Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Q12 12" Sub

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 13>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2011 at 4:41pm

and the finished job

hopefully it will  look better with a grill covering the poly glue disaster

Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2011 at 12:09pm
Kevin, how do you find the 12" jobby compared to the BP6 Mackie?

Tony
www.forteaudio.eu - BMS - db-Mark Processors - Lexon (SAE)
kevin tyler View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2011 at 12:29pm
hi Tony

i found the mackie thumpy but not really articulate, i havent had time yet to get in anywhere and really tweak the beyma boxes at a high level, but they seem to blend with the beyma 12" mid tops  quite well, so only time will tell,  being able to carry one in each hand and lose the speaker stands was a huge consideration to be honest, but i am more than happy with the sound so far, and the option of being able to hide the boxes under tables and other obstacles where you wouldnt be able to with a bigger box is marvelous too,

i need to get some grilles on them, i rolled up at a swanky bar last night, and you know that look when you walk in with all your gear?, well they were too busy clocking me, they didnt notice the huge cochroach that ran out the front  of my sub when i placed it on the stageEmbarrassed

not sure what the score is with that poly glue, the overall appearance of the finished job does not reflect the care i took with the build, it just seemed to froth up and end up all over the place.

hope you are well mate

cheers

kev
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2011 at 1:08pm
Kev,  I have found that not all PU glues are born equal.

I have been using some for a couple of years that is absolutely brilliant. It does foam as you say but the excess just simply trims away with a chisel to leave a really clean joint.

However with some that I have had from Screwfix and other places the extruded excess seems to remain tacky long after the joint has actually bonded and you either have to wait 24 hrs for it to completely dry and it is then a bitch to get off or you tackle it early and it gets everywhere.

The one thing that I have found with all of the PU glues is the ease with which it does sand off ready for painting etc.

Yes mate I am very well at the moment with plenty to do and keep me out of trouble.

How is your life in the Sun? A mate of mine that does the same type of thing as you reckons work has picked up the last 12 months after a tricky period following the big crash.

Tony

Edited by Tony Wilkes - 27 March 2011 at 1:13pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2011 at 10:58am
hi tony

i'm going to presume i had the  el screwfix glue thenLOLit was stuck to the hairs on my arms and everywhere, i tried to clean it with thinners but had to scrape it off in the end.

its not too bad here, the problem with the work is the bars and fooderies are trying to introduce a one price fits all policy, which stinks when you compare belting out tom jones and joe cocker at full belt with someone who transposes ub40 in to an even easier key that it was written in??

but its a nice life here so i mustnt complain

glad you are busy and well, will let you know how i get on with my projects.

cheers

kev
hopalong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hopalong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2011 at 8:47am
Tony, the 2x12 and 2x8+HF? system looks perfect for a small 3k PA and rehearsal room set up.
Can I get the designs for both please ??
Cheers, Rob. Wink

Actually the single 12 design would be better for the rehearsal room, so all 3 designs please Clap

Edited by hopalong - 07 April 2011 at 10:48am
http://www.myspace.com/tailendcharlieuk
hopalong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hopalong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2011 at 2:15pm
Thanks Tony. What drivers do you use in the 2x8+HF cabs ??
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2011 at 9:17am
Originally posted by Tony Wilkes Tony Wilkes wrote:

Kevin, how do you find the 12" jobby compared to the BP6 Mackie?

Tony
Hi Tony

took these out last night and give them a good wallop, i am very happy, with the beyma 12" tops above them, its the easiest get in ever for such a loud clear sound.

cheers

kev
GeorgeE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeorgeE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2011 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by Tony Wilkes Tony Wilkes wrote:

Kevin  Big smile  Yes I have been using them a while now. Similar output to a typical single 18" but in 70L. These are tuned like the single 12" @ 45hz and have a simmed -3db of 43hz. To use a hi-fi term they really have a slam to them. Have also done slightly bigger boxes of 45L per driver tuned to 38hz.

The simple system below has got more praise than anything that I have ever taken out. Embarrassed

Hey Tony, 

loving this little system...even though I'm late to the thread, haha
You wouldn't happen to have the plans for the top speaker would you?

Cheers,
George.
t.geessounds View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t.geessounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2011 at 1:44pm
ofcourse he have it lol
you should have ask "would u like to share????"
hopalong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hopalong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2011 at 2:00pm

Tony. would the Precision Devices 12S330 be a suitable alternative to the BMS for the single 12 sub ??
Trying to keep the cost down Wink
Cheers, Rob.

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2011 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by hopalong hopalong wrote:

Tony. would the Precision Devices 12S330 be a suitable alternative to the BMS for the single 12 sub ??
Trying to keep the cost down Wink
Cheers, Rob.

I presume you mean the 12SB30, no it is nothing like the BMS, the performance of this little cab is tied in directly with the recommended drivers.

Anyone wanting plans just PM your Email address.

Tony
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 13>