Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Punisher and X-tro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Xtro build-Finished-For Sale£1200

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 13>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinfinity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2009 at 9:14pm
Saul: camera is a small canon ixus 850 I try to keep close at hand, convenient to keep tucked on belt when building to try and capture fun stuff.

I also use a canon 5d with some nice fast glass and off camera strobes for more interesting stuff but I try and keep that away from metal filings and saw dust. Its way too heavy for snapping in a workshop. Will probably try and get some decent shots when build is finished and the saw dust has died down.

Markk & Wafflesomd:
Thankyou Smile

Matt at ukamp dot co dot uk
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2009 at 9:51pm
What would be nice, maybe even a sticky, would be router bit details for the templates?
 Serious world class woodwork. Top notch. 
It's everything, not everythink!
Rico View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2009 at 9:52pm
Those speakers looks really good

but why did make the on the Horn end thicker?
As far as i know its different on the plan.

http:/

Edited by Rico - 25 April 2009 at 9:52pm
Sinfinity View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinfinity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2009 at 10:05pm
Router & bit details from memory
Router makita 3612 though any decent 1/2" router will do fine here. Make sure its got an accurate depth stop and check this periodically when cutting. Regardless of how tight you get the chuck the bit will slowly pull itself down over many cuts. Make sure that the bit is always sufficiently clamped, you wont want to catch it if it heads your way at 30000rpm. Big smile

Bit = 12mm standard kitchen plunge cutting bit

Collet = 30mm. Comes with quite a few routers as these are purchased by kitchen fitters who use 30mm worktop template cutting jigs.

Then horn end was not made thicker on purpose. We decided to use the handles to provide a fixing point for the grill, and then angled them to make them look pretty.

Cheers
Matt

edit: speeeling

Edited by Sinfinity - 25 April 2009 at 10:08pm
Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2009 at 10:36pm
thats not gona work nicky because everyones router will have a different collet template spacer around the cutter, so the sizes will vary

Edited by Saul - 25 April 2009 at 10:38pm
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2009 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by Saul Saul wrote:

thats not gona work nicky because everyones router will have a different collet template spacer around the cutter, so the sizes will vary

I t does work, trust me, and every kitch fitter on the planet. One point is that the cutter is 12.7mm (1/2" in old money) not 12mm but all router jigs I have used run on a 30mm OD guide, the 12.7mm cutter is usually spec because they are cheap and a standard. But both my 1/2" routers have 30mm followers, my 1/4" has a 20mm I don't know if this is a stndard as the router cost £18 (inc a 110V ceeform) and is Makita "lookey-likey-chinese" but I only use the thing with a 6mm round over so I have never treid to use the guide tingy.....

Smile
Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2009 at 12:25am
hmmm - im not convinced. 

I'll have to have a look on the ELU router i use.  Im sure the spacer is bigger than 30mm. 

you may well be right Smile
Sinfinity View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinfinity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2009 at 1:41pm
I have a kitchen fitter that has been installing for over thirty years. Absolute craftsman that is a pleasure to watch / learn from.
He still has some old ELU gear, including a portable table saw.
The router jigs from Schreiber days thirty years ago used 30mm OD. The jigs are still 30mm, hence why the collet that comes with most of the makita 1/2 routers is 30mm.
Rengade Project View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rengade Project Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2009 at 5:20pm
I just get more jealous each passing day
MUSIC SWEET,www.myspace.com/renegadeproject
Sinfinity View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinfinity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2009 at 12:13am
Day Four,
Cable installed and cable clipped,
four coats of white so far,
external screws holes filled with wood filler and hardener, sanded
one external coat of black.

This filter was perfectly clean and a nice bright blue colour. After sanding the filler it looked like this. At least everything on the filter is not in our lungs Smile

Few more coats of paint, drivers to load and then testing.

A quick question for those with far more knowledge than I.
How to connect two sets of 8 core 2.5mm onto the back of an 8 core speakon connection. Looks a little tight for soldering.

shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2009 at 1:10am
Two ways, one CHEAT, link the 2 nl8s with a bit of heat shrink threaded over the link wires and then just strip out 10mm of the insulation wrap the "tap-in" wire to your driver around the exposed bit, solder and then heat shrink up....

Or the way I do it is with hellerman h30 sleeves, lubed and applied over the pair of pre-striped conductors with the "fanny stretcher" tool, this sleeve holds the 2 conductors together tight so they can be soldered as one onto the NL8 tab abd then the sleeve pushed down to give a rock solid assembly.
A good tip here is to wire some driver to the "input" NL8 and some to the "output" NL8 to aviod it getting silly tight on the one connector....

I've also seen PCBs used for this but a lot of hassle for a short run and can go wrong as EV will testify when their TG7 amps blown all the copper off the insides of their X-line subs...

Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2009 at 5:06pm
u can buy neutrik clamp tabs - look on the website
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 13>