Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"ODEP" crown macrotech

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DjLeco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2009 at 11:36am
Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

Originally posted by DjLeco DjLeco wrote:

If you have Macotech 3600VZ

Then make sure you have pocket money saved for all the recone kits you'll need.Embarrassed
Why you tell that?
Do you want to tell MA3600VZ is a bad amplifier,or it offers big output power?
I own 2x 5000VZ, and I'm very happy with what it offers on output.

Reconditioning thread here: Clap

Edited by DjLeco - 05 May 2009 at 12:50pm
I'm A Stupid SMART Romanian...
spudmiester View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spudmiester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2009 at 12:28pm

The '36 VZ is a driver scoffing nasty bastard of an amplifier. Like others have said, be carefull. I had two of these once, they destroyed 4 decent 18 inch RCF drivers so I chopped them in for some CA12's.

Not to be left in the hands of the inexperienced, or DJ's.

Cant comment on 5000's as have never owned one, the 3600 put me off !
DjLeco View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DjLeco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2009 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by chickenfizz chickenfizz wrote:

yes, I agree, this amp (MA3600) does seem very good at destroying speakers. It's the only macrotech I really don't trust.

By the way the MA5000 is the only common macrotech that has a red (actually dual colour) LED and it doesn't flash to indicate clip, it indicates the amp is delivering maximum current and could flash well after the amp clips but not usually before. Clip indication is the same as the rest of the series, a bright flash of IOC, and from memory it holds for 0.5 sec for output clip and 0.2 sec for input clip.

The  Signal/IOC led (Input Output Comparator) lights normally(dimmed at approx 1/2 intensity) when output signals matched the input signal with distorsion no more than 0,05%.

It starts to lit brighter but for very short periods ( peaks under 0,2 sec), when distortion occurs, greater than 0,05%, and lights brighter more than 0,5 -1 sec, when output stage is in real clipping.

The Iload/Ilimit led lits green when the amp is working in normal current parameters, and goes into RED colour, when the amp is reaching the maximum current capability on output stage.
But independent of CLIP status,because the amp can deliver his maximum current capability (presuming lower impedance than 2 ohms/ch),before entering in clip!

Running the amp in 4 ohms load/ch, the Iload/Ilimit led, never turns in red colour, (even if is clipped at output,because the amp is made for 2 ohms/ch loading),it works on green stage (excluding case of shortened voice coil of loudspeaker, or mismatched loads),only in 2 ohms/ch, the amp goes for red blinking, when the amp is reaching his max output current capability.

Mine amplifiers was modded by myself on ODEP leds changed from red to orange colour, the IOC leds, was changed in bicolor leds,for normal and IOC output (small modifications in led board), and it works well , when the output becomes distorted or clipped, on the green colour it still light and the red colour will lights too, more brightly than the green, to show distorted or clipped output, also the power leds was changed for very brighting leds blue(for bass amp) and red(for top's amp).

The macrotech series amplifiers, are OLDSCHOOL, the one amplifiers wich delivers full output power, all the time, without occuring limmiting after short periods of full output power, like all the switching power supplies  amplifier series like I-Tech series, or XTI series or even Macro Itech series, wich cannot sustain max out power for longterm,
because limmiting occurs...

The Macrotech series, is the amp who gives th real power all the time,if are used in normal operation situations.

I cannot pronounce on MA2400 or MA 3600 series, because I never own one of it, I buyed direct 5000VZ series, wich for me is FLAWLESS, excluding the weight...

Edited by DjLeco - 05 May 2009 at 1:11pm
dannyavila View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dannyavila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2009 at 1:31pm
The Macro-Tech Series power amps don't have neither a Red Clipping light indicator nor Clipping Limiter circuit in models ranging from MA1200 to MA3600. This means that you should be experienced enough to create a decent system gain structure and keep these amps into their RMS power zone most of the time. If you let your amps going beyond this line for long periods where even distorted sound can be noticeable, you`re going to fry out your loudspeaker voice coils to death. In bass bins applications, it's hard to keep the amps in the safe zone so the MA3600 is often blamed for destroying tons of good and well reputed 18" drivers.

As I said some post ago, adding a PIP-CLP module solves this problem and gives this amp an unparalleled performance on heavy duty usage, while keeps loudspeaker working for years. The MA5000VZ is the only model of these Series that includes a 2 speed switchable Clip Limiter.

"Guns don't kill people; people do".

Sleepy

Edited by dannyavila - 05 May 2009 at 1:35pm
Danny Avila.

Tech Service Manager

Inaudio Servicios Integrales.
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2009 at 8:42pm

http://www.forum.poweraudio.ro/viewtopic.php?t=4179

What are saying here?

Singura limitare am avut-o in MONO BRIDGE 4 OHM, unde dupa 15 sec, mi-a sarit sigurantza de 32A de la tablou,pina la mine in camera am bransament FY4 din cupru(instalatie refacuta, evident de mine).
Toate testele au fost facute pe ambele canale rulind simultan, cu ODEP selectat pe sectiunea Hi Voltage.

My Romanian is a tad rusty.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 05 May 2009 at 8:43pm
Elliot Thompson
DjLeco View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DjLeco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2009 at 9:17pm

Singura limitare am avut-o in MONO BRIDGE 4 OHM, unde dupa 15 sec, mi-a sarit sigurantza de 32A de la tablou,pina la mine in camera am bransament FY4 din cupru(instalatie refacuta, evident de mine).
Toate testele au fost facute pe ambele canale rulind simultan, cu ODEP selectat pe sectiunea Hi Voltage.

means:

The only one limmiting ,I had it in MONO BRIDGE 4 OHM where after 15 seconds, the main fuse 32A on power distribution has blown.

Till my room the branchement was re-made by my from cooper conductor FY4mm2.

All tests was done on both channels running, with ODEP set to Hi Voltage.Wink

Best regards from me, too!

Edited by DjLeco - 05 May 2009 at 9:24pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2009 at 10:34pm

Nice!

I was reading in the manual that the current limit is set to 114 amperes. Considering it is a fully dual mono design in which, it has no problem delivering 35 amperes in 4-ohm Bridged Mono, I am sure it will offer 35 amperes per channel in 2-ohm stereo continuously.

Did yours come with 30-amp slow blow fuses? I reconfigured mine to 240-volts however never downsized the fuse to 20 amperes per power supply like Crown suggested.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 05 May 2009 at 10:37pm
Elliot Thompson
dannyavila View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dannyavila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2009 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

...I reconfigured mine to 240-volts however never downsized the fuse to 20 amperes per power supply like Crown suggested...

Just be aware that if you get a short circuit on Mains Full Bridge rectifier your amp is going to loose its Main transformer and Soft start circuit for sure.

Ouch
Danny Avila.

Tech Service Manager

Inaudio Servicios Integrales.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2009 at 11:23pm

Originally posted by dannyavila dannyavila wrote:

Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

...I reconfigured mine to 240-volts however never downsized the fuse to 20 amperes per power supply like Crown suggested...

Just be aware that if you get a short circuit on Mains Full Bridge rectifier your amp is going to loose its Main transformer and Soft start circuit for sure.

Ouch

Thanks Danny!

I definitely do not want to loose the power transformer.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
DjLeco View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DjLeco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2009 at 6:01pm
Mine was come both of it with 20A slow blow fuses, because was for european 220-240 volts.

I reconfigured for 210 volts because usually in Romania, in some cases, at some locations AC plug is dropping under 220 Volts.

Any opinions about this amplifier?
Anyone?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2009 at 6:15am

Mine was come both of it with 20A slow blow fuses, because was for european 220-240 volts.

I reconfigured for 210 volts because usually in Romania, in some cases, at some locations AC plug is dropping under 220 Volts.

Any opinions about this amplifier?

Anyone?

Thanks DjLeco

I own six Macro-Tech 5000VZ amplifiers ranging from 10 to 14 years with no issues whatsoever.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
DjLeco View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DjLeco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2009 at 7:24pm
Best regards from Romania, too!Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>