Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turbomax Reflex - It begins...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveAATW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turbomax Reflex - It begins...
    Posted: 24 June 2009 at 2:33am
So been beavering away when time has allowed over recent weeks. Single ~200L reflex box, tuned to 39Hz designed for the Turbomax B1000 Mk2. Very similar to B&C Sub 18 with some bracing inspired by a manufacturer of black boxes that shall remain nameless. 

Cut all the panels, done the handles, speakon plate etc was just laying it out to see if it will all fit as intended. Will be putting it together soon, did final bit of gluing yesterday with gluing the baffle to the port shelf. The baffle is reinforced with a frame of 2x1 if your wondering - wasn't too confident in the strength of a single bit of 18mm MDF.

RiddimKid View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RiddimKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2009 at 2:38am
Its about time Clap
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2009 at 2:56am
Originally posted by RiddimKid RiddimKid wrote:

Its about time Clap

Yarp...

How about trying something really weird, like bridging a PLX across it ?Embarrassed
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
SteveAATW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveAATW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2009 at 3:05am
MC750 do ya?
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2009 at 3:10am
Originally posted by SteveAATW SteveAATW wrote:

MC750 do ya?

Suppose so...

But I heard about an interesting comparison the other day, between a PLX and MPX1200.

Wont reveal anything yet, in case I need to buy some before prices go up, just like they did with MPX for some strange reason.LOL
SteveAATW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveAATW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2009 at 3:18am
Haven't got a PLX handy sadly. Will be sticking few things across it though, Lab 1200, E25, MC750, T1500 and a CS2000H.

Be suprised about the PLX - binks amp tests showed the 1602 35% down on spec at 20Hz whereas the MX3000 was only 14% down on spec at 20Hz. Tis one of the baby models though I guess
SteveAATW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveAATW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 12:45am
The man from del monte says bass LOL

Not sure if I had it hitting full power as I didn't have the amp metered and the cone movement was slightly un-nerving to someone used to having the bass drivers tucked out of sight in horns so I may have backed off in driving it as hard as it may well go but man can this driver shift some air.

Was mainly testing it underneath Res 1's as the sub in a DJ booth, running bridged from an MC750 and the bass to top ratio was obscene and the R1's are not quiet by any stretch of the imagination. Not sure quite how high it goes as I didn't run on its own but it hits lovely warm rumbling lows and kicks like anything.

In comparison to when I was running the d&b Q subs underneath the Res 1's, the turbomax is insane.

Any ideas what I should be hi-passing at for these?
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 9:55am
Originally posted by SteveAATW SteveAATW wrote:

In comparison to when I was running the d&b Q subs underneath the Res 1's, the turbomax is insane.

Any ideas what I should be hi-passing at for these?

Its a mid'ish BL driver, and I guess your cab is not far off 200L, so I reckon 24db @ 35hz will keep his trousers on.

Also, if you can, xover between 80-100, to really keep it warm and deep. You'll probably get away with approx 1kW input like this, but may need 48db slope at each side for that.

PS:It is of the utmost priority you bridge one of the larger PLX/PLX2 chappies across a pair of your cabs.

You will be suprisingly impressed in a few areas. Wink

Edited by levyte357 - 06 July 2009 at 9:58am
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 10:32am
I know the bracing may look cool but it is a very inefficient way to do it. Much better to actually brace between the panels rather than at the edges.

Tony
shadow1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 10:43am
Very interested to hear the final out come.
Smile, the worst is yet to come.
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 11:36am

Originally posted by Tony Wilkes Tony Wilkes wrote:

I know the bracing may look cool but it is a very inefficient way to do it. Much better to actually brace between the panels rather than at the edges.

Tony

That would make matters worse considering how small the box is. Inefficiency only plays a factor if the designer did not take in account how much room is lost in the internal chamber.

The weakest link is always the panel in which the driver sits on and, the rear wall of the enclosure. Having an 18-inch driver placed on an 18 mm board with no means reinforcement will have the entire box dancing around the venue.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
SteveAATW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveAATW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by Tony Wilkes Tony Wilkes wrote:

Tony

Coolness had very little if anything to do with it (who see's them? LOL). May be me overly paranoid but with it being MDF you'd have to have cross braces touching 3 panels or you could in theory get a force on one panel pushing a brace through the panel on the other side. Braces to do that with the same strength as it is now would be bigger than the wedges I've used which brace each panel against the other and which once the box is completed forms a pretty rigid structure.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>