Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mac Software

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Quantum Sounds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quantum Sounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mac Software
    Posted: 29 May 2009 at 8:18pm

1. ** Outlook ** --    is f**king awfull can see how you use it
2. Microsoft Office,  ---   you can get office for mac, easly "found" on net as well
3. Kaspersky Net security 2009 ---   a lot less vireses for mac's, but there are a few can remember the one i used, but i my geek told me just not to have one
6. PowerDVD   ----  vlc, or quick time
7. Windows Media Player  ---- depends wat for COG is a good music program, vlc for mac is much better and will play everything
8. DVD Decrypter/DVD Fab    ----     osx dose most of theis for you
9. Nero 6 Ultra    ----     osx dose most of theis for you

vm ware lets you run windows in osx for all thos other thinks like hornres ect

but imo it is not worth the hassle, osx is a ceat and is only designed to work on a very limited range of hard ware, thats why it's so stabel by putting it on a diferent pc with a hack removeds alot of the advantages i would say get linix ubuto very good os and the same as above is true of this, divers can be an issue, burt this is true of osx

oh and if you always have the net, i assume if its a decktop, google doc's is he way, nice easy to use and is backed up of the net every few seconds so no chance of loosing work Smile

Edited by Quantum Sounds - 29 May 2009 at 8:21pm
subbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2009 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

Enough of the Mac PC Comparison, some info on Mac software/hardware would be interesting for a change.

On my PC, Killer Apps are,

1. ** Outlook ** Entourage
2. Microsoft Office Same again
3. Kaspersky Net security 2009 LOL
4. Visual Studio Enterprise xcode
5. Windows Live Messenger adium
6. PowerDVD VLC / dvd player
7. Windows Media Player VLC
8. DVD Decrypter/DVD Fab Mactheripper
9. Nero 6 Ultra uhh
10. Hornresp :\
11. FarCry/NFS uhh
12.Sisoft Sandra/CPUZ uhh

So, if I were to hack OSX onto my PC hardware, what do I do for the above?

PS:I would want Microsoft Office, and no substitute.

Best thing is, out of the above you only need to pay for m$ office :)
Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2009 at 4:27pm
lol
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2009 at 4:15pm
Regarding installing OSX onto PC hardware.. Funny.. LOL

http://tgrounds.blogspot.com/2009/04/leopard-os-x-1056-on-your-pc.html

Preparations:

In order to install Leopard, you first need to get the Leopard OSX86 installation disk. Now, the legality of this is somewhat questionable. The general consensus is that there are three ways to go about this, and I will order them in the most painful to least painful:
  • Become an Apple developer. After several years or decades of convincing Apple Corp. that it would be a great idea to open up their kick ass operating system to the public for use on PC's, you can probably install the now defunct and outdated leopard onto your PC free of legal worries.
  • Buy a Leopard License, and then go and download Leopard from one of a plethora of Torrent websites. So that way at least your giving your money for a Leopard license and choosing to use it on a computer. Even though the license agreement specifically states that you cannot use OS X on anything but apple hardware. Oh well, it happens.
  • Who cares, just download it. This is the most common method, and also the least legal.

Edited by levyte357 - 24 May 2009 at 4:20pm
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
SteveAATW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveAATW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2009 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

Enough of the Mac PC Comparison, some info on Mac software/hardware would be interesting for a change.

On my PC, Killer Apps are,

1. ** Outlook ** - You'll struggle, it's the main thing the mac is missing. Mail is ok and great for imap accounts compared to outlook but you'll have to use ical and address book for calendering and contacts, there's no integrated app that does it. MS Entourage and Thunderbird are both crocks of sh*te
2. Microsoft Office - MS Office 2008
3. Kaspersky Net security 2009 - clam x av
4. Visual Studio Enterprise  - xcode, you won't be building windows binaries on it though
5. Windows Live Messenger - MSN Messenger for OS X
6. PowerDVD - Use OS X DVD Player
7. Windows Media Player - iTunes or VLC, either blows WMP outta the water on the Mac
8. DVD Decrypter/DVD Fab - MacTheRipper + ffmpegx
9. Nero 6 Ultra - Toast
10. Hornresp - VMWare Fusion or Bootcamp
11. FarCry/NFS - Bootcamp will be only option
12.Sisoft Sandra/CPUZ - Inbuilt tools will do the trick - it's built on BSD so if you know your way around Unix you should have no issues, there's GUIs for things like ps that provide far more info than the command line verion

So, if I were to hack OSX onto my PC hardware, what do I do for the above?

PS:I would want Microsoft Office, and no substitute.

See above
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2009 at 3:42pm
Toast
It's everything, not everythink!
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2009 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by illuminate illuminate wrote:

Most of the Mac users I know have passionately hate Microsoft (for no real reason) so use OpenOffice [freeware] or are deliberately obtuse and use something Mac specific.

Being a UNIX Developer, I grew outof Micro$oft hate ages ago. Especially as Word, Outlook,Excel do a nice job of generating Invoices/Timesheets and emailing them to agents. Embarrassed

Originally posted by illuminate illuminate wrote:

Norton do Internet Security for Macs.

I can personally say installing the above is equivalent to knowingly installing worms/viruses on your PC.

So what's the Top Media player/DVD Burning tool for OSX?

"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2009 at 11:50am
soon as that handbags appears, im outta here. LOL

Sheggy View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2009 at 11:45am
Oh dear Saul, you've done it now. I fear the pink handbag will swinging soon.

But ... you can't knock the software that comes with OSX can you? - means that your new computer will work out of the box and not with annoying 30 day trial packages. The only preference I have for Mac and PC software packages is for specific applications; for example, I prefer Canvas on the Mac to Illustrator on the PC (but often which one I use depends on which computer I'm sitting in front of at the time). Music software is a different thing: Mac for music because of the hardware and because that's what I've always used (most of us went from the Atari to Cubase on the Mac then to DP/ProTools and some Logic before PCs were a viable option). I still use a dedicated Mac running OS9 with a wave editing program that is the only one that can do SCSI transfers to vintage samplers (8/12 bit etc). This old package from 1993 is beyond value to me.

S

cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2009 at 11:39am
i've only ever tried wine with speaker stuff. hornresp, winisd etc. haven't ever had hornresp work properly with it.. nearly though. winisd works fine.

haven't had any need to try anything else with it really though.

on linux.
Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2009 at 11:36am
never heard of it - is it freeware? Ive never liked the idea of using windows along side osx, so i have a partitioned hd and use bootcamp. 
illuminate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illuminate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2009 at 11:34am
Anyone tried using "Wine" to run Windows software on a Linux/Mac/Solaris?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>