Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stuff from the early days!!! - Roger Squires.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 43>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mhamplification Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2009 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by GregM GregM wrote:

Oh wow - I somehow(?), accidentally, stunbled across this forum through a link from ebay, and am absolutlely chuffed!, my saturday evening was spent in a flashback emotional mode.......

There was me meandering through life thinking my secret stash of 'history' ancient Squire catalogues (oh the hours I spent wandering the Squire 'house' in North London), TK Discosound, Pulsar (again, wandering about Cerebrum Lighting in SW London), Citronic, Newnam audio, FAL, Optikinetics, Fane and many many more catalogues, etc was a dirty secret. 

Having joined the forum, I guess I need to prove myself as a valid member before I can scan and upload a whole heap more catalogues from the mid 70's through the 80's - as soon as I work out how, I will.

I've still got, and use, a Citronic Hawaii, and a near mint Iowa (as testament to Citronic's build quality, the Iowa has never ever let me down - it's even still got the original bulbs in the gooseneck lamps!), and I recently managed to nab one of the huge Discosound deck's off ebay - tho it needs some serious tlc.

Really really chuffed to have found this site.

Welcome to the site Greg
It would be great to see some more catalogues especially any Citronic ones   I have quite a collection
around 15 consoles and 40ish mixers   Just got a Avon II console of Ebay for £3 still with the amps in etc but no turntables

It might be a good idea to start a Citronic thread on the Golden Oldies heading
Please post some pics of your consoles    I did post some on the Mobile dj forum But most of the guys on there are more interested in hard drives and laptops !!!!!!!!!!!
Mhamplification View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mhamplification Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2009 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

Welcome to the forum Greg.

The Squires' showroom in Tuffnell park road (a converted 3-storey house,as you correctly say) was an alladins cave of disco goodies back then,along with disco supplies in Chadwell heath,and the really posh stuff in REW on the corner of Charring cross road and Tottenham court road.

Im glad someone else is still using the good old English Citronic consoles,i thought i was the only one!

I seem to remember a shop in East London or Kent that sold or made Glitter Systems  I brought a purple glitter one from there but cant remember the name of the shop or where it was

Another good shop was Disco Sales and Hire in Aldershot 
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2009 at 3:50pm
Glitter systems was made by disco supplies, chadwell heath. They're still in business, now called DJ empire.
100% Earth Moving Bass
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2009 at 4:32pm
I did phone and ask disco supplies (dj empire) twice for some Glitter systems photos to post on here,it was promised,but never arrived.Oh well.
Ok,back to the photos,more FAL this time.

Oooo,chrome-domes,disco-tastic!

Edited by jbl_man - 16 December 2009 at 4:35pm
Be seeing you.
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2009 at 5:10pm
Some of those cabs look real familiar, were any made by other companies (ie, Leslie)?
music is the message
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2009 at 5:34pm
Ok,a bit silly,but had to post this...where it all began for most of us,Roger Squires in Junction Road,London N19.

I wonder if the person living there now knows all the goodies and memories attached to his house?
Be seeing you.
GregM View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2009 at 9:41pm
Crikey, that suddenly looks real familiar - I remember it having a very very substantial soundproofed and steel lined door.

Guess I will have to dig out the camera at the weekend and snap a few pieces of kit.  I have to say I am sniggering, and strangely comforted at the fellow nerdiness, there's some here with dozens of PPX amps, mixers and consoles..... I thought I was weird with my mini stash of Pulsar kit (3 Modulators, 5 Rainbow strobe controllers (but only 4 strobes!) and a collection of zero3000 contollers.

Oh and while I think of it, I also got what seems to be a fairly unusual piece of Citronic lighting - a 19" rack mounting DC-8 lighting desk and four DP300 dimmer packs, seemingly designed to run Par56 cans.  Anybody know where I could get the kit properly serviced?
Remember, if you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question!
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2009 at 9:50pm

Crikey, that suddenly looks real familiar - I remember it having a very very substantial soundproofed and steel lined door.

Guess I will have to dig out the camera at the weekend and snap a few pieces of kit.  I have to say I am sniggering, and strangely comforted at the fellow nerdiness, there's some here with dozens of PPX amps, mixers and consoles..... I thought I was weird with my mini stash of Pulsar kit (3 Modulators, 5 Rainbow strobe controllers (but only 4 strobes!) and a collection of zero3000 contollers.

Oh and while I think of it, I also got what seems to be a fairly unusual piece of Citronic lighting - a 19" rack mounting DC-8 lighting desk and four DP300 dimmer packs, seemingly designed to run Par56 cans.  Anybody know where I could get the kit properly serviced?

I think I know the system your talking about, citronic did a lighting system late 70's early 80's but it didn't use pars, it had some kind of small square car spotlight thing with it? (like the things in car bumpers) it was very odd and flopped badly, I could of course be wrong but it was the only lighting system by them I remember?
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
GregM View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2009 at 9:56pm
[/QUOTE]

I think I know the system your talking about, citronic did a lighting system late 70's early 80's but it didn't use pars, it had some kind of small square car spotlight thing with it? (like the things in car bumpers) it was very odd and flopped badly, I could of course be wrong but it was the only lighting system by them I remember?
[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm, that sounds different to what I have - the dimmer packs are definitly designed for stand mounting and have IEC kettle leads, driving 300w/channel (hence the assumption they were for running Par56's.

Some thing else to take a few snaps of at the w/end.
Remember, if you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question!
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2009 at 12:51am
I have here a piece of kit that started my life long facination with all things speaker and disco! Back in the early 80's when I was a kid my dad did discos. He used this....

Its a Roger Squire MX507

Its seen much use over the years and a fair bit of the lettering has worn off the mixer.

Complete with funky pink Squire slipmats!

Its sat around the house not doing much for 20 years or so now. last time I powered it up it was still in full working order albeit with a few rustly controlls! Maybe on one of these cold dark evenings I might give it some TLC. Originally made for Squires by NJD I think.

Edited by GAZ. - 17 December 2009 at 12:56am
100% Earth Moving Bass
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2009 at 12:59am
Another old school gem I have here is this sound to light chaser. Its made by a company called LSE.

Again in full working order!

I have quite a few old sound and light goodies here, some of which I use to this day! I'll post up pictures if anyones interested.
100% Earth Moving Bass
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2009 at 5:04am

[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm, that sounds different to what I have - the dimmer packs are definitly designed for stand mounting and have IEC kettle leads, driving 300w/channel (hence the assumption they were for running Par56's.

Some thing else to take a few snaps of at the w/end.
[/QUOTE]

I think that is the one! the dimmer packs mounted on the top of the stands as you say and the lamps had a 300 halogen lamp in them very bright but crap light? hence the no takers? must be very rare now cos I don't think they sold many of them.
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 43>