Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Peace, Love and Unity horns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Peace, Love and Unity horns
    Posted: 29 July 2009 at 11:13am
MK2 unity horn

A definate improvement over the MK1 mockup. Ran it up wth an xta running audiocore and 3 channels of amp power. Found the correct Hi mid and Lo mid delays and then measured and eq'd the horn. The conical CD horn means that the HF needs a good 10db of boost from 7k up. 

With just the hi mid and Hf things sounded like before. very clear and detailed but just a little uncomfortable. 

Added the 12's.... WOW! the whole thing came together and suddenly we were listening and thinking.. "hmm, holey moley... that sounds REALLY nice!" 

We think that the skytronic 5" mids are kinda letting the side down a bit though. The fs is a little too low and they need boosting 6db in the 800-1500hz region. Other than that I think there's definately something there very special going on. A unique detailed sound.. so detailed in fact that you can really pick out the difference between the bit rates in the mp3s.  Need to run them loud before we can really decide if its a better difference. 

Need to build the box and enclose and port the 12's, then I think it'l sound even better. Then the crossover.... FUN!

will post more photos and plots later..

Minirig portable soundsystem movement
Ryan94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 11:17am
looking good!Big smile cant wait to see the finished product.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 2:29pm
Is that a Martin amp?
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
james folkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james folkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 3:57pm
i believe that martin amp is a re-badged lab fp, earlier ones are c-audios apparently.

i made a unity horn using the skytec 5"s, not quite got it right though and it doesn't sound so hot. planning on building another pair with a push pull 2 x 10" beneath, although looking at yours i wonder if i shouldn't try mounting the low mid drivers "correctly"...

james.
mardy hippy.
davey t View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 4:37pm
What CD did you use james? And how did you set it up? Any pics? 

Yea I really think the skyteks do kinda work but are letting the side down. 

The interesting thing was that the correct delays were longer than I had imagined. 7cm for the Himids and 40cm for the loMids.

I had calculated 6 for the Hi and 30 for the low. 
LjudLahger View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 7:05pm
Nice! do you got a photo or a sketch of the back and driver arrangement? 
james folkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james folkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 8:04pm
i used an old rcf 1" i had knocking around, but have since bought a pair of bms 4550s. not got around to putting them in yet, will (formerly far_dreaming) had the comps for a bit for evaluation and reckons they are going to work well, of course they will allow for a very low crossover point if necessary.

we built the horn around a narrow dispersion principle, 30 degree conical, but didn't finish the secondary bit of the flare either, so it didn't load properly all the way down for the 5" band. the crossover point we based the hole layout/size on was 1.4k. i think. might have been 1.2...

there is a bit of paper floating around with all the details and processor settings, i shall keep an eye out. the horn is upstairs in a room which i am currently excavating in the hope of unearthing a pair of alesis midiverbs i haven't seen in a few months, i shall get a picture or two when it breaks surface.

i'm glad you can make entry holes smaller than the horn's csa at that point, it led to the problem of overcrowding in ours.

can't believe i missed you at glade dude.

james.
mardy hippy.
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 8:09pm
Your house sounds mental James
davey t View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2009 at 2:46pm
yea It was a minor breakthrough when I read one of danleys posts about a hypothetical DIY unity horn. He basically said you need to find 4 5" closed back midranges with a FS around 500hz. Then use 2 holes for each 3/4" in diameter. Its interesting how the low mid still horn loads really well when the holes they are firing through are so much smalled than the horn area they load into. I modeled it in Hornresp you see

Yea James. Whats your next festival? i'l be at boomtown and shambala. Try to make it to shambala everyone n check out my 12v disco :)
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2009 at 9:46am
Dave

I've lost your number - give me a call. your inbox is full BTW

cheers
Phil
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2009 at 9:54pm
any updates...?
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2009 at 8:54am
two B&C 8NDL51 mid drivers and a BMS 4550 compression driver. The horn will cover 100Hz on up.
http://www.cowanaudio.com/
djk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>