Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"ODEP" crown macrotech

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foldback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "ODEP" crown macrotech
    Posted: 16 April 2009 at 11:25am

Weve just got a load of macrotech amps. we havnt run them up yet but ive switched them on and they all go into "ODEP" mode. which is some kind of protect from what ive read on the net.

Could this be a mains problem in our building? All five of them do the same thing....

Any thoughts?

cheers

Ben
t0m View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t0m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2009 at 11:31am
What is showing them all in "ODEP" mode?

If the ODEP light shows on the front panel this means ODEP is ready to use, not that its activated.

The light goes dim and then finally completely OUT as the ODEP kicks in.

Check signal through the amps.

//t0m
http://www.microrave.biz

PA/Sound/Staging/Lighting & Laser Hire for London & the whole of the UK
foldback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foldback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2009 at 11:34am
ahhhh  iam being a spanner.  just read abit further in the manual pdf and its all there. cheers for your help though dude

=)
t0m View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t0m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2009 at 11:38am
No probs :) Shame they don't have signal/level lights on the Crowns! that really pisses me off!

Have fun with your 5 amps!!

//t0m

jonminns View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonminns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2009 at 1:43am
When the red odep lights go out, the drivers are dead

Just so you know :)
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2009 at 9:44pm
Quote Shame they don't have signal/level lights on the Crowns! that really pisses me off!

All the ones I've seen do. Its the IOC light that flashes dim to the music.

Kevin

North Staffordshire

t0m View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t0m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2009 at 10:04pm
The light flashes to the signal correct, but shows no sign of how much DB is being achieved or when clipping occurs, unless it does flash red when clipping and i've never pushed it that hard! Which I doubt i've NEVER done!

//t0m

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2009 at 10:41pm
The IOC lights flash at normal brightness when you're running before clipping.  They then flash extra bright when you reach clipping.  Not the easiest or most obvious indication to see but you can tell when they've run out of headroom.

DjLeco View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DjLeco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2009 at 1:10am
If you have Macotech 3600VZ or 5000VZ, is normal the ODEP led's be light on , after 4 secs of starting up and internal status check.

During working, especially on low out impedance (2 ohms each channel),the ODEP leds, dimming lower and lower, showing the amp is  going to reach the max thermal output reserve,and when the led's are very low intensity or has been dimmed out, the amp looses his thermal reserve, and next step will be the ODEP protection to be activate, reducing the output power to safe levels for final stage, to have enough time to get cooling, and reach again safe temperatures for output final devices.
Generally this kind of issue, will occur when the ventilation is not proper, or the dust filters on front side are very very dirty...
If this kind of protection doesnt have succes to help amp get cold, presuming 1 or  both fan is fauty, then ODEP protection, runs over this step and when final output transistors(the heatsink) will reach more than 120 celsius degrees, the last protection stage will trimm out the power supply on primary coil of power transformer (relais will decouple).
You have the entire manual service, with all adjustments (for recalibrating) here:

Scroll down till reach Macro-Tech series

Enjoy the best amplifier that Crown, ever produced (MA5000VZ), in my opinion!

Edited by DjLeco - 05 May 2009 at 1:20am
I'm A Stupid SMART Romanian...
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2009 at 1:24am
Originally posted by DjLeco DjLeco wrote:

If you have Macotech 3600VZ

Then make sure you have pocket money saved for all the recone kits you'll need.Embarrassed
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
chickenfizz View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chickenfizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2009 at 2:39am
yes, I agree, this amp (MA3600) does seem very good at destroying speakers. It's the only macrotech I really don't trust.

By the way the MA5000 is the only common macrotech that has a red (actually dual colour) LED and it doesn't flash to indicate clip, it indicates the amp is delivering maximum current and could flash well after the amp clips but not usually before. Clip indication is the same as the rest of the series, a bright flash of IOC, and from memory it holds for 0.5 sec for output clip and 0.2 sec for input clip. Not the most clear system admittedly. ODEP should never dim, if it dims there is a problem. ODEP is a misunderstood feature IMO, it's intended to keep the amp operational rather than disconnecting the load as is standard. It's not a signal limiter and doesn't provide any speaker protection. It's there purely to protect the output devices and in most cases does a good job with the advantage of still having a usable amp rather than one that's disconnected the speakers or is going through a thermal cycle.
dannyavila View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dannyavila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2009 at 5:39am
Hi Ben.

For your pace of mind, buy some Crown PIP-CLP modules for your MA1200 to MA3600 power amplifiers to add Clip Limiter function to power output and protect your loudspeakers.

Those are probably the best amplifiers made in USA.

Cheers!
Danny Avila.

Tech Service Manager

Inaudio Servicios Integrales.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>