Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"ODEP" crown macrotech

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pchclx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2009 at 7:40pm
hi sorry to jump into a conversation - new member here but having a bit of a problem w my Crown 5002VZ.  after about 5 secs of use, the ODEP light goes out and the signal cuts completely.  can't be a heat issue as im using it outdoors and is well ventilated.  i was powering a pair of EV Eliminator 8ohm 350w speakers, and the same problem when powering a pair of EAW sb850 subs.  am i making a legitimate mistake w mismatching loads, or is there a problem with the amp?  any help is much appreciated.

Edited by pchclx - 17 May 2009 at 8:00pm
pchclx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pchclx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2009 at 7:56pm
edit: this also happens w no signal coming into the amps, and the channels turned down completely. .. ??
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2009 at 9:24pm
There are LED indicators inside the amplifier to help you troubleshoot the problem. If you are not technically inclined, you need to take it to a repair shop in order to get it fixed. Your amp is broken.

Try searching for a Crown authorised repair shop within your area on Crown's website. I had my Crown MA 600 fixed at Stereo Exchange in Soho in 1994. However I have no idea if they repair amplifiers anymore.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
S DeXter View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S DeXter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2009 at 12:57am
Ampman fixes them. Had one with a screw been dropped inside it, totally fried one channel.

The LEDs on the front of a 5000 are a bit confusing and have lead to a few premature driver deaths over the years. As has probably already been explained

This is how it should look

ODEP = RED
SIGNAL / IOC = Green (bright green means theres more than 0.05% THD, Input output comparator =. clipping)
ILoad / ILimit = Yellow, Red means your at max current.

Ive struggled to get the ODEP light to go out, if you clip it into 2 ohms stereo i suppose it would, but this is just bad practice!!
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2009 at 11:35am

Originally posted by S DeXter S DeXter wrote:

ILoad / ILimit = Yellow, Red means your at max current.

Possibly you are using a modified Macro-Tech 5000vz for mine offer green (as the IOC) LEDs when the load is flowing and red when it has reached its maximum current.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by dannyavila dannyavila wrote:

If you let your amps going beyond this line for long periods where even distorted sound can be noticeable, you`re going to fry out your loudspeaker voice coils to death. In bass bins applications, it's hard to keep the amps in the safe zone so the MA3600 is often blamed for destroying tons of good and well reputed 18" drivers.

As I said some post ago, adding a PIP-CLP module solves this problem and gives this amp an unparalleled performance on heavy duty usage, while keeps loudspeaker working for years. The MA5000VZ is the only model of these Series that includes a 2 speed switchable Clip Limiter.

Thanks for that, where's the cheapest place to get these pip cars from?

Does the 3600 have a rep for getting hot, on same loads as MA5000VZ?

Also, anyone know approx price to upgrade MA5000VZ to MA5002VZ?
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
twinypaul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twinypaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 8:15pm
you realy need the right model crown for the size of driver 3600 for 15s 5000 for 18s and if you are still runnig out of headroom you need more boxes and amps
paul
Hugo Biermann View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugo Biermann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2009 at 6:10pm
ILoad / ILimit = Yellow, Red means your amp's gonna swich output off in less than a split second if the load is anything below 4Ohms an a 5002VZ! Its a bitch running 3 bass cabs per side on that thing. It hates 2.6 Ohm, dont even want to see 2.
www.aggressiveaudio.co.za
DjLeco View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DjLeco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2009 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by Hugo Biermann Hugo Biermann wrote:

ILoad / ILimit = Yellow, Red means your amp's gonna swich output off in less than a split second if the load is anything below 4Ohms an a 5002VZ! Its a bitch running 3 bass cabs per side on that thing. It hates 2.6 Ohm, dont even want to see 2.
Are you sure about you're saying?
I'm owner of 2 pieces of Macrotech 5000VZ beasts, ans they have runned one full night with 2 ohms(4x8 ohms subs) on each channel,and don't have any kind of troubles.

Don't be LIAR and don't make me to load photos with 5000VZ  running around to clip level on dummy load 2 ohms each channel, for half hour of 50Hz benching.

I understand all to love new digital or lightweight amplifiers, but 5000VZ is the best amplifier(at his class) that Crown ever produced.

More better than Itech series too, wich have alot of limmiting, especially on 2 ohm loads.

Please, don't make such affirmations, I'm sure that you never seen an macrotech inside...
here's some pictures from reconditioning of my amps, done by myself.

Edited by DjLeco - 08 July 2009 at 8:44pm
I'm A Stupid SMART Romanian...
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugo Biermann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2009 at 10:05pm
F.u.c.k-o.f.f! Please, don't be brave now! You would have noticed that I was talking about the 5002VZ if you were able to read. I have been working with these things for the past 7 odd years. The company I run the sound department for have these things in stock too. I have never had ANY probles when driving them in 4Ohm loads or higher, ONLY when I go below 4Ohm. I always run these size amps on 32A Cee-Form too. They do play niceley in 2ohm if you whatch your level, but as soon as you have too start pushing them a bit the ILoad / ILimit light goes red and the relay kicks in. Every single time! On probably 15 different 5002VZ's! Then, the 5000VZ is the other ORIGINAL Macro-Tech, never lets me down. It goes 2ohm all night long while the 5002VZ is choking next to it.

Please, get yourself an 5002VZ and run 8 cabs with a 600-800watt powerhanling on it. See how long you will be able too keep your bassline going properley or the bands kickdrum in step on the field.

Then, I'll bring an 9001 and piss all over your 5000VZ and 5002VZ afterwards. If you want to talk about amps in its class. You can give the Crest a harder beating than ANY Macro-Tech.

"BLA BLA BLA....
Liar!
BLA BLA BLA
have you seen the inside...
BLA
Here is my pics!
BLA BLA
I will show you my 5***VZ:"

http://i40.tinypic.com/xfb3av.jpg

ITS A f**kING 5000VZ, NOT AN 5002VZ!
AND LEARN ENGLISH!

YOU MA SE POES!

DjLeco View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DjLeco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2009 at 10:51pm
I'm not telling you same words , shame for your spelling on a public forum, I dont like to injury anybody,but to make the 5002VZ (designed for 120Vac), to work properly and deliver his rated power, you must supply'em with minimum 44 amps from the main supply, to expect loading him with on 2 ohm each channel, and run it into his maximum (2 ohm) power output.

So, you have supplied'em on 32 amps soket is normally to have that behaviour, because the 32 amps on 120Vac have exactly 3840 watts power (alot underpower).

So a class AB+B amplifier to deliver 5000 watts, must be supplied with around 7 Kwatts of power,regarding their randament.

If you had read their manual, you will understand why they said about 42,6 amperes draw for 50% duty cycle (2 ohms loading), and in some cases it could draw around 80 Amps maximum, to reach their full power,because AC power droppings...

So for 4 ohms on both channels it will draw around 34,3 amps, how the PDF says, exactly wich you fave feed on your 32 amps soket.

Learn, you cannot beat physic,P=UxI

So, first time, supply-em with desired power requirements, and after that  talk about it.
Internal 5002VZ is THE SAME with internal 5000VZ, excepting main supply.Wink
So don't be angry for your fools..Angry

Also, I'm not talking here about advantages or disadvantages between Crown-Crest.

So go to piss somewhere else!
Personally I dont like ClassH sound (crest).

Good luck!

Edited by DjLeco - 09 July 2009 at 1:34am
I'm A Stupid SMART Romanian...
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugo Biermann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2009 at 9:42am
"Learn, you cannot beat physic,P=UxI"

We run 230v in South Africa! We get the 240v models over here. Our generators for gigs run @ 240V and the problem does'nt go away... There are at least 20 other techs over here to back me up about the 2 ohm problem.

So, we are running in 2ohm or 2.6ohm, need around 30A peak for each amp and each are running on a 32A Cee-form socket. Thats 6 Macros.  We need 60A per phase on our 100KVA gennie running @ 240V. The mids and highs need around 30A per phase to run properly. Thats far under the 125A distros trip point, not to even speak about choking the gennie. Am I calculating all of this wrong? Every time? I must be. Because according to you were running 120V.

Whose angry now, fool.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>