Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JBL K-120

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JBL K-120
    Posted: 01 May 2009 at 11:47am
Don't know too much about these drivers but can anyone tell me are they any good for midrange in a 2way tops/mid section ? Ermm
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2009 at 12:37pm
The K120 was originally intended as a guitar speaker....it is very efficient,but may be a little harsh as a mid driver,the correct JBL 12inch mid was the 2202.
Remember the  K120 is only rated at 100watts.

Be seeing you.
godathunder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godathunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2009 at 2:14pm
in fairness ian, the power handling is very conservatively rated. Ive run k140s (rated at 150w rms/300w program) off a crest p8001 (one 8ohm per channel) peaking at -3db (approx 400w) for days with no issues
LOUDER THAN LOUD
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2009 at 2:18pm
It is indeed very effective, but it only does what the specs say. If you try to push it just a little harder you'll notice it immediately (specially frequency wise!). I've banned mine to be used as home monitor, for the neat sounds at low power levels, but if you are going for clean sound any way, there are much better options. it's good for its application, but even then there are better ones.
Best regards,
Teun.
shadow1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2009 at 2:51pm
So what model is the JBL driver with an aluminium cone thats good as a mid driver ?
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2009 at 2:57pm
Well first off, i don't like the jbl alu domes at all, but if you have some jbl's, i would definitely use e-series because of there enhanced power. Also the e-140 gives a lovely tight bass.
Best regards,
Teun.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2009 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by shadow1 shadow1 wrote:

So what model is the JBL driver with an aluminium cone thats good as a mid driver ?

None...the Ally dome drivers are either the K or later E series.the later E120 is even louder and more strident than the K120 it replaced....although i have seen this used as a mid driver,its not ideal.

As i previously said,the correct 12"mid driver is the 2202,it had a black card dome,not an alluminium...this is the one you should be using.
Be seeing you.
shadow1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2009 at 9:20am
OK, can you tell me would the 2206 hpl make a good mid driver taking into account what you've said above ? (2206 hpl 12" 600w)
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2009 at 9:29am
Again,No. the 2206 isnt a mid driver,its a 12"bass driver....the efficiency is to low for a mid,it works better as the bass driver in a compact 2-way ported cabinet.

If you want a reasonably priced 12" mid,try the B&C 12pe32.
Be seeing you.
Glenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2009 at 3:54pm
JBLman,
When you say the 2202 is the best 12" for mid I assume you don't mean for a semi-fullrange reflex two-way. What would be best JBL in this case? (mid bass driver, but still with decent mids)

What would be best for midbass in 15" JBL?

Thanks!

Edited by Glenn - 16 May 2009 at 4:01pm
ychole audio View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ychole audio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2009 at 7:07pm
   Jbl E130 in the right box would give you nice warm and smooth low mid sound and the efficiency would be outstanding....LOUD!!
I am ZERIEL'S dad!!!
Glenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2009 at 3:14am
OK thanks,
By the specs the e140 has more bottom end for midbass, but maybe the mids aren't so smooth therefore your recommendation of the e130.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>