Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Q12 12" Sub

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2009 at 5:59pm

Really nice finish, it bloody tiny!

how many do you normally use? and for what kind of events?
I could do with a couple of of cabs similar to that i recon...

Edited by Jake_Fielder - 23 July 2009 at 6:00pm
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2009 at 6:29pm
Jake,

I built it really just to check the tuning alignment I had chosen. They will be used for the basis of some twin boxes which will be used for live bands for up to 150 pepes and also some disco use (cheesy wedding type).

I also have to build a pair for a local install as the customer wants a small profile system which will still sound good and have a fair kick to them. Used with my twin 8" mid-tops crossed at 180hz they really do sound very civilised indeed.

The only downside is the lack of efficiency and they need a high output amp to get the best out of them. They are quite happy on one of the new Matrix XP5000,s with the clip light just flashing so really you are looking at twice the continuous rating at  600w so 1200w / driver.

Tony

discodave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discodave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2009 at 9:28pm

bit of topic but what paint did u use on them is it aldcroft

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2009 at 8:36am
Originally posted by discodave discodave wrote:

bit of topic but what paint did u use on them is it aldcroft

Yep Aldcroft. First 2 coats thinned with 25% Water and then 5-6 coats applied thickly with a 4" foam roller.

The key is to apply thickly which helps eliminate the roller marks and also achieves  the textured finish.

Best done as well on a cool dampish day. It is slower drying but helps with the finish. Then allow a week for the paint to fully harden.

Tony

Edited by Tony Wilkes - 26 July 2009 at 8:38am
Unknown Enemy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unknown Enemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2009 at 6:28pm
I traveled up from Kent to meet up with Tony on Saturday afternoon (going to a party in Chesterfield that evening) to have a listen to this speaker (and a few others) in the cabs.

I was simply gob smacked by the output of bass and sub bass this 12" driver was putting out. Played a few tracks that I would use for mobile dj use and it played very well.

Hit the sub with some dubstep and boy did it sound nice. Big smile.

The single 12" sounded deeper than the two single 15" Tony was using. After to talking to Tony more about this, the single 12" goes around 5hz deeper than the single 15" h was using I believe?

Just thought I would share this. TongueBig smile

Big smile
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2009 at 9:11am
Hi Tom,

Glad you enjoyed the experience. Hope the rest of your day went well.

It was the first time that I had heard that box on the end of an XP5000 in a largish room giving out some serious levels and it was nice to confirm the simms. that it does indeed go deeper than the 15" ers.

The twin driver models I am set to build should actually give me the same output as the single 15", with the extension of an 18" but loosing none of the so called "fast bass".

For house party's etc. just stick a single 12" in a corner and stand back LOL

Tony

Edited by Tony Wilkes - 17 August 2009 at 9:13am
Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2009 at 11:50pm
I've been successfully using a cab almost identical to Tony's. I know that many here aren't happy unless their internal organs are being damaged by the bass, but for most low volume situations I am using just a single cabinet. I have also tried the drive unit in a 6th order bandpass which worked well too. The original ports (some plastic tubing I had lying around) were too small and I damaged the box trying to modify it, hence the bass reflex.

I've got a measured response plot around somewhere and I'll upload it if I get the chance. As Tony said it needs very little eq to get a flat response.

I originally built the cabinet to compliment a couple of bms 8" coax units but have since used them with my other mid-top cabinets. At the levels I am running at power has never been an issue but for those interested I've either used one side of a RMX1450 or Yamaha P7000.

a bit blurred but the amp gives an idea of the size.

The bandpass was slightly smaller than the reflex.
Unknown Enemy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unknown Enemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2009 at 1:27am
Originally posted by Tony Wilkes Tony Wilkes wrote:

Hi Tom,

Glad you enjoyed the experience. Hope the rest of your day went well.

It was the first time that I had heard that box on the end of an XP5000 in a largish room giving out some serious levels and it was nice to confirm the simms. that it does indeed go deeper than the 15" ers.

The twin driver models I am set to build should actually give me the same output as the single 15", with the extension of an 18" but loosing none of the so called "fast bass".

For house party's etc. just stick a single 12" in a corner and stand back LOL

Tony

Hey Tony, I loved it. Not so much of my fiancée but hey ho. lol.

We did go the way you said. WOW. Big smileBig smileBig smile

Still surprised by the power that little beast can chuck out. Can't wait to get three cabs made up now. lol.

Really like your tops. Looks like I have found a new whole system for me which is smaller and just as loud as what I am using now. lol
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2009 at 3:31am

[/QUOTE]

Hey Tony, I loved it. Not so much of my fiancée but hey ho. lol.

We did go the way you said. WOW. Big smileBig smileBig smile

Still surprised by the power that little beast can chuck out. Can't wait to get three cabs made up now. lol.

Really like your tops. Looks like I have found a new whole system for me which is smaller and just as loud as what I am using now. lol
[/QUOTE]

Tom you should have seen the faces of the blues band that turned up for the gig that evening, the keyboard player was especially distressed.

The bass player was a guy I knew from another band and said it looked like I had bought my little home hi-fi to use, cheeky bastard!!!!

Smiles all round when they had done the sound check, we had only 100 in the audience but the quality of vocals on those little twin 8" ers was simply amazing and even with DI'ed keys etc the system still had about 6db headroom available.

Tony
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2009 at 9:02am
Originally posted by Steve_B Steve_B wrote:

I've been successfully using a cab almost identical to Tony's. I know that many here aren't happy unless their internal organs are being damaged by the bass, but for most low volume situations I am using just a single cabinet. I have also tried the drive unit in a 6th order bandpass which worked well too.

Steve,

It was your comments to me about your smaller box that prompted me to try a different alignment for this driver. Originally I was going to stick them in some 60L boxes and go for bottom end but decided to forgo 10hz and get a bit more output.

Really pleased with the result, thank you for the prompt. Smile

Tony
mrchay View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrchay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2009 at 5:15pm
Been lurking here for a while - just wanted to post a massive thanks and respect:

A lot of people, including myself, end up with the idea that for good fun you need insanely large boxes - but you cant get these in your car, cant take them round a mates house on a whim on a saturday evening, cant turn up in the middle of the estate with them, cant offer their use or happily lend them out, etc.

With the police cutting so hard especially around london on proper parties, smaller gigs are the way to go, so smaller kit that properly cuts it is very cool.

Getting a fit for the purpose sound from a tiny system has to be the holy grail. This sub of yours is a spectacularly saleable piece, and you have done an amazing build and finish ( i know its an easy cab but i still see the details :-) ).

are you going to produce and sell these i wonder? an active version might be interesting......

Im looking at mini-tapped-horns / advanced reflex loading at the moment, but perhaps its not worth it and I should try to copy what you have done here... what do you think?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2009 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by mrchay mrchay wrote:

Getting a fit for the purpose sound from a tiny system has to be the holy grail. This sub of yours is a spectacularly saleable piece, and you have done an amazing build and finish ( i know its an easy cab but i still see the details :-) ).

are you going to produce and sell these i wonder? an active version might be interesting......

mrchay,  thank you for those kind words they really are appreciated.  Embarrassed

I do make a few of these boxes for sale and in fact I am just about to start a pair of the twin 12" units for a local install.

An active version with a 1000w digital amp. (B&O) would certainly be interesting. it could do some real damage as a home theatre sub.

Tony

p.s You are welcome to a copy of the drawing as a PDF but they really are optimised for a specific driver as noted. Just pm me your proper Email address.

Edited by Tony Wilkes - 20 August 2009 at 5:48pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>