Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Active vs passive, pros and cons

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DigitalMind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Active vs passive, pros and cons
    Posted: 24 July 2009 at 1:14pm
Hi guys

what are the advantages and disadvantages of both passive and active systems. which will sound much better? which offers much control and convenience? which to use when, etc...
All aspects, bring them down
cheers!
An average human being swallows 8 spiders during sleep in their lifetime
AlfieDring View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfieDring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2009 at 2:01pm
A well designed active system offers advantages like:
1) less chance of operator error (less to plug in wrong)
2) excellent driver protection
3) well matched amplifiers for drivers

Cheap active systems (think SRM450, or wharfedales offerings) have quite a few failings, generally these are things like amps getting too hot or generally underrated and general poor design/cheap components.

If your into the budget end of things i'd stay away from active systems with the possible exception of "utter crap" gigs, stuff like providing the soundtrack for an aerobics class :P Possibly also for DJ monitors as they really only need to hear the snare and hats. There are better active systems that are probably worth using in the subs + poles format but i dont think i've heard any so wont comment.

Correctly operated passive systems can sound superb. I think im right in saying that all the major manufacturers line arrays and other concert spec systems are 99% passive cabinets with appropriate amplification and processing located seperatly. Theres a few exceptions like martin ASX and FK1 do some active bits and bobs?

Generally it depends what your doing, what size gig? what client? What budget?
Killyp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Killyp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2009 at 2:12pm
Before we get carried away, let's just clear some things up.

Active does not mean the amplifiers are built into the speakers. That's called a 'powered' system.

Active is basically when the speaker crossover is driven actively, ie, it's powered by a power supply, as opposed to being powered by the signal from the amplifier (which causes distortion, called Passive). In active systems, each driver or frequency band has it's own amplifier, and the crossover comes before the amplifiers in the signal chain, meaning each amplifier only reproduces a limited frequency range.

Many companies offer active systems where the amplifiers are separate. A typical active speaker is the Nexo PS15, which can be driven actively with separate amplifiers.

It used to be the case that active systems were vastly superior to passive systems, but as crossover design has changed a lot in the last X years, passive systems are now often getting very close to a similar level of performance to many active systems, although they still have their limitations. For example, you can't electronically time-align drivers in a passive system unless it's bi-amped.
<profound statement>
DigitalMind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DigitalMind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2009 at 10:17am
thanks for the clarity over active system. by all account i meant to say powered
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2009 at 11:19am
Powered speakers have each their own power supplies, crossover, limiting and amplifier, so that can be less cost friendly.
Much depends on how you use them,what kind of places you use them in and the size of events you do. I'm a "powered-user" for about 25 years and from experience I can say this :
No more thinking about how many speakers on amplifier(s), no impedance mismatch.
If one speaker or amp fails, the others keep going, so not a bunch mids or lows or whatever that are out.
No need for speakercables, only standard XLR and mains cables.
Impossible to connect highs on sub outlet or things like that.
Setting up a delay line is easy, just run a balanced XLR cable from a delayprocessor, no need for seperate amplifiers and crossovers for every delayed cabinet. Used like this, the cost disadvantage of powered cabinets gets turned into a a cost saver and user practical advantage.
No more seperate amplifiers, crossovers or racks to transport, not a bad thing either. Not only the place needed to transport it, but can also be a plus on the job itself when place is scarse.
There are a few disadvantages. The extra weight in each cabinet can be a minus in stacking (takes manpower) and rigging (weight limits of the venue or stage). And if your use is only fairly big to very big events, than it's not so wise to go for a powered system because having a complete "amprack" in each cab so to speak, gets definately expensive.

Edited by Peter Jan - 26 July 2009 at 11:21am
DJkg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJkg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2009 at 4:32am
The way I look at it, much smaller shows, powered (active) gear is fine. However you have much more flexibility with passive gear. For instance compare the low end JBL sub, the JRX118s. Active vs Passive. The Active version has a 300/500 watt power rating from the built it amp, however the passive version has a 350/1400 watt power rating. Now this is the same speaker, same box dimension etc.  Now a watt is a watt so if you bring your own amp you can feed it almost 3 times the power. Granted this would get you maybe 4 more dB at most, but say you have 4 of these subs, the added power that you can push in the passive cabs will make a huge difference, not to mention sound better.

So yes you have to bring more gear, but you can get the system to sound better through better power ratings in the gear. Not to mention it could be cheaper in the long run going the passive route since you have better cooling of the amps with passive gear etc.
J PHIN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J PHIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2009 at 3:31pm

woo hoo thats 2 things i have learnt today.....thanx

DigitalMind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DigitalMind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2009 at 7:08am
I best like powered units for monitors
kevin tyler View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2009 at 11:10am
my mate uses Meyer UPQ1 fantastic sound, a bit heavy unless you have arms like Garth.

LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply