Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

speaker delay?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sheffield-junglist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2009 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by doober doober wrote:

The upper end would be out because these frequencies are coming direct from the driver, not through several feet of horn like the low frequencies do. The low frequencies are therefore delayed compared to the upper frequencies. This is what gives a scoop its distinctive sound.

Ohhh aye, I did know that the sound is slightly phased on scoops but I never thought that the high frequencies won't make it through the horn. It makes sense though!

I'm determined to learn everything about scoops... Thats the task I've set myself over the  past few days since I've been ill just sat on here all day. I have learnt a hell of a lot as well.

Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2009 at 10:35am
because its around these freq where the sound is directly radiated (more like 90hz actually), rather thn through the horn path. 

so you either delay for the high or low freq..
john binary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john binary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2009 at 11:32am
what kind of delays do people use on their HD15 and X1's i use a 200mm delay on the x1's and reverse the phase 
BIG AUDIO ROCKING THE VENUE
FarmerWardy View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerWardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2009 at 11:51am

UnKnOwN Soundsystem
Void, Turbosound, Thunderridge
Bristol, UK
arena.lsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arena.lsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2009 at 6:47pm
distance devided by speed of sound then multiply by 1000
will give you the ms 
arena.lsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arena.lsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2009 at 6:50pm

distance in metres

Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2009 at 10:58pm
You can't just guesstimate/measure the horn length and base the delay on the path difference. The combined acoustic and electronic response of each frequency range acts as a bandpass filter with its own phase response. You need to measure the devices under test to determine the delay required. A Behringer measurement mic is cheap and most software can be downloaded as a trial. Measuring will also let you get the best out of a digital crossover by tweaking the frequency response of each frequency range.
keilamym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keilamym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 9:20pm
wow.. its been a while since i asked this question.. i should have monitored it better..

the reason i asked the question was because i had a gig coming up (just passed this weekend) and wanted to us my scoops with my double 18s... i chickened out and just took 8 double 18s... bass was bananas but scoops or horn type cabinets would have carried farther to my liking....

i'll read the comments and i'll probably be asking a series of question on how to better my system performance in the coming weeks... 3 way vs. 2 way, dual 15s midtop vs single 15s.. etc.

thanks again for everyones comments
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12