Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Peace, Love and Unity horns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2009 at 1:18pm
Runt?
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2009 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by _djk_ _djk_ wrote:

two B&C 8NDL51 mid drivers and a BMS 4550 compression driver. The horn will cover 100Hz on up.
http://www.cowanaudio.com/
very nice.

good aesthetic about this cab.  how many people would you think a pair of these will cover for live?
REFLEX ALL THE WAY.... (however, im playing with horns again...) That ok Mister Valiant? :)
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2009 at 2:55pm
djk do you have a link to the thread for the dual b&c 8ndl51 cab by any chance? couldn't find anything on his website.
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2009 at 3:16pm
oooh very nice. why is the back corner cut off? under balcony mounting? or is it upside down in that photo?
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
trance addict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trance addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2009 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by _djk_ _djk_ wrote:

two B&C 8NDL51 mid drivers and a BMS 4550 compression driver. The horn will cover 100Hz on up.
http://www.cowanaudio.com/

it looks like a danley SH95
"There are two kinds of fools,

One says-this is old and therefore good.

The other says-this is new and therefore better."

-Bob Katz
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2009 at 12:08am
"why is the back corner cut off? "

It's to be hung in his workshop.

" do you have a link to the thread for the dual b&c 8ndl51 cab by any chance? couldn't find anything on his website. "

The above photo, and this text is all there is:

"I'm currently working on a 2 way 60x90 degree unity horn for the workshop. It uses two B&C 8NDL51 mid drivers and a BMS 4550 compression driver. The horn will cover 100Hz on up. Woodwork is complete on a pair, I just need to spend the time doing the crossovers in CALSOD. A few other projects are keeping me away from this low priority though very interesting speaker system. "

Edited by _djk_ - 28 August 2009 at 12:09am
djk
cowanaudio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowanaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2009 at 3:17am
Perhaps I can add a bit to this?

This horn is very similar to the SPL Runt. Sensitivity and low frequency corner will be a bit higher. The compression driver is the same, and the horn flair is very similar. The outer edge of the horn flair has been modified/extended because a grill is not required in my application. I love music when I'm in the workshop, and the Unity horn works well at solving many of the acoustic issues present. I have brick/concrete on all surfaces. The back corner is truncated just like the Runt so it can be hung under the concrete slab ceiling nice and tight and not hang down too far.

When it get's a bit warmer I'll do the measurement runs and develop a crossover for the horn. I'll post more info when I have made some more progress. This is just the proto horn flair, I'll make the final out of ply.

Cheers

William Cowan

Edited by cowanaudio - 28 August 2009 at 3:23am
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2009 at 5:03pm
from the man himself! thanks for the info, looks like a really interesting projectSmile
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2009 at 11:19pm
yo william.

great work on the runt style unity.  please can you explain the reasons for the oval mid throats?  is this what is employed in danleys original model? 

im interested to know why oval instead of just round holes?  does it allow better time/phase of the mid than using a circular hole of the same area?  also, is the inside of the cabinet sectioned off to limit the air volume the mids get?  and if not, how tightly packed is your wadding in the cab? 

nice to see you here man.  follow your projects regularly and have learned some interesting stuff from your works on your unities.  cheers  
REFLEX ALL THE WAY.... (however, im playing with horns again...) That ok Mister Valiant? :)
cowanaudio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowanaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2009 at 11:57pm
G'day Guys

The port holes are following Tom's lead. I do intend to try a few different shapes/positions. I believe the logic behind the oval slots is to minimise the discontinuity from the compression driver. If you are looking down the horn from the throat, the midbass holes are quite narrow. If they were round they would be a lot wider, for the same area.

The 8" drivers use the whole interior of the enclosure. I will play with stuffing, but there will be plenty. I usually use 1/2" thick felt on all surfaces, then stuff with polyester. This has worked well in other designs of mine.

Cheers

William Cowan

Edited by cowanaudio - 29 August 2009 at 1:09am
Patrick Bateman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patrick Bateman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2009 at 12:15am
Originally posted by davey t davey t wrote:

We think that the skytronic 5" mids are kinda letting the side down a bit though. The fs is a little too low and they need boosting 6db in the 800-1500hz region. Other than that I think there's definately something there very special going on. A unique detailed sound.. so detailed in fact that you can really pick out the difference between the bit rates in the mp3s.  Need to run them loud before we can really decide if its a better difference. 

Because everything is radiating from the same point in space, the intelligibility is breathtaking.  I have to drive about three hours this evening, and I'm really looking forward to listening to mine.  (It's in my car.)

The trickiest part by far is the midranges.  Check out what I posted here:

The key is that you need a midrange with a very specific set of parameters.  Basically, pick how high you want your midranges to play in the horn, and then find one where (2 * (FS/QES)) is equal to that number.

So far the best I've found is this:

Don't laugh - a set of four have an efficiency of 102DB on a waveguide.  That's what happens when you combine a paper cone and a neodymium motor!
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2009 at 8:32pm
patrick,

well done for finding so many mid drivers. it would be good if that spreadsheet had Sd, xmax, and RMS power on it too.

cheers
Phil
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>