

Not sure whether you'll want go give an opinion Rog but if you were to make some tweaks to the xtro design but keep the driver complement the same where would you start?

We had XTA processing, MC2, LAB G's, and many other top amps avalible to drive Matt's Xtro's, but I was (luckily) at the other side of the room when they we trying to set them up, so can't say what the processor or amps were used to power the Xtro's. You need to ask, Jeff or Mike and a couple of others what the setup was as they were playing around with Matt's Xtro.

As to changing or tweaking the design of the Xtro. If Walts happy then I'm happy, so would leave it just the way it is.

BEDWELL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEDWELL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2009 at 2:47pm
absolutely brialliant mate well done ClapClapClap
despoiler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote despoiler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2009 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by Jake_Fielder Jake_Fielder wrote:

Yeah i wrote about that also but never posted it as i couldnt really offer an opinion on it in that situation as there were differnet mids and kicks as well, i think they brill, and have been looking into them, the price of the drivers is the main thing holding me back at the mo.
 I'm in the middle of building a set of xtros and if you want to build them to the original specs for all drivers you will need to do it soon as the B&C DE500 hi frequency drivers are about to be withdrawn from what I was told and the trouble I had finding 4 of them. I had to get them imported from the US to the UK as I couldn't find anyone in the country with any in stock and several UK suppliers said they couldn't  order any more in from B&C. The Beyma TD245 horns were pretty hard to find too but they aint been withdrawn yet and the 8" drivers are Beyma as well and no problem to find..
  If you are in the UK there is only one supplier for 18 sound ND930s in the country and the individual price for the drivers might be high but if you are building a pair of xtros you need 4 of them and double that if you are me and I found that supplier very helpful with the price on a large order.
 If you are going to build some and want to save some time searching for suppliers pm me and I'll let you know where I found mine, eventually, :)
  I've also now had to adjust my rack plans to accomodate the tri amp set-up of the xtros and run on a 4 way active xover arrangement. They are a hell of a nice design but a labour of love to build and run Wink 
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 4:01am
Originally posted by Rog Mogale Rog Mogale wrote:

Aargh you're scaring me now, what did people think sounded bad? i.e. what was the weak link in the chain? I'd like to know before pursuing this path, its not a cheap mistake lol.

Not sure whether you'll want go give an opinion Rog but if you were to make some tweaks to the xtro design but keep the driver complement the same where would you start?

We had XTA processing, MC2, LAB G's, and many other top amps avalible to drive Matt's Xtro's, but I was (luckily) at the other side of the room when they we trying to set them up, so can't say what the processor or amps were used to power the Xtro's. You need to ask, Jeff or Mike and a couple of others what the setup was as they were playing around with Matt's Xtro.

As to changing or tweaking the design of the Xtro. If Walts happy then I'm happy, so would leave it just the way it is.

its the wonderfull sarcasm of this site that always draws me backLOLLOL
Sinfinity View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinfinity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 6:14am
Originally posted by mykey mykey wrote:

Setup was signal fed from XTA on test bench into,
ultradrive, ( not the most expensive bit of kit in the world ), into
old reliable matrix amps ( again not the most expensive bits of kit in the world ), into
xtro.

Will send Saul a pm and ask for the settings he is using, I believe he has set his up.

Maybe I built the xtros' wrong.LOL

Matt at ukamp dot co dot uk
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 12:59pm
well i've used to 8" horns on top of each other so hopefully there won't be a lack of mid. fu*k it the money's spent nowSmile
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 12:59pm

well i've used two 8" horns on top of each other so hopefully there won't be a lack of mid. fu*k it the money's spent nowSmile
despoiler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote despoiler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2009 at 8:41pm
Something on the xtro plans has me a bit puzzled, it says "inside midhorn should be coated with Baffletex to minimise reflections" , I am assuming that means to pack behind the driver with a fiberglass alternative  and not fix a layer of material to the inner faces of the horn itself, the only reference I found to baffletex was a synthetic cloth used in the manufacture of sleeping bags, but does the stuffing also include the space between the horn and the outer box? 
  Also, I have been planning on making a router template for building my cabs and the pics in this thread have made that a whole lot easier so thanks a lot for taking the time to show us your build.

Edited by despoiler - 09 October 2009 at 8:42pm
Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2009 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by Sinfinity Sinfinity wrote:

Originally posted by mykey mykey wrote:

Setup was signal fed from XTA on test bench into,
ultradrive, ( not the most expensive bit of kit in the world ), into
old reliable matrix amps ( again not the most expensive bits of kit in the world ), into
xtro.

Will send Saul a pm and ask for the settings he is using, I believe he has set his up.

Maybe I built the xtros' wrong.LOL

So, matt, rog, cehard, tallmike, csg, etc etc, (whoever was there), 

What was it you thought was wrong with matts xtros?  tell me more. it might be something simple... 
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2009 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by despoiler despoiler wrote:

Something on the xtro plans has me a bit puzzled, it says "inside midhorn should be coated with Baffletex to minimise reflections" , I am assuming that means to pack behind the driver with a fiberglass alternative  and not fix a layer of material to the inner faces of the horn itself, the only reference I found to baffletex was a synthetic cloth used in the manufacture of sleeping bags, but does the stuffing also include the space between the horn and the outer box? 
  Also, I have been planning on making a router template for building my cabs and the pics in this thread have made that a whole lot easier so thanks a lot for taking the time to show us your build.

I translated the German page that comes up if you google baffletex, it appears to be ordinary open cell foam of the type used for speaker front covers.
 Now I have got two conflicting opinions: Tony ASS has posted on FSP about coating the inside of ply horns with resin to create a very hard reflective surface, whereas open cell foam would have the opposite effect. I'm in the middle of putting together 2 6 inch midhorns so does anyone know which is the right approach! 
I think Tony was talking about HF horns so could be the difference? But then there is Earl Geddes's Summa hi-fi speakers which use a foam plug in the HF horn.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2009 at 12:09am
get walt (xtro designer) to clarify. pm him. his user name here is Contour. (sorry if you know this or have tried...) he's always been very prompt about answering punisher / xtro questions.
Contour View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2009 at 9:05am
Baffletex is about 6mm thick foam which is used to cover baffles on hifi speakers to minimise reflections of the sound (high frequency)

Indeed the inside of the midhorn shall be covered (so the part you see from the front of the cabinet)

Best regards,

Walt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>