Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin Atomic 3000 Fault

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SwenK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Martin Atomic 3000 Fault
    Posted: 09 June 2009 at 5:06pm
Hi all

I have an Atomic 3k on a rig, doesn't repsond to dmx and flashes randomly no matter what i do with the dips,

guessing it is a dead dmx reciever board....is this a seperate part in the atomic or is there just one large insane board that does all the HT/LV and SELV?

Any info and suggested suplliers of parts would be most welcome,

cheers

s.
It's an artistic piece...but i like it
axeman91 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axeman91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2009 at 6:30pm
Have you tried reversing the polarity of the DMX input?  If I remember correctly, Martin liked to phase invert all their gear from the regular convention
SwenK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SwenK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2009 at 8:23pm
Hi
thanks, that went out several years ago,
all products since the mac 250 have been the right way round,
but good shout
s.
illuminate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illuminate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2009 at 1:01am
It is all one PCB if I remember rightly. Have you checked the obvious i.e. is it getting good DMX?
Sound is analogue, get over it!
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2009 at 8:15am
I have the schematic somewhere if you need it.  It's all on one surface mount board but they're not too tricky to work on.
SwenK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SwenK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2009 at 11:14am
Illuminate,
I haven't scoped the line, bt its mid chain and everything after it is happy, channels above and below are all happy too
, i had a suspicion it might have been reflections in the unterminated line affecting just those channels. (obviously i tried it on different channels to dis-prove this.

I have not tried it connected directly to the desk to see if the same fault persists, this is the next obvious step, i'll take down 20m of dmx cable and patch it direct.

back in there on friday, so i'll have a proper play

thanks

s.
SwenK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SwenK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2009 at 11:28am
Ceharden, that would be awesome!

I am fully experienced in hand building smt stuff, so i could potentially just replace the knackerd ICs if i can trace them well enough.

thanks
s.
illuminate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illuminate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2009 at 12:28pm
Best to try running the unit on it's own directly from the desk to see if you still get the fault. Is the DMX terminated?
Sound is analogue, get over it!
simonp1100 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonp1100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2009 at 3:58pm
If there is a fault on the main PCB board, i can repair it. Repaired a lot of the Martin Atomics, and have all the circuit diagrams & mods. PM if you need it looked at. Simon
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2009 at 5:20pm
Do you do other Martin boards?  I've got an Ego 03 board thats been dead ages - £185 for a new board simply isn't worth it!
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
simonp1100 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonp1100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2009 at 5:39pm
I have repaired one or two, but the main problem with them is that the board is a four layered PCB board & the usual fault is around by the SMPS voltage adjuster circuit. When the board blows, it also blows a track between the layers of the PCB (which is near impossible to repair). So that is why i have choosen not to repair any more of the ego PCB's. Sorry. I think also this is why Martin has discontinued them as well.
Nigey-C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigey-C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2009 at 3:05pm
had a similar problem with an atomic in a club i used to work at...
both atomics went down with the same fault... said it was receiving DMX wen nothing was plugged into it... and wouldnt respond to anything... and one would randomly go onto blinder mode and trip things out.... sent em both back to martin and got them back 2 weeks later after they replaced the main PCB
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>