Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ES18-BPH

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 35>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2009 at 6:06pm
ES18-BPH
Built two recently. Modded the OTT mouth bracing to be simpler.
Fired one up in anger last night with an old Fane Studio Collosus 4" coil single suspension 400w driver. Gave it about 500w of modern house stuff.
 Pressure levels in front of the cab were amazing, sounded rich and warm 50hz up. Musical. Not one note ish.
 Very efficient cab that seems to be very forgiving of whatever driver it has.
 Was going to put some bigger drivers in to go on top of my 1850 minis, not going to bother, running them from 75hz up the 400w drivers will run at 600w happily.
It's everything, not everythink!
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2009 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by nickyburnell nickyburnell wrote:

ES18-BPH
Built two recently. Modded the OTT mouth bracing to be simpler.
Fired one up in anger last night with an old Fane Studio Collosus 4" coil single suspension 400w driver. Gave it about 500w of modern house stuff.
 Pressure levels in front of the cab were amazing, sounded rich and warm 50hz up. Musical. Not one note ish.
 Very efficient cab that seems to be very forgiving of whatever driver it has.
 Was going to put some bigger drivers in to go on top of my 1850 minis, not going to bother, running them from 75hz up the 400w drivers will run at 600w happily.

I have always wandered how to determine how much power will a 300W 12' take if high-passed at 100Hz and put in a reflex cab?
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2009 at 8:14pm
Well from experience as soon as you remove the sub considerably more.
Had some really old fane 2" coil dual concentrics years ago, 100w, flapped like a flag with bass, used them 150hz up as mids, two in a cab for ages, 4r cab used to get 300w all night.
 I recon 1/3 more is a good guess above 100hz in a reflex.
fuzzylogic View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fuzzylogic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2009 at 9:42pm
Double Fred... hats off to ya they look superb and I'm sure they sound as good to.
Now the question on everyones lips is not how do they compare to Funktion bins... but Void Stasys 8s??

NEIGHBOURHOOD SOUNDSYSTEM
Infinitely baffled.

Ibex View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ibex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 1:47pm
Hi there!
Can someone help me, I wanna know if a delay of the horn/port length is required in the case of the ES-18BPH?
greez
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 2:24pm
Yes.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 2:24pm
But you should delay your tops not the subs :-)
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
jethrocker View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jethrocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 4:04pm
Unless your tops are for some reason loaded onto longer horns than the Es-18... Just to be pedantic... :)
Ibex View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 8:27pm
Thanks guys!
Why certainly, the tops have to be delayed... Wink
...only the path length of the horn/port or including the distance from the troat to the driver?
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 9:28pm
BP just reminded me, we should wire these out of phase?
Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 9:49pm
yeah i reckon so as the driver is loaded in backwards. 
Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2009 at 2:18am
just read thru this thread and really think these bins could be something special in big pile. Say a pile of 12, running up to 140hz and then some MT122(or similar) taking over from there. Surely a massive pile would go fairly low - say 35-40 ish? 

I'm also intregued to know how they sound for live work. imagine with a pile of 6 or so either side of a stage could be incredible. Huge efficiency, small managable cab size, and simple and easy to build. Much easier than 1850 horn which only has 1 more dB on the sensitivity and they go as low as each other. I had a set of 4 1850 horns, but always thought they sounded a bit brutish and were a bit of a one note air moving machine, which is not what i want to hear when i want a band to sound clean and crisp. 

Someone experiment please Thumbs Up.  Im looking at a new set of bins to build for live band work, and if i can build a dead easy cab like this, rather than puns or something, then its got to be a winner. 

(i do have an "in progress" custom design of my own mind....)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 35>