Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ES18-BPH

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 35>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Symzzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2009 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by SwenK SwenK wrote:

I am aware of the HD15/X1 combination for house and the HD meaning hard dance, but th HD15 won't be much cop in pairs under a 12" for bands, whereas a usb/es18 will.

Have you tried them? We regularly run an HD215 or 3 HD's a side with a community SLS920 on top for smaller band work, personally i think they do the job very well, hi-passed at 48Hz.
I suppose it depends on what sort of bands you'll be working with, if you need the extra low end for electronic instruments or bigger productions or such like then you'll benefit from an 18" design. Certainly don't be labelling the HD15's as "not much cop" though..
Father-Francis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2009 at 7:31am
You mean apart from the recommended celestion one?

Yes man apart from that LOLSmile
Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk
Buffmarley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buffmarley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2009 at 7:50am
we've been using a pd185 in 4 of our es18s, coupled together they can perform sub but not as efficient as longer horn mouthed cabs + very short in terms of throw

Father-Francis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2009 at 8:04am
Originally posted by Buffmarley Buffmarley wrote:

we've been using a pd185 in 4 of our es18s, coupled together they can perform sub but not as efficient as longer horn mouthed cabs + very short in terms of throw

that should be good for small to medium size halls ,livebands 4 on each size , or just 2* 218Es18-bph

Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk
mashgwan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mashgwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2009 at 8:25am
buff marley, out of intrest what do you cross yours over as we run 4 as bass under some double 10"
but we have recently blew one up, cone ripped but the voice coil was fine

we run them 40hz to 250hz
SwenK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SwenK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2009 at 11:55am
Hi all,

some really helpful comments,

I notice that several people are discussing the USB and ES18 as if they are the same box, from my understanding, although the design is very similar, they sound very different, usb covering a much narrower frequency band and really only being suitable as a kick bin? (with immense attack)

ES18 is more of a general purpose box, that can be used for kick, but was intended to be used on its own? (with less attack) (perhaps even as a poor mans f118)

Is my understanding correct?

As for drivers in the USB/ES18, i read on here that the USB is absolutely best with the intended driver and that it is fairly reliable in this design, the es18 on the other hand i've not heard much about? Given the limited availability of P.audio drivers atm, any others would be helpful.

Thanks for the info on the HD15's for band work, tbh i've never tried 15"s for low end(in any design), as a lot of my tops have 15"s in them anyway,  (15+6.5+1).

cheers

s.

It's an artistic piece...but i like it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buffmarley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2009 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by mashgwan mashgwan wrote:

buff marley, out of intrest what do you cross yours over as we run 4 as bass under some double 10"

Normally 31 band eq it from 30 - 250 and let the 12s pick them up from there, as the dude above said, perfect for small to medium sized halls, + band work which we will be keeping these cabs for that purpose.

Why do people build ES-218's? Its just the same to build 2 and couple the horn mouths together minus 18mm difference.

@ others what you got in your es18s and what do you x-them over at?

Regards
Buff

kallabungo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kallabungo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2009 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by Buffmarley Buffmarley wrote:

Originally posted by mashgwan mashgwan wrote:

Normally 31 band eq it from 30 - 250 and let the 12s pick them up from there, as the dude above said, perfect for small to medium sized halls, + band work which we will be keeping these cabs for that purpose.

Why do people build ES-218's? Its just the same to build 2 and couple the horn mouths together minus 18mm difference.

@ others what you got in your es18s and what do you x-them over at?

Regards
Buff

The crossover is actually set from 20 (although hardly reached) up to 200hz you have to remember we are underpowering our drivers though...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buffmarley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2009 at 3:40pm
severly!

cheers stu

mashgwan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mashgwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2009 at 8:31am
i would bump the cross over up from 20hz, especially when you run full power through them, how much power are you running through them as they only really come into life when they have full power running through them
kallabungo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kallabungo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2009 at 8:54am
Yeah i know exactly what you mean, the thing is that there is two of them being run in 4 ohm bridged off a peavey 26! Embarrassed then the same again for the other 2...

20hz is hardly reached in tracks and that anyway so it wont see the range that often if at all but it does give the driver the flexibility of being able in certain circumstances to drop real low without a noticable cut where if you were using the crossover at say 30 - 35 hz is more noticable.

Once we have more amp power i'll be making adjustments though.
mashgwan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mashgwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2009 at 11:30am
how many watts does a peavy 26 run??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 35>