FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turbomax Reflex - It begins...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
luton_soundman View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luton_soundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turbomax Reflex - It begins...
    Posted: 05 March 2018 at 6:05pm
Sorry to revive an old thread... but how many others have gone reflex for tmax 1000i? I have a pair of original 1000i on fane chassis, normally i would put them in scoops but ive got too many other drivers for that. So, thinking about a pair of reflex for them. Would be used on sub i should add, not upper bass/kick/low mid as some call it. I van look at the specs etc but always good listening to peoples real world experiences too.
Sound Hire/Sales new/used equipment.
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2014 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by Timebomb Timebomb wrote:

You can set WinISD to display excursion as peak or RMS excursion, id set it to peak as thats your worst case and you measure xmax as a peak value anyway.  Like Ceharden says i wouldn't worry if it gos over a tad, are you inputting real xmax? (coil length-gap height/2) or adding 1/4 of the gap height?, or using a different meathod?  If your using real xmax you should be fine with that sim of the fane. 

You can do a rough impedance plot with 2 multi meters and a sine tone generator/ pc program / rogs test cd.  Run a sine signal into the cab, keep voltage from the amp constant and mesure current drawn by the speaker, then repeat at difference frequencys, calcluate the impedance at a frequency (voltage/current), then plot it on a graph and you have an impedance plot to compare to the simmed one on WinISD.  Thats the best way of measureing the tuning of a cab, and how the port is being lengthnd.

I just realised thisLOL Ive simmed the jobst lbb118 in winisd and was a bit worried if I can give them full 500watts. Had the cone excursion at peak and it was 1mm over xmax,changed it to rms and its well under the line at 500w.
"what!?"
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2009 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by SteveAATW SteveAATW wrote:

What's the dip all about?

The dip is power compression. That usually occurs when you are feeding the driver too much power and/or, the cabinet is tuned too low.

You cannot estimate the TS Parameters either. Try to find someone that has the proper numbers.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 13 July 2009 at 10:02pm
Elliot Thompson
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2009 at 9:59pm
You can set WinISD to display excursion as peak or RMS excursion, id set it to peak as thats your worst case and you measure xmax as a peak value anyway.  Like Ceharden says i wouldn't worry if it gos over a tad, are you inputting real xmax? (coil length-gap height/2) or adding 1/4 of the gap height?, or using a different meathod?  If your using real xmax you should be fine with that sim of the fane. 

You can do a rough impedance plot with 2 multi meters and a sine tone generator/ pc program / rogs test cd.  Run a sine signal into the cab, keep voltage from the amp constant and mesure current drawn by the speaker, then repeat at difference frequencys, calcluate the impedance at a frequency (voltage/current), then plot it on a graph and you have an impedance plot to compare to the simmed one on WinISD.  Thats the best way of measureing the tuning of a cab, and how the port is being lengthnd.

James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
SteveAATW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveAATW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2009 at 7:12pm
I had a second set of panels cut and ready to go subject to testing the first one (let's face it, I was bound to cock at least part of it up), I'll try modifying the port length accordingly.

Much lower tuning than expected would explain it though - it didn't kick as hard as expected but went devastatingly low (was resonating 18mm MDF bar panelling 20 yards away) 
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2009 at 6:33pm
In the actual cab the port will be effectively extended.  Simulation software doesn't seem to take that into account very well.

When designing port lengths in WinISD I generally set the tuning up to 5Hz higher than I want it to be on the real cab.
SteveAATW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveAATW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2009 at 6:21pm
195L tuned to 39Hz iirc

Interestingly just put the Sub18 into Bassbox. The design claims 35Hz, Bassbox says 42.97Hz Confused Put the Q Sub in and Bassbox is claiming 45.6Hz (which is fairly near I think). Just wondering how far out the calculated is from the real for shelf/corner ports
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2009 at 5:38pm
I think WinISD calculates based on sine wave signals so the excursion is worst case.  I wouldn't worry too much unless the predicted excursion goes several mm over xmax at full power input.

In the above example,  the input power is on a linear scale, if you converted it to log (dB scale) then you'll find the dip is probably only 2dB or less.

What is the cabinet volume and port tuning for those plots?

SteveAATW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveAATW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2009 at 4:45pm
Sorry brain fart, forgot about the xmax issue on the 18XB LOL

The only thing it might be is the shelf port against the wall affecting the tuning to the extent that its very low and its starting to impact on the 30Hz region which will push the Turbomax towards xmax. Is there any definitive way of physically finding out the tuning, or of calculating the affect of putting the port shelf against the wall of the cab?
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2009 at 2:20am
Excursion peak above the port tuning, the max input power the cab is capable of taking is limited by the xmax of the driver in that frequency range.  It can take more power down low as the port is reducing excursion.

If you were using that driver id suggest a little boost and 40Hz and a cut at 54Hz, it would increase overall power handleing of the cab, or maybe even dial it in as a dynamic EQ on the DCX if you have one? ,  so it only kicks in at high power.

Edited by Timebomb - 12 July 2009 at 2:29am
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
Contour View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2009 at 10:38pm
Did you enter x-max data?

Best regards,

Walt
SteveAATW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveAATW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2009 at 10:21pm
Hmm, put the tuning into WinISD to double check it (used Bassbox for the main design), it came out near enough the same.

However one graph did make me wonder, this is the turbomax cab, and then the same cab with a 600W 18XB in.

What's the dip all about? And are the manually entered T/S parameters for the Turbomax missing some data in comparison to the 18XB?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>