Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

hardware interupts and dpc's

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minaximal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hardware interupts and dpc's
    Posted: 22 April 2009 at 2:03pm
help!

i have gaone mad.

spending two weeks trying to get one of three different soundcards working on my tablet lappy, i have tried every ms os, and 7 clean installs, all of which the cards are not recognised or i get massive dpc's on one core of my dual core.

atm i am running vista ultimate but stripped down, on my dell xt tablet, using a emu 0404 usb 2.0, all latest drivers.

i tried a m-audio profire firewire= not recognised by internal TI chipset, so i got a native inst kontrol1 usb= not recognised by os, now the emu works, but with the above problems!!

anyone know how i can sort out what the dpc spikes are, i tried a kernalviewer thing but thats meant to be for xp and i didn't understand if it worked or not when looking at results.

i don't think it's an irq problem, so either i am either very unlucky with cards or maybe my mobo is not working properly?

cheers al

when this is done i will finally be able to sort out some speaker measurements!!!
Subs + Barges = :)

www.metaacoustics.com

nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2009 at 8:20pm
If it's not an IRQ issue you've covered all the bases. Horrid situation...
It's everything, not everythink!
minaximal View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minaximal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2009 at 10:27am
Originally posted by nickyburnell nickyburnell wrote:

If it's not an IRQ issue you've covered all the bases. Horrid situation...

bugger

www.metaacoustics.com

asaa00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asaa00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2009 at 10:46am

Edited by asaa00 - 23 April 2009 at 10:49am
asaa00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asaa00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2009 at 10:50am
when you say the kontrol1 was not recognized, you mean the OS did absolutely NOTHING when you plugged it in?
minaximal View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minaximal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2009 at 11:52am
Originally posted by asaa00 asaa00 wrote:

when you say the kontrol1 was not recognized, you mean the OS did absolutely NOTHING when you plugged it in?

yes, at the end of driver install, it asked you to plug it in, i would and i'd press ok, then it would say, plug it in again.. so never actually finding itOuch

i think maybe its a sh*t chipset i have and poor bios from dell, but will have to see when i try a friends couple of cards, in a hope to get something working on this glorified web surfer. 

www.metaacoustics.com

levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2009 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by minaximal minaximal wrote:

i have tried every ms os,

If stuff didnt work under Windows XP Professional SP3, its time to sell some hardware.

Works so good for me, I intend to completely skip Vista, and wait for Windows 7.

Only time I have had hardware issues with XP SP3, is with cards/components of questionable pedigree.
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
asaa00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asaa00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2009 at 12:09pm
you should try and install the drivers for the kontrol1 manually from device manager w/o the utility/installer.  i never use driver installers because they're sh*t

edit: point device manager to the director where the driver .inf's and .sys' are (whereever the installer extracted them to)

Edited by asaa00 - 23 April 2009 at 12:13pm
minaximal View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minaximal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2009 at 12:20pm

you should try and install the drivers for the kontrol1 manually from device manager w/o the utility/installer.  i never use driver installers because they're sh*t

hmm, thats interesting, i have taken back the knotrol1 now and have the emu 0404.

with regards to hardware and os, i really like win 7, esp if you turn of the sh*t like you have to with vista, and vista works really well when stripped down, but i used xp tablet ed, due to my touchscreen, after playing with a few win 7's i couldn't go back to xp! and the search function is great, just dont forget to turn off search indexing, to save your cpu's.

and maybe i will have to sell this tablet but i only just got it specifically to do audio measurements with small form factor!

www.metaacoustics.com

asaa00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asaa00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2009 at 9:28pm
did you try to install any chipset drivers? (if not, it might also be why firewire wasnt 100%)
minaximal View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minaximal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2009 at 9:43pm

did you try to install any chipset drivers? (if not, it might also be why firewire wasnt 100%)

yeh, i tried with and without updated chipset drivers on just about every OS.

www.metaacoustics.com

gv23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gv23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2009 at 9:41pm
i have been through very similar experiences with my lappy and two edirol interfaces. first i bought an fa-101, had audio drop out, glitch and generally behave very nastily. after a lot of forum searching and alike i thought it must be the firewire chipset in my acer laptop...... so i thought i would buy the UA-101 to sort (being that its usb i thought that would do it............. i improved things, but by no means solved them, couldnt get latency down anywhere near where i should without getting clicks and pops... meanwhile m-audio interfaces work fine with this laptop, and my edirol gear works fine with my desktop.

All i have to do is open up the edirol device and dpc spikes start appearing (don't even need to stream audio)... i put it down to crappy drivers written by the vendor but have never resolved it, have now put a desktop pc in a rackmount box and banished the laptop to surfing the net.

bloody computer hardware conflicts are all too often, when i think of all the money i have spen i realise that Macs arent so expensive after all.
 Post Reply Post Reply