Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

P.audio BM-D440 s2 review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: P.audio BM-D440 s2 review
    Posted: 05 August 2009 at 12:40pm
I just bought four of those and have done a listening test...

To a RCF H100 horn with 2500Hz highpass, SOUNDS CRAP!

Did a A + B test with a BM-D450 s1 and that older driver sounds much much better.

I know that this is a budget driver but come on! Very hard and lack of highmid...the voices sounds empty and over 8000hz it sounds that almost everything is missing, no "deep" only hard and weird sound...

So I will prob send those back because I would not even use this driver as stage monitor...

//swe

LjudLahger View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2009 at 2:25am
Ok now have I come down...

I tried on of 440 in my V-shape top and I mannish to make it sound "ok" with alot of eq, 6,3khz and up.

That kombo, bm-d440 + rcf h100 = crap

but i think the driver must have a longer and bigger horn then h100 to get the "honkiness" away and between + 8 and 12dB from 6,3 to 16khz...

Not very good...so I don't know yet if I should keep them...something to fry?

//swe
djtuffer View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djtuffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2009 at 8:47am
Are you applying CD Horn equalisation ?  All compression driver/CD horn combinations will require this to perform well.
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2009 at 9:59am
Originally posted by SweSound SweSound wrote:

So I will prob send those back because I would not even use this driver as stage monitor...

//swe

On a budget, the Celestion CDX1745 is quite good.

"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2009 at 1:26pm

Did a A + B test with a BM-D450 s1 and that older driver sounds much much better.

I thought the new s2 series of P.audio's drivers are meant to be a massive improvement!
Could it be a bit of bad luck & the one's you have are faulty?

**Heavy Weight-Line**
A home without books is like a body with no soul.
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2009 at 1:31pm
is it possible that either you need better compensation for the CD horn, or the entry angle of the RCF horn is disagreeing massively with the exit angle/phase plug geometry of the driver? maybe worth trying with a number of other horns before going to the effort of sending them back...

CDs sometimes take time to sweeten up too, my DE250s sounded harsher when i first got them from what i can tell.

Edited by darkmatter - 06 August 2009 at 1:31pm
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2009 at 6:21pm
No I have not used CD Horn equalisation...we do not have any fancy digital processors or something like that. I have a Rane AC23b and a DOD 830s2 eq. There is a cd horn thing inside the rane unit you can switch or do...I think, I will look at that....or was it something else you was thinking about that I don't know about?

And yes, I thought too that series 2 would be much better with magnetic oil and fancy look...

So after today we decide that we will keep them and I will try build my own flare, like in the V-top but with 2 drivers...so time will see.

Darkmatter, maybe you are right, we will try play them for a wile and see.

Lev, selenium is kind of rare here so that mod would be hard to get hold of...
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2009 at 2:17pm
you'd expect that on a constant directivity horn the high frequency response will drop off at about 6db/octave above 4000hz (roughly! not sure what frequency it'll start to roll off at).

without compensating for this it will sound louder around 2-3000hz, which could be what you're hearing as the honkiness.

the CD horn switch on your rane unit should hopefully help the situationSmile
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2009 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by darkmatter darkmatter wrote:

you'd expect that on a constant directivity horn the high frequency response will drop off at about 6db/octave above 4000hz (roughly! not sure what frequency it'll start to roll off at).

without compensating for this it will sound louder around 2-3000hz, which could be what you're hearing as the honkiness.

the CD horn switch on your rane unit should hopefully help the situationSmile

Yes we have to solder a cap on the circuit board Wink
Wiii, now the weekend is saved!

Thanks for all your help!

//swe
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2009 at 6:03pm

Confused

I said Celestion CDX 1745 mate. But crossover point is only approx 2200hz.

Edited by levyte357 - 07 August 2009 at 6:04pm
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2009 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

Confused

I said Celestion CDX 1745 mate. But crossover point is only approx 2200hz.

OOps! My bad! Ouch

That driver seem to be really nice! High power handling Shocked
Celestion cdx1-1415 and cdx1-1425 are only the one I can get easy here.
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2009 at 8:17am
Swe, what price did you pay for the P.Audio comps?

Tony
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>