Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

current draw off a 13amp socket?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: current draw off a 13amp socket?
    Posted: 15 April 2009 at 1:10am
Not really a subject i know anything about hence the question. Last weekend it seemed that my amps where lighitng up the clip light on the amps at realatively low outputs from the mixer, about 70% of what they normally seem to do and well before the avc2 kicked in. I have heard this can happen if you are trying to draw too much current from a single power supply to power your amps. Im just wondering if we have now reached the max we can pull of normal plug in a pub or if something else was up with our rig.

We were running this off a single 13amp socket, is it too much and do i need to invest in some sort of distro as its always been fine in the past

first ep2500, both channels driven into 8r loads at full whack for bass
second ep2500, 1 channel driven into an 8r load at full whack for bass and 1 into 8r at about 10 o clock for the comp driver
Tapco J2500, both channels driven into 8r loads at full whack for mids
berry crossover (cx3400 i think, the 3way stereo/4way mono one)
avc2
berry eq (fbq something i think 2 channel 31 band eq)
a pair of 1210's
urei 1603 mixer
laptop running only audacity to record the set
Kam led swingfire light
space echo pedal
siren
delay

It was most notable whilst playing reggae with the bass lines causing the clip to occur although it did also happen during a jungle set which again is very bass heavy. Other types of music seemed ok and it didnt appear to make any audible difference to the music when it was going into clip. Also no audible or visual damage has occured to any of the drivers so im hoping we got through it ok.

thanks in advance guys
Heathrow_B_line View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heathrow_B_line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2009 at 1:19am
you can draw a constant 13 amps  from a 13amp socket safely

exactly how much current were you drawing?

get a meter on it instead of waffling on
Produce a killer sound. Take no prisoners.
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2009 at 1:27am
Originally posted by fat_brstd fat_brstd wrote:

Not really a subject i know anything about hence the question. Last weekend it seemed that my amps where lighitng up the clip light on the amps at realatively low outputs from the mixer, about 70% of what they normally seem to do and well before the avc2 kicked in. I have heard this can happen if you are trying to draw too much current from a single power supply to power your amps. Im just wondering if we have now reached the max we can pull of normal plug in a pub or if something else was up with our rig.

<snip>

It was most notable whilst playing reggae with the bass lines causing the clip to occur

<snip>

Maybe there was a lot more on the ring main you were connected to. As a ring main is supposed to be good for 32A, (not thru one socket though.. LOL)

Edited by levyte357 - 15 April 2009 at 1:49am
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
fat_brstd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2009 at 1:36am
Originally posted by Heathrow_B_line Heathrow_B_line wrote:

you can draw a constant 13 amps  from a 13amp socket safely

exactly how much current were you drawing?

get a meter on it instead of waffling on

I have no idea how much current I was drawing. I dont have a way of measuring it and wouldnt know how to do so even if I had the kit to do so.. That is why i gave the list of everything that we where using off the one plug socket.
Unknown Enemy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unknown Enemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2009 at 1:55am
Why not just add up all the watts for each unit???

If you go over 3000 watts then you will need more than one plug socket.
mrchay View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrchay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2009 at 9:38am
Early clipping does seem to be a thing that happens when the voltage of the supply drops, eg running from a generator that cant quite keep up.

Although in theory you can draw 13amps from a 13amp socket, in practice this isnt always true. For example a car might have a 200mph top speed, but that doesnt mean it can run at 200mph all day. the quality of the wiring makes a difference.

a single extension lead, especially if its a long one, is a bad plan - if u have to use one, use excessively thick wire.

someone cleverer than me can explain the physics of it, but I am under the impression that if you draw a constant 13amps on standard domestic style ring main, you will notice that the internal wiring does warm up. as your wiring warms up your resistance increases, and the voltage drops. this causes your amps to clip early.
Heathrow_B_line View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heathrow_B_line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2009 at 12:17pm
buy one of these, then report back...

Plug-In Mains Power and Energy Monitor
Produce a killer sound. Take no prisoners.
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2009 at 12:28pm
seconded on heathrows above post, and get some proper 13amp leads, not white domestic things!!

looks for 13amp leads with 'duraplug' branded plugs and sockets (high quality tough good ones) on 1.5mm or 2.5mm 'rubber H07' type cable. sorted
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
MikeHunt79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeHunt79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2009 at 1:44pm
Someone told me he could pull 30A from a plug if he replaced the fuse with a nail, not exactly safe tho, I wouldn't recommend it! LOL
I'm English, and as such I crave disappointment. I actively seek it out.
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2009 at 9:46pm
26A actually, that's 13A down each "side" of the ring main to the socket in question. And yes it is not to be recommended as the internals of a 13A plug are only good for 13A, no matter what cable is shoe-horned into it!
And the voltage you would get at the t'other end of a nautical mile of twin-and-earth wrapped round the building twice before it gets near the breaker board, while drawing 26A down it, will be quite a bit less than 230v - this will not make your amps happy. And the wiring will be hot to the touch. Shame this is a situation so commonly found!
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
COZY PILLOW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COZY PILLOW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2009 at 11:02pm

The back of you're Amps etc should tell you how much current they draw, in amps, near to the mains input. eg 5 amps or 8 amps etc. This will tell you how much current draw the unit will take at constant full power. Try to use 2.5mm cable extensions no more than 6m long if possible. If you are in a venue where there are more sockets try to use the amps directly connected into the wall sockets and the other items through extensions. don't use long extension reels that are partially still wound as this will cause the cable to overheat and sometimes melt. The secret is to take the item to the power not the power to the item. Also be very aware of the correct size of fuse in the Plugs or the item. If they have 3 amp or 5 amp fuses never replace them with a higher value as the fuse in the plug is only the last resort protection for the circuit. If the Equipment is faulty and a fuse blows in the plug, it's usually becuase there has been a nasty short circuit or a sudden spike. Remember it's not the amount of voltage that neccessarily kills its the amount of current drawn at that instant. BE SAFE NOT DEAD.  

COZY
 Post Reply Post Reply