Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How To......Cardioid Sub Arrays

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tall_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2013 at 4:48pm
I just do this with 8 or more Quakes....

Instant cardoid controlled sub. You could have a conversation behind them quite happily while FOH was getting some serious bass pressure!
loonie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2013 at 9:23am
Nice set-up Mike, what mid highs were you running? Were they in stereo each side?

Team DB
tall_mike View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tall_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2013 at 11:27am
top boxes were EM Acoustics X3, four a side!
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2013 at 11:36pm
How does this works out with horn coupling & mouth area?

If I reverse 2 in a stack of 6 bandpasshorns (bph) will the reversed box uncouple?

If I do end fire distance have to be kept big enough not to "stuff" horn mouth (negative expansion).

I guess end fire could make rear horns see a bigger horn or a corner, front stack is delayed to couple.

I can't really figure out what happens to 2 reversed boxes and the horn coupling? Will it overexcurt fron cancelation or the opposite couple the delayed half wave from front? I'm a little worried about this, no drivers to waste.
dymondaudio View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dymondaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 12:54pm
Sorry for dragging up an old thread but I think most of the contributors are still active members. 

I am starting to get into sub arrays and am looking to do a simple set up for a gig in a couple of weeks

My aim is to reduce bass behind the speakers as there are premises quite close by. 

The venue is a big tent. 

I will be using three 18” reflex subs each side of the stage (this is the only config available because of the venue set-up)

So… flip the centre sub, reverse its polarity and delay it by the distance between the rear driver and the drivers in front. 

Is this it or have I missed something? (Seems too simple!)

Cheers all

Edited by dymondaudio - 08 May 2022 at 12:55pm
If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 5:30pm
The easy way... Nexo CD18, or if your budget is low'ish, Nexo CD12. 
CD18 is a mean piece of kit! But you need some hands to throw them around. Big Box with Big Sound!
CD12 on the other hand.. That is a fun little box which pack quite a good punch without being fridge sized LOL

Edited by FOO - 08 May 2022 at 5:33pm
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dymondaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by FOO FOO wrote:

The easy way... Nexo CD18, or if your budget is low'ish, Nexo CD12. 
CD18 is a mean piece of kit! But you need some hands to throw them around. Big Box with Big Sound!
CD12 on the other hand.. That is a fun little box which pack quite a good punch without being fridge sized LOL

Was this posted in the correct topic?
If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid
VECTORDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VECTORDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 6:40pm
K.I.S.S.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dymondaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2022 at 9:50am
Originally posted by VECTORDJ VECTORDJ wrote:

K.I.S.S.

Could you expand on this, is what I'm saying correct?
VECTORDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VECTORDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2022 at 1:06pm
K.I.S.S........DSP and Digital Mixers have allowed for so much more adjustment then ever before.......Maybe too much...A Friend does Sound and uses EVERY button of his gear...Time delay the Drums to the mains, Gates, Compressor, EQ, Effects on every channel...Some rear facing subs...etc, etc, sounded like Dog Shit.....I went to one of His Shows and turned off most of that stuff...Used Gates on Drums, 2;1 Compressor on Vocals, and a very small amount of EQ and Reverb on Vocals....WOW! His system delivered cranking Sound....He was over Thinking Sound....Sometimes K.I.S.S. is the Best.....
KDW32 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KDW32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2022 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by dymondaudio dymondaudio wrote:

K.I.S.S.

Could you expand on this, is what I'm saying correct?

I'm going for it being an acronym for keep it simple stupid. Or maybe he was listening to the hair metal band. Either way very helpful lol
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dymondaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2022 at 1:19pm

K.I.S.S........DSP and Digital Mixers have allowed for so much more adjustment then ever before.......Maybe too much...A Friend does Sound and uses EVERY button of his gear...Time delay the Drums to the mains, Gates, Compressor, EQ, Effects on every channel...Some rear facing subs...etc, etc, sounded like Dog Shit.....I went to one of His Shows and turned off most of that stuff...Used Gates on Drums, 2;1 Compressor on Vocals, and a very small amount of EQ and Reverb on Vocals....WOW! His system delivered cranking Sound....He was over Thinking Sound....Sometimes K.I.S.S. is the Best.....

I understand what KISS means and I completely agree with you regards to keeping the signal chain clean etc. but this is not what I'm suggesting here. 

I'm looking to set-up cardioid subs to mitigate/reduce a possible noise complaint issue, not because I think it's fashionable ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>