Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stuff from the early days!!! - Roger Squires.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 43>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2009 at 3:22pm

Wouldn’t it be fascinating to see some old price lists. Seems like everything was expensive then or maybe we were all just broke at the time!

it's all just cardboard and magnets really
Mhamplification View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mhamplification Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2009 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by GregM GregM wrote:

Crikey, that suddenly looks real familiar - I remember it having a very very substantial soundproofed and steel lined door.

Guess I will have to dig out the camera at the weekend and snap a few pieces of kit.  I have to say I am sniggering, and strangely comforted at the fellow nerdiness, there's some here with dozens of PPX amps, mixers and consoles..... I thought I was weird with my mini stash of Pulsar kit (3 Modulators, 5 Rainbow strobe controllers (but only 4 strobes!) and a collection of zero3000 contollers.

Oh and while I think of it, I also got what seems to be a fairly unusual piece of Citronic lighting - a 19" rack mounting DC-8 lighting desk and four DP300 dimmer packs, seemingly designed to run Par56 cans.  Anybody know where I could get the kit properly serviced?
Here is s pic of the DC-8 dimmer desk  from  a Citronic handout
I have one somewhere but too cold to go out to the store to look for it

Yes it would be great to see some pics of Pulsar gear as well  I used to like the large Modulators
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mhamplification Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2009 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by Nachural Nachural wrote:

Wouldn’t it be fascinating to see some old price lists. Seems like everything was expensive then or maybe we were all just broke at the time!

Have a look on the Citronic page for some price lists
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2009 at 7:36pm
Thats a good point Nachural...Citronic prices back then...
Amps.
PPX 300  £499.00
PPX450 £679.00
PPX800  £819.00
PPX1200 £1109.00
PPX1600  £1349.00

Turntables..
Avon II as above was   £939
Tamar was also £939
Trent II with SL1200 decks and no amps was   £1650

I have an old HH price list,the S500d was £440.

I can remember buy two new JBL k140 15" in 1979,they were £140 each back then.The equivilant Gauss 4580 retailed at £178.
Be seeing you.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mhamplification Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2009 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by GAZ. GAZ. wrote:

Another old school gem I have here is this sound to light chaser. Its made by a company called LSE.

Again in full working order!

I have quite a few old sound and light goodies here, some of which I use to this day! I'll post up pictures if anyones interested.
Hi Gaz   Yes it would be great to see any pics of equipment you have
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2009 at 10:24pm
Heres some of my rig. To the left of the picture, 4 Disco supplies own make, Deep Bass 200's. Still going strong and sounding nice! Fane studio 15" and fane J105 horns. Also Hendy SP1's there on top of the W bins. I think Roger squires made the Hendy stuff.

100% Earth Moving Bass
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2009 at 11:39am

What are the w-bins Gaz?

Those Disco-supplies deep bass cabs were also made in white as well,loads of pubs and small clubs in london.essex and kent had those installed in the 1980's.
Photo of Froggy taken at Disco supplies circa early 80's...you can see their white cabinets in the background.
Be seeing you.
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2009 at 7:59pm
I made those W bins from the fane plans. They have fane colossus in them, I think I put up build pictures on here a while ago.

One pair of my Deep Bass 200's were white, but someone had sprayed them black with a spray can and they looked rubbish,so I recovered them with some new black vinyl cloth the same pattern as the original.
My dad says that they were availible in orange as well as black and white. I wonder if theres still any of these Deep Bass speakers around? I wouldnt mind a few more! Acording to Dad, there was 3 models of these 100,200,and 300.
100% Earth Moving Bass
mrflibble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrflibble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2009 at 6:16pm

Squire XL100 speakers that I use in the garage, 12" bass mid and a piezo tweeter.  Quite well made but dont really sound too great!

GregM View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2009 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by mrflibble mrflibble wrote:

Squire XL100 speakers that I use in the garage, 12" bass mid and a piezo tweeter.  Quite well made but dont really sound too great!

Mrflibble - nice to see them, thanks, and I agree, not the greatest of sound quality, but they did/do the job eh?

Q: - what's straddling across the top of them?

Greg
Remember, if you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question!
mrflibble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrflibble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2009 at 10:39pm
Greg,

The console on the top is a Linearsound Tornado, see pic below. 

100w mono amp and those awful plastic BSR turntables.

GregM View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2009 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by mrflibble mrflibble wrote:

Greg,

The console on the top is a Linearsound Tornado, see pic below. 

100w mono amp and those awful plastic BSR turntables.

Big smile oh, wow, now that really is a classic piece of kit - and it looks to be in tip top condition.

Seriously, thanks for sharing - I've always loved the old skool kit, digital stuff just doesn't have the charisma........ tho the BSR's are having me snigger a tad.

Greg
Remember, if you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 43>