Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

re drilling 1850 baffle, help..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: re drilling 1850 baffle, help..
    Posted: 24 July 2009 at 6:33am
Hi

Does any1 have any pointers to make re drilling a baffle on 1850 cab from pd1850 to v18 as stress free as possible and any advise on the best filler to use??

thanks in advance

adam
stitchy View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stitchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2009 at 8:43am
hi mate i would use car body filler sets nice and hard P38 from halfords £6-7 others may use other fillers see what they also recommend

cheers stitchy
Father-Francis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2009 at 9:09am
Adam open the cab from the top, sand down remove screws , carefully .
thats what i´d do
Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk
luke_0301 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luke_0301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2009 at 9:30am
Originally posted by Father-Francis Father-Francis wrote:

Adam open the cab from the top, sand down remove screws , carefully .
thats what i´d do

only do this if it is marine ply! a friend tried this with his cabs made from 18mm wbp,and you will end up splitting the top as it comes off! if it was glued well enough that is! 
more bass please
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2009 at 9:47am
It's everything, not everythink!
biotec View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2009 at 10:08am
drilling the holes at the back of the chamber will be extremly difficult as you probably don't have a enough room to get a drill chuck in. Perhaps you could use one of those flexible drill shafts? I have never used one but they look useful if they work properly.

Francis's suggestion is best if you can do it without mullering the cab. Taking a crowbar to your pride and joy is always painfull. If the top doesn't come off without a fight when you have removed all the screws (including the brace), I would carefully cut along the joint using a plunge saw. Make sure that the saw blade thickness is in the end panel so that you can just replace the whole panel once it is off.
me so horny, me love you long throw.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2009 at 10:27am
Consider using clamps rather than bolting through the chassis perhaps.  Means you don't have to be quite so accurate with the hole positions.
Dom View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2009 at 10:57am
Or just use 1850 drivers...  A lot less hassle...
"It sounded like a million fire engines chasing ten million ambulances through a war zone and it was played at a volume that made the empty chair beside me bleed."
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2009 at 12:54pm
Whip the screws out the top and use a festool saw on a guide to slice the top off the cab, you loose 3.2mm of material which if you are good can be 0.2mm of cab and 3mm of lid, screw lid back on upside down and make good with P38....

Smile
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2009 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Dom Dom wrote:

Or just use 1850 drivers...  A lot less hassle...

Yes...

I have 2x of them for sale... LOL
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
AJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2009 at 2:28pm
Thanks for all of your suggestions, I don't really feel confident enough to start hacking the cabs apart my self. The clamp idea sounds like the best bet, does anyone know where i can get suitable ones from at all?   
AJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2009 at 3:45pm
any1 please? bluearan seem to stock them but would this be ok to hold an 18inch driver in place?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>