Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"ODEP" crown macrotech

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S DeXter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2009 at 10:21am

Crowns are designed to run at 2ohms and they will do all night. They only hit the red ILoad / Limit when you clip them in 2ohm, which of course you never do...

I've been searching for ages to find again a document i read on the net where they ran about 8 macro 5000s at one gig at 1 OHM per channel. All the ODEP lights were off, the ILoad / Limit were RED and not one went wrong. They are IMO the best touring amp of the 20th century.
S DeXter View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S DeXter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2009 at 10:26am

And of course there is very little differnce between the 5000 and 5002, i have ran both at 2ohms no problems. Allegedly crown only did it to boost sales.

Hugo Biermann View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugo Biermann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2009 at 10:33am
I know exacty how reliable these things are. I never have ANY problems running them in 4 ohm as I said. I dont know why there is that problem with the 5002. The 5000 doesnt ever die on gigs. NEVER. Even the distributors over here doesn't reccomend that we rin the 02's less than 4ohm for gigs. My amps are properley limited in any case. Its just that I have had this experience over and over for how long now. 
www.aggressiveaudio.co.za
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2009 at 11:03am
Originally posted by Hugo Biermann Hugo Biermann wrote:

I know exacty how reliable these things are. I never have ANY problems running them in 4 ohm as I said. I dont know why there is that problem with the 5002. The 5000 doesnt ever die on gigs. NEVER. Even the distributors over here doesn't reccomend that we rin the 02's less than 4ohm for gigs. My amps are properley limited in any case. Its just that I have had this experience over and over for how long now. 

Have you contacted Crown? 

You live in Africa where the climate may contribute to your problems where others like myself are not faced with the same type of weather conditions.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
DjLeco View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DjLeco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2009 at 11:14am
Is very interesing what you say, so it could be something that you missed!

Now I saw that you use them on power generators!

Are you sure that they offer 50 herts sinusoidal perfectly?

Because the amplifier has internal overvolt protection semireglabil adjust, (R780) and also an jumper for 50Hz ans 60 Hz (JP1), and here can be the key of your misterious behavior of the amps!

Try to feed'em on local 220-240 volts Ac power supply, and check again inside the jumper  (JP1)of 50-60Hz , also the Voltage Conversion Tabel, could be something dubious there!

If it's OK, on local Ac power plug, is solved the mistery!

I had a friend in Romania wich owns 3 macrotech, 2of 5002VZ and 1 MA3600VZ.

Never had problems with 5002VZ, even running lower than 2 ohms each channel 5 spealers of 8 ohms loaded, on each chennel.

The I-Load I-Limit leds are on red in some peaks,but never entered into cliping (maximum output current achieved).

I'm not fighting or argue with you!Embarrassed

Friends?Big smile

I'm A Stupid SMART Romanian...
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugo Biermann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2009 at 11:20am
Cool.
Its the same on the gennie and the wall.

I'm in Cape Town. Climates' like Italy or whatever. Thats not the prob.
DjLeco View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DjLeco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2009 at 11:39am
How many pieces of it do you own?

All do the same thing?

Is curious their behavior if all do the same thing on the same time.
I'm A Stupid SMART Romanian...
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugo Biermann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2009 at 11:50am
They all drive bass 35Hz - 80/120Hz. 2x 5000VZ and 4x 5002VZ. When pushed hard the 02's kill output whenever they want while 5000's keep on smiling....
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugo Biermann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2009 at 12:04pm
They were all in the same cases too. Heres some pics of a rack [phone cam]:
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/1566/dsc00021ztk.jpg

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/609/dsc00022n.jpg
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugo Biermann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2009 at 12:20pm
All always on o.775 and either VZ-Odep or Lock Low. All amps always set exacly the same.
S DeXter View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S DeXter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2009 at 12:29pm

What are you using for limiters? Do the amps clip (IOC)......

Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugo Biermann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2009 at 1:25pm
Driverack 260/480.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>