Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

car drivers in pa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUDIO HABIT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: car drivers in pa
    Posted: 21 June 2009 at 4:47pm
i was just wondering what the difference was between a car sub and a pa sub,
car sub's you can get like 1,000,000 wats for a tener even at 4 ohm,s so why dont people use them

i am being thick?Confused  

Edited by AUDIO HABIT - 21 June 2009 at 6:23pm
https://www.facebook.com/fxstageproductions
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2009 at 6:12pm
Yes, I do believe you are.

Efficiency, good sir.
Away on extended leave.
Symzzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Symzzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2009 at 6:24pm
The difference is in the sensitivity of the drivers. Most, if not all of the 'high-power' car subs range from low 80's to low 90's (sensitivity 1w@1m), whereas PA drivers tend to be higher in the mid-high 90's.

This means the low sensitivity 'car' drivers require many times more input power to reach the same level of output as a more sensitive PA driver, as every 3dB increase is equivalent to a doubling of input power.

Example:

a driver of 90dB sensitivity @1w1m requires ~1000w to produce a level of 120dB

a driver of 93dB sensitivity @1w1m requires ~500w to produce a level of 120dB

a driver of 100dB sensitivity @1w1m requires only ~100w to produce a level of 120dB

and so forth. I think. Trying to brush up my maths concerning these sort of calculations at present so i may be a bit wrong with the example but the principle is there.

Car subs also usually give their 'power' ratings as peak values, as the bigger number looks much more impressive to the consumer than the continuous power handling.
AUDIO HABIT View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUDIO HABIT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2009 at 6:26pm

Thank you!! any chance you could tell me why? i just want to know the difference please 

AUDIO HABIT View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUDIO HABIT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2009 at 6:27pm
you just told me thank you
Lord Baccus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Baccus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2009 at 10:21pm
okokok be fair here if i hook up 2- 3000watt amps to a PA Sub that is 93 or higher will i cook the coil...???!!!???
those of us that have Heim Engines could care less about gas mileage...
if i cook the coil what good is the sub !!!Disapprove
Thank You for having a Nice Day
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2009 at 10:26pm
Baccus you need to forget all about watts and concentrate on efficiency.  Like I (and numerous others) stated in one similar thread earlier, it is all down to how much electricity is available and how much user wants to haul around amps, cabling and cabs.

On the pro side we are not searching for extreme limits in power handling every time we take gear out, it is more down to how much noise is required, how much electricity is available and how much spl can be achieved from the electricity available.

Edited by pfly - 21 June 2009 at 10:28pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Baccus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2009 at 1:46am
in the car audio world when you have a Sub that is efficent and you try to use it for SPL competitions the coils cook / turn black / and lock up in the motors...
the only time an effecient sub is a good thing is when your doing SQ... and need to add a lil bass with a lil sub and a lil amp...
i understand Supply & demand, thats why we add Massive batterybanks & Altenators & Voltage contorlers like MLA ( Missing Link Audio ) to bump up the voltage from 14.4/13.8 tooo 15.6/14.7 :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Baccus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2009 at 1:51am
and dose'nt the effeciency of the Enclosure play a HUGE part in how the Sub reacts to the amount of power given to it ???
like lets say i have a Horn loaded enclosure in my Explorer would i be better off with an X1 enclosure ? or a standard Bass reflex enclosure ?

Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2009 at 11:15am
tbh you'd be better searching the forum cos its been said before...

you have three things to compromise in a bass cab: size, bass extention and efficiency.

In PA we might want the cab to be efficient and drop low, we must compromise size.
In car audio they want it to drop low and be small, so they compromise on efficiancy.

For a driver to play low in a small enclosure it has to have a heavy cone, this makes it inefficient

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Baccus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2009 at 3:43pm
Ahh Haa now were getting somewhere :)
you are soooo Correct as all of the subs i have owned have really Heave cones, and that takes POWER too move them ! i am experimenting with LARGE Enclosures as i have a Horn with an 18" in the Ford Explorer... it's Aprox/8cf^3ft  Throught tapers from 5.22" to 9.44" where it makes turn and widens to 11.66"
and has this sub in there
i am wanting to build an X1 cab for the Ford Explorer and see how that works...
i have allways been told that PA enclosures wont work in a car/truck/Suv but after loading the Horn in there i dont believe them anymore >:)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Baccus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2009 at 2:19am
i copied this from my friend John Pierce:

Many ( but not all) of the PA drivers achieve high efficiency using a very light and short voice coil. Your efficiency is good as long as you still have coil windings in the gap. A car sub with a lower efficiency may get louder overall with a much higher xmax than a efficient low xmax PA driver.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>